Milk Supply- domperidone?

Guppy051708

2 by Sea 2 by Land
Reaction score
Ive had a super low milk supply since giving birth. Been meeting with a lactation consultant 1-3x per week. After trying EVERYTHING (and i mean everything from pumping, to herbal remedies, to eating certain foods, to eliminating certain foods, using an SNS-everything) and nothing would work for increasing it (im only making 1/4th of what i should be ! With that said and after 4 weeks of seeing NO increase, the LC suggested i get my prolactin levels checked. So i did and it turns out my number level of prolactin (27.5) is that of a NON lactating woman and that of a man :shock:. Normal for a man or non nursing female is 0-30. A nursing mother should be making at least 100. Anyways, point is my prolactin level has been the isse the entire time. They are going to put me on a drug called domperidone. I was just wondering what your results with this drug was? Did your milk supply remain the same or increase? If it increased- by approximately how much? I just want to know there is light at the end of the tunnel as i intend on BFing for at least a year. And this nursing, pumping, supplementing thing is a lot of work!

I`ve been taking the drug for about a week now. I have noticed that my milk supply has increased, but it can take up to 2 weeks for the drug to take full effect.

I had a hard time on Sunday with this drug because I missed 2 doses from taking naps after a rough night dealing with LO. Please remember to take all of your doses, otherwise you will go through withdrawl symptoms similar to someone who is getting off cocaine. If you want to stop taking this drug, you must wean yourself off of it slowly.

Do not let this discourage you, it is a perfectly good drug to take while breastfeeding. I have had no horrible symptoms or side effects while taking it, apart from being slightly more tired than normal. My milk supply has increased and LO is happy that he can drink milk instead of formula!

thank you! That is very encouraging!
so do you think i'll be able to kick the formula? will i increase by that much? I would be thrilled if that were the case!!!

I'm not sure if you could increase that much (then again I haven't hit the 2 week mark yet so I don't know), but at the very least you could BF a few times a day and top LO up with formula here and there. I hope to be able to produce enough milk to kick the formula as well.

Good luck to you!

Hello, I experienced a huge drop in supply this month and my LO lost 2 oz in 4 weeks. I asked the GP for domperidone as I had also tried EVERYthing else. He wouldnt prescribe it so I bought it myself and over 48 hrs (of 30mg 3 times a day) I noticed a large increase in my supply, my breasts tingled like when I first got my milk in and I can now express after feeds whereas before I know I did not have enough milk for my son. Fingers crossed it works for you xx

I was on it and it HELPED SOO MUCH!
it made me gain alot of weight so when my milk supply was super high i went off of it and i still have a great supply and i have been off it for 2 months!
I hope it works well for you:)

I had about 2-3oz rise each pumping session, a huge difference for us.
Never had to wean off it though, and my LO was on it via syringe for months for reflux and didnt either.

I was on it and it HELPED SOO MUCH!
it made me gain alot of weight so when my milk supply was super high i went off of it and i still have a great supply and i have been off it for 2 months!
I hope it works well for you:)

I've gained a few pounds since I started and I never thought it could be down to the drug! :wacko:Did your weight come off when you stopped? Great news it worked so well for you too x

I had Lyrik at 38+4 weeks
I was 197pounds
I left the hospital at 170
I was put on domperidone When Lyrik was 2 or 3 weeks old
I was about 188 when i went off of it.
I am not 150.
It made me gain about 20 pounds in a month and a half~

Oh great :cry: i was already overweight to begin with, i really cant afford to gain more weight. Do you think all 20 lbs of weight was completely from Domperidone or do you think something else could have contributed.:shrug:

it might not make you gain at all
I have known ALOT of women on it and its only happened to a few.
I am pretty sure if was the medicine since as soon as i went off of it i lost ALOT of weight
But it could just have been my body getting back to normal after having L

The general amount of weight gain (from moms who have been taking it long term) is about 10-15lbs. There is also the thought it makes you a bit snacky, hence the weight gain.

