might be a really silly question...

emalou90

Reaction score
when you give birth i've always assumed they give you the baby (after checks etc) and you feed it straight away (am i diluded? or is this the case most times?)...

i don't really feel like im going to be able to feed straight away, i want to have some time with baby, then go and get cleaned up myself, THEN feed baby when IM comfortable after having a quick shower.

does anyone have any experience to share ?
there's just not much info on this.

I was wondering the same thing myself this morning. When I had my DS, I didn't feed him until after he had been checked and I'd had been stitched and had a bath but that was 17 years ago so I guess things might have changed a bit xx

I think it depends on the baby- some are quite happy to wait a bit whereas others seem to search for food straight away. Ithink the recommendations are to feed within an hour if you plan on breastfeeding though x

u can specify how u feel for ur birth huni, so do u want baby passed immediately - do u want baby cleaned or passed straight to u from birth - do u want baby placed on ur bare chest to try to feed if she's passed straight to u etc x x x

doesn't feeding the baby help the placenta come out? :shrug:

I was wondering the same thing myself this morning. When I had my DS, I didn't feed him until after he had been checked and I'd had been stitched and had a bath but that was 17 years ago so I guess things might have changed a bit xx

yeah im not sure wether they will just go, *throws baby at me* quick feed now.
haha.

i wouldnt feel comfy doing it straight away if you know what i mean x

after having ds he was taken off and checked while i got stiched up then they brought him through to me for a cuddle and i attempted to feed but he wasnt interested lol so i went and had my shower and cleaned up and changed to my post natal room and then fed him there.
if the birth is uncomplicated ( mine was assisted ) then they should lay baby on your tummy for some skin to skin contact and bonding and alot of women feed at this time or try to a bit.

if things go more to plan this time hopefully i'll have a waterbirth so lift baby out of the water and bring them to my chest to cuddle right off and i'll probably nurse the baby just to help everything else happen smoothly ( i dont want the injection for the 3rd stage this time ) and i'll stay in the pool for a bit and share that time with baby and DH then he gets to hold baby while i go shower and change then i'll properly nurse baby once we are settled

PAH no idea!?
i suppose if it does, then i'll just have to go for feeding asap.

of course i agree that it depends if my baby is screaming i'll feed her straight away (breastfeeding)

PAH no idea!?

of course i agree that it depends if my baby is screaming i'll feed her straight away (breastfeeding)

They say it does as it releases hormones that help the uterus contract ( hence why BF'ing women often get afterpains when they feed ) which helps the placenta come away

Hi

I haven't had a baby yet, so what I say comes from reading and from ante-natal classes (NCT and a private ante-natal workshop that I attended).

Once you give birth, assuming everything is fine, the MWs to VERY MINIMAL checks on the baby (basically is he breathin and responding) and hand him/her straight to you (you can request to have the baby cleaned, but the "in vogue" thing is to have them as they are: since the sticky stuff on their skin is supposed to be VERY good for their skin - removing it encourages the skin to dry out - it is better for it to be naturally absorbed...).

So, within a minute or two, the baby should be placed on your chest. Their natural reaction may be to serach for your nipple and try to feed... (although not all babies will). They wont be able to feed "properly" because you will only have Colostrum (and not proper milk). But it is always a good idea to encourage them to feed - if that is what they want.

Whilst all of this is going on, the MW/Obstetrician will be checking you out - this generally takes quite a bit longer than the baby. You need to deliver the placenta, then the midwives need to check you for bleeding, they need to stitch any sizeable tears/episiotomy (it is really quite common for women to need stitches), check the placenta etc (to make sure that you haven't retained any). This will take a bit of time and will need to be done before you can get up and have a shower.

Also midwives/duolas etc are very hot on the topic of "the golden hour": this is the hour immediately after the baby is born and when the baby is most alert (probably more alert than they will be for days/weeks after the birth). This is THE best time for bonding and stimulation with his/her parents and a GREAT time to try to pick up latching on (first feed). You wont get this hour again....

So in reality, although - at the moment - your thoughts about after the birth are "get a shower and get into some clean clothes as soon as possible"... when the time comes, things will probbaly be quite different... You will likely be knackered, not keen to move, unable to move (because you are still being checked out and maybe stitched) and you will be completely caught up with your baby (just wanting to take everything about them in and not let go of them... :cloud9: ).

As I said, though - that is from what I have been told and not personal experience... :winkwink:

I would say, go in with an open mind and "go with the flow". You are unlikely to be in a rush for a shower afterwards: take your time, enjoy that first hour with your baby and - if baby's instinct is to try to feed - why fight it? They say, with newborns, that it is best not to ignore their needs.

QT

PAH no idea!?

They say it does as it releases hormones that help the uterus contract ( hence why BF'ing women often get afterpains when they feed ) which helps the placenta come away

Yes... not only does the contracting help release the placenta (the contracting uterus makes the placenta sheer off of the side of the uterus), but the contracting also helps to seal the blood vessels (exposed as the placenta sheers away) and reduces the chances of Haemorrhage...

BUT if you go for a "Managed Third Stage" (you have an injection in your thigh), then the drug will have the same effect as breastfeeding (and contract the uterus)...

QT

thanks QT.
i realise that quite clearly its a massive job to give birth haha and i wont be jumping up straight after, but just want to feel comfortable asap you know?
then again, i probably wont care and just want to sit there with baby for quite a while before realising about myself haha!

thanks for the info on it xxx

thanks QT.
i realise that quite clearly its a massive job to give birth haha and i wont be jumping up straight after, but just want to feel comfortable asap you know?
then again, i probably wont care and just want to sit there with baby for quite a while before realising about myself haha!

thanks for the info on it xxx

Yeah, I could be completely wrong (we are all different), but I think that there will be other things on your mind... :winkwink:. Don't worry too much about it now (as they say with childbirth, NOTHING goes to plan... :winkwink: ), but "go with the flow" when you get there.

Exciting times :cloud9:

QT

I'm glad QTpie is around... I was going to post something sensibly similar but she did all the hard work! Now I can go and have a nap! :)

I'm glad QTpie is around... I was going to post something sensibly similar but she did all the hard work! Now I can go and have a nap! :)

Your turn next time, so that I can nap... :winkwink:

QT

As a NICU nurse, I have to say: Plllleeease feed your baby soon, if at all possible! I know some babies may be sleepy (due to Pethidine perhaps, which is one of the reasons I don't want it), but if baby is alert, please do try to feed. After this hour of being alert, baby will usually sleep for a good 4-5 hours. If baby hasn't eaten in that first hour, that's a long time with no energy (they do have glucagon stores to help with this; also even though colostrum isn't much at all, it's packed with what they need, so a little bit does do a good job). If that first feed is missed, it may be difficult to wake baby to feed again. This could cause the blood sugar to drop, which starts a chain reaction of what should be avoidable problems.

And sometimes the midwives are quite busy and aren't able to ensure that baby has fed in that first hour (personally, I think there is no excuse for this, as it's part of the labour/delivery process), so it's important for us to realise we need to get even a little bit of milk in the baby sooner rather than later.

thank you MandaAnda - i suppose it does make total sense. i appreciate from your experience as a NICU Nurse :) x

No problem. I'd feel bad if I didn't say anything. I've had mums tell me that the midwife (but for all I know, it could've been an assistant or whatever) has told them, "Oh, don't worry. You get some rest, and baby can get some rest" while, if I'd been there, I'd be thinking, "Oh my god! Feed that baby!! ...then rest."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->