Mikel ??

iluvcocopops

Mum to Molly-Rose
Reaction score
ok so I'm looking for an alternative to Michael. I love Michael but can't pick it for family reasons. I quite like Mikel - which too be honest sounds the same as Michael, just looks different. Should I go for something like this or just move onto a new name?

My only issue with Mikel is I wouldn't know how to pronounce it if I saw it. Looks like "Mick-el" on first glance and if it's still pronounced "Michael" isn't that likely to have the same issue with family? There are other alternatives to Michael... Micah, for instance. There's also Mikhail. I'm sure there are others!

I like the alternate spelling, but if you can't use Michael for family reasons would there be any friction using it with a different spelling? I don't know your situation but would it be possible to talk about how much you love the name to your family, maybe they won't mind you using it?

I agree with both pp regarding family issues. Plus, I would most definitely pronounce it Mick-el.

I loath weird spellings, I've always felt people that have odd spelled names either had foreign parents who didn't know how to properly spell the name (my own mother's case) or just set the child up for a lifetime of having to spell their name for people. It's just an opinion and I always believe you should do what's right for you but do bear this in mind, I'm not alone in this train of thought.

I loath weird spellings, I've always felt people that have odd spelled names either had foreign parents who didn't know how to properly spell the name (my own mother's case) or just set the child up for a lifetime of having to spell their name for people. It's just an opinion and I always believe you should do what's right for you but do bear this in mind, I'm not alone in this train of thought.

+1, totally!

I know a Mikel and he pronounces it Mick-el (rhymes with Miguel) so I'd say you'd run into some pronounciation issues.

And don't think having Michael spelled differently solves the family problem as most of the time the name will be spoken, not written down.

I like the name but wouldn't know how to pronounce it.

Meekah I like this name better than a weird spelling of Michael.and there's an awesome singer named Micah too.

Since you asked, I think you really need to let it go and find another name. You've got a very good reason for not using Michael and anything related I think would come with similar issues as Michael itself. Especially if it's essentially pronounced the same!
So I'd say pick one of the other lovely names you've come up with and leave it at that. Once your boy is here, he'll grow into his name anyway and you'll never be able to see him as anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->