Oh okay. Well assuming it will work, im gonna keep with it. Im not thrilled about the weight gain (especially since im already overweight so its not just an image thing with me but also a health factor) but i think its worth it. & who knows, maybe i'll be lucky and gain an ounce :)

Im kind of a little dissapointed though. The pharmacist and the LC said that you will see an increase by day 3-4 (at least a small increase, may not be much but there should be one) and be at your maximum by week 6. Well, i have yet to see an increase and today is day 4 :sad1: In fact, yesterday i got less than i ever had :shrug: Ive heard that a small percentage of ppl taking it will see a drop in their supply instead of an increase. I really hope thats not the case and that was just a fluke. At any rate, im getting kind of discouraged since i havnt seen any type of increase, not even a super small amount. Obviously there is still much time for it to work, but i am getting a little worried.

Domperidone can make you gain weight because it processes food in your stomach much quicker - therefore leaving you hungry before you realise! This happens with babies who are on domperidone for reflux too.

Im kind of a little dissapointed though. The pharmacist and the LC said that you will see an increase by day 3-4 (at least a small increase, may not be much but there should be one) and be at your maximum by week 6. Well, i have yet to see an increase and today is day 4 :sad1: In fact, yesterday i got less than i ever had :shrug: Ive heard that a small percentage of ppl taking it will see a drop in their supply instead of an increase. I really hope thats not the case and that was just a fluke. At any rate, im getting kind of discouraged since i havnt seen any type of increase, not even a super small amount. Obviously there is still much time for it to work, but i am getting a little worried.

What dose are you taking and how often? x

It seemed to make my supply drop. :( Though my breasts felt fuller and harder less was coming out. I spoke to someone who theorized that while it was working for me it was messing with my milk ejection reflex. :? I sort of feel like I should have given it more of a chance (only took for 3 days), but what we are doing works, more or less, and something like mastitis from incomplete draining would push me over the edge into stopping altogether so...:shrug:

Im taking 20mg 4x per daY.

Well its def. been 5-6 days and i still havn't witnessed an increase, exactly. See i used to take to the pump really well (im aware that some women dont "warm up" to the pump, and therefore its not accurate) when it comes to measuring supply output, however, we had the LC weight our LO, feed him, weigh him again and it was always consistant with what i was getting from my hospital grade pump) anyways, i feel much more full but now when i go to pump, i cant get it all out :dohh: I always still fill like my breasts are full even after increasing the time with the pump. The *offical* output is just as low (if not lower) than before, however, if attempt hand expression i still have a bunch more coming out (idk how much bc it hurts my hands to express that way so i dont think i get it all). Anyways, im just wondering how much it is. But im still upset that i haven't seen that *offical* increase. :sad1: i think i will give the LC a call on Tuesday (tomorrow is Columbus day here- a federal holiday). Maybe she will weight him before and after a feeding and we can see if ive improved any or not.

Update, im pretty sure the pump just isnt getting it all out :nope: because all day today i have been able to get squiriting milk when i squeeze them together! :dance: now, i dont believe im making enough, but i def. think there is an increase! i have never been able to do that before! Guess its just taking longer for my body to adjust. Hopefully it keeps up!

...anyone else with milk supply issues have leaky boobs during pregnancy? Im not trying to be gross or intrude, but when i was pregnant i had colostrum leaking ever sicne 17 weeks...i just think its so odd that i had that the ENTIRE time practically and yet now i have an issue? :shrug: i just dont get it, not that it matters, but was interested.

I'm so pleased for you !! :hugs::happydance: I can never pump much out but I also knew the domperidone had worked for me because I could squeeze it out when before I couldnt! Its amazing, Alex almost chokes sometimes becasue he's used to sucking and sucking and nothing coming whereas now he almost drowns in it on a good feed! The scary thing is I missed a dose the day before last and the effect was instant, I was back to flaccid empty breasts and a frustrated baby! 48hrs later I'm back on track. I just wish the doc would prescribe it for me because its getting expensive. Its worth it though, 3 weeks ago when things were at their worst my son had lost weight, but i got him weighed the other day and he's gained 12 oz!!! :hugs:

https://www.nbci.ca/index.php?optio...ridone-stopping&catid=5:information&Itemid=17
https://www.nbci.ca/index.php?optio...etting-started-&catid=5:information&Itemid=17

Even if domperidone does make you gain lots of weight.... breastfeeding will help you ultimately lose weight. A bit. And avoid lots of nasties, such as reducing your risk of diabetes and breast cancer.

Lots of mums take domperidone and I haven't heard them mention weight gain - I guess it's individual, as so many side effects are!

Melanie

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->