might be a really silly question...

yea it must be difficult sometimes not to say anything.
but when i think about it now... it'll benefit bubba, help her sleep then hopefully have a more contented baby in the long run? haha we hope so! :thumbup: xx

Also i heard that if you dont hve it in your birth plan then some places may even give your baby the bottle instead of asking you if you want to BF. I cant remember who told me but i remember them saying that you have to remind MW that you want to BF after ( if thats what you want to do of course)

oh thats good to know.
imagine if you were really against bottle feeding and they just shoved one in your babys face... you'd be furious!

If anyone gave my baby a bottle without ascertaining by which method I intended to feed (I intend to breastfeed), I'd throw an almighty fit.

Most hospitals are supposed to be working towards being "Baby Friendly", which includes making sure baby is solely breastfed, if that's what mum wants to do. I've put something in my birth plan like, "Please ensure my baby stays close to me, as I intend to breastfeed" and have also stipulated that I'd like to *try* to breastfeed before baby is all cleaned up and checks carried out whilst delivering the placenta, if possible.

You can find out if your hospital is Baby Friendly or working towards it (it takes a long time) and can even write to the chief exec, which I did for the old hospital I worked for. The hospital I'm with for my pregnancy has "intent registered", and the one I work for is "applying for certificate". Not many hospitals are very far in this, but the ones in Scotland and Wales are doing great!

*hops down off her soapbox*

If anyone gave my baby a bottle without ascertaining by which method I intended to feed (I intend to breastfeed), I'd throw an almighty fit.

Most hospitals are supposed to be working towards being "Baby Friendly", which includes making sure baby is solely breastfed, if that's what mum wants to do. I've put something in my birth plan like, "Please ensure my baby stays close to me, as I intend to breastfeed" and have also stipulated that I'd like to *try* to breastfeed before baby is all cleaned up and checks carried out whilst delivering the placenta, if possible.

You can find out if your hospital is Baby Friendly or working towards it (it takes a long time) and can even write to the chief exec, which I did for the old hospital I worked for. The hospital I'm with for my pregnancy has "intent registered", and the one I work for is "applying for certificate". Not many hospitals are very far in this, but the ones in Scotland and Wales are doing great!

*hops down off her soapbox*

really appreciate all your info!
my hospital is also 'Intent registered' i'm guessing that's good? haha :dohh:

i will be very clear on what i want during my hospital stay (or OH if i am out of it for some reason haha) xx

"Intent registered" means they're at least aware of it and should be working towards it.

If you do a birth plan, maybe make sure there're enough copies so that you can give the labour ward midwives one to keep with your notes and that you have one on you in case they "misplace" it or for your OH to refer to if you're in no position to politely converse! hehe

I had a bleed after Ollie was born, so he was taken away to be checked by the doctor, whilst they dealt with me...after I delivered the placenta and they had stitched me up, I was given baby for some skin on skin time (I think this was probably within 30 mins of birth). We just had a little nuzzling practise, with possibly some latch and feeding...although at the time I remember thinking that he probably wasn't 'feeding' as such.

I had an epidural during labour, so was not allowed to get up for a bath or shower....I had to wait a while for a nurse to come and give me a bed bath. Although I was pretty icky during this time...I didn't really think about it, as I was too interested in having family time...just me, hubby and baby...a great bonding time.:cloud9:

Just do whatever feels right for you at the time...all the best.

We'll perhaps get to catch up at the sure start centre soon.:thumbup:

I had a bleed after Ollie was born, so he was taken away to be checked by the doctor, whilst they dealt with me...after I delivered the placenta and they had stitched me up, I was given baby for some skin on skin time (I think this was probably within 30 mins of birth). We just had a little nuzzling practise, with possibly some latch and feeding...although at the time I remember thinking that he probably wasn't 'feeding' as such.

