MIL delivered my baby--my lightening fast unplanned homebirth

amerikiwi

Mum of 2
Reaction score
Wow, it's been a week already and I'm finally getting a couple of minutes to write up my birth story.

8:00am Woke up after best night's sleep in months

8:15am Got into shower. Sometime during the shower my contractions started. No clocks around but I thought they seemed closer than I remembered with my first child.

8:40am Got out of shower and got dressed. Heard daughter waking and was having too many contractions to get her. Woke up DH and asked him to get DD and told him labour has started.

8:45am DH comes back into bedroom to find me hunched over the end of the bed. He starts asking questions about how many contractions, etc. I'm too far into focusing 100% on my breaths in order to get through contractions so don't answer any of his questions. In hindsight we should have realized that I did the same thing during transition with DD1. DH calls babysitter who doesn't answer. Then calls midwife and explains that I'm getting no break in the contractions so can't answer their questions. Midwife says sounds like time to go into hospital and DH goes to put bags in car. MIL is visiting from abroad and DH tells MIL that I'm in labour. She comes into room to check on me and realizes that I've progressed much faster than expected.

DH came back up from putting bags in car and said it was time to go. MIL asked me if I felt I could go in the car. No was the clear answer. DH calls midwife to explain there's no breaks in contractions in order to move me. Midwife calls ambulance on our behalf. The rest of the phone conversation went something like this:

MW: Have waters broken?
As DH asks me about waters, they break while I'm sitting on toilet
MW: Where is she?
DH: On toilet
MW: Get her off toilet
DH: She already hopped off and is on all fours.
MW: Is she pushing?
DH: I don't think so--oh wait, there's a head!
MIL then instructs DH to get lots of towels.

9:01am My MIL then guides the head out instructing me to pant until the next contraction. After half a push, our bouncing baby boy was born. He was not breathing at first, so just as they do in the movies, my MIL hung him upside down by his ankles and gave him a smack on the bottom. We then heard the most beautiful scream.

DH: Mum's hanging him upside down and gave him a smack on the bottom
MW: No, no we don't do that anymore
DH: Too late. It worked though

2 ambulances and a midwife arrived at the house about 10 minutes after birth. By then I had our son on my chest and he had beautiful pink colouring. We were taken to hospital to deliver the placenta and have a quick check over. I had only a slight graze which needed no stitching. Both of us were given a clean bill of health and allowed home by lunchtime!

So with a total labour time of less than 45 minutes, Jayden was born at home, weighing in at 8lb 5.5oz (4.2kg) and 22 inches long. My 22 month old daughter was in the lounge reading books during the delivery. She came into the bathroom soon after delivery and met her little brother. She's as smitten as my DH and I at our newest family addition. We wonder if he'll be a swimmer given his fast swim from womb to world.

Here's Jayden on his birth day:
316448_10150389415319819_610229818_8092900_892348323_n.jpg

wow :shock: well done! lucky you have such a sensible and calm mil!

That's amazing! Well done, lucky MIL was on hand! Can't wait to see a pic of your lovely boy xx congratulations!

Wow!! What a delivery!! ha ha Amazing!!

Congratulations!! x x x

Wow, congratulations! :flower: what a story to tell to your ds x

Wow! Sounds like my kinda birth lol

Well done congrats

Xx

I love the " mums hanging him upside down" " no no we don't do that anymore" " too late it worked tho" lol

Had that been me I wouldve been in hysterics!

Many congrats lol xxx

Omg! What an amazing story! Congratulations :]

what an amazing story to say grandma delivered them :) and how amazing was she helping them to breath.. i wouldnt have had a clue.. so happy for you x Congrats!! :)

wow congrats, im hoping mine is fast but not that fast have to give DH time to get home from work

Wow that's amazing. Congrats xxxxxxx

Wow what an amazing birth story huge congrats! Kudos to your mil aswel

Aww fab birthing story! MIL sounded great!
Glad everything went okay :) x

Wow that's fabulous and so quick!!!! Congratulations and well done to all of you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->