I had an epidural during labour, so was not allowed to get up for a bath or shower....I had to wait a while for a nurse to come and give me a bed bath. Although I was pretty icky during this time...I didn't really think about it, as I was too interested in having family time...just me, hubby and baby...a great bonding time.:cloud9:

oh my gosh! look at your gorgeous photo!!!! :) bless!
did everything go okay for you? were you on time or overdue?
this post has just totally taken me by surprise!
congratulationnnssssss :hugs: and thanks for the advice xxxxx

oh my gosh! look at your gorgeous photo!!!! :) bless!
did everything go okay for you? were you on time or overdue?
this post has just totally taken me by surprise!
congratulationnnssssss :hugs: and thanks for the advice xxxxx

I had some complications towards the end (gestational diabetes and liver function problems), so they booked me for an induction at 37w 2d...however, when examined, I was already 2-3cm dilated with bulging waters, so they didn;t induce in the end, and just left me overnight, and then they broke my waters in the morning...Ollie was born (with the help of both a kiwi suction cap and forceps) just under 12 hours later...not the most plesant of experiences, but he's here safe and sound so it's all good.

I hope your little one makes an appearance for you soon. Good luck.

Lucy x x x

aww stinkyloo im glad after all that your LO was happy and healthy :)

As a NICU nurse, I have to say: Plllleeease feed your baby soon, if at all possible! I know some babies may be sleepy (due to Pethidine perhaps, which is one of the reasons I don't want it), but if baby is alert, please do try to feed. After this hour of being alert, baby will usually sleep for a good 4-5 hours. If baby hasn't eaten in that first hour, that's a long time with no energy (they do have glucagon stores to help with this; also even though colostrum isn't much at all, it's packed with what they need, so a little bit does do a good job). If that first feed is missed, it may be difficult to wake baby to feed again. This could cause the blood sugar to drop, which starts a chain reaction of what should be avoidable problems.

And sometimes the midwives are quite busy and aren't able to ensure that baby has fed in that first hour (personally, I think there is no excuse for this, as it's part of the labour/delivery process), so it's important for us to realise we need to get even a little bit of milk in the baby sooner rather than later.

As a midwife (ex NICU), all midwives are pretty adamant about encouraging a feed within the hr due to those very reasons and it gives the milk supply a better chance of acheiving its potential too the sooner you breastfeed. The unit as a whole find it unacceptable if a baby hasn't fed. Being a baby friendly certified unit, it is also a priority in our job that a baby receives a feed within the hr and most definately prior to going to the postnatal ward. On some occasions a baby is unable to feed, i.e. too tired, not interested. But there are other measures that takes place so a baby at my unit receives something, therefore avoiding this chain reaction, for example expressed breast milk.

On some occasions when the delivery suite has been busy and a lady has delivered and yet to breastfeed, occasionally but rarely we have to prioritise our care if caring for more than one lady. Breastfeeding will get initiated but if another lady is delivering in the other room, unfortunately this has to take priority and the breastfeed will be delayed.

:)

I'm glad your unit sees the importance in this, Loulou. And you being ex-NICU is a great advantage and no doubt gives you insight.

Unfortunately, at both hospitals I've worked at, I've found that not *all* midwives are so adamant about encouraging that first feed within the first hour (just as I'm sure you'd agree that not *all* NICU nurses are on the ball - I've met some that are either more "set in their ways" and refuse to bow to evidence-based practice or just seem to have no clue somehow!), either due to what the mother has told me or things we find out after baby is admitted with low glucose and temperature. I don't know why this happens, but it does seem to be related to staffing issues (again, not the individual midwife's fault but rather the crazy targets the government feels it knows best about).

But, yes, I'd say that *most* midwives understand the importance of this and act on it.

Yes, we health professionals are always at the mercy of the 'government' and 'funding'. They seem to be the words of daily practice lol :)

I had my son 10 years ago. I held him for a little bit. Used the restroom because I had to go so bad, moved to another room, showered and I don't remember anything after that. All I know is when I woke up he was in the room. I passed out, I was exhausted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->