Milk Supply- domperidone?

Wow, my understanding was they wouldn't even prescribe that here in the US. Now I'm a bit pissed as I've had to supplement with formula all these months.

Seity - I thought it had lost its licence in the US due to adverse side effects when administered IV (at doses way higher than needed for BF so dont worry anyone)? :shrug: how long have you had to suppliment for? :flower:

They can prescribe it in the US, but finding a pharmacy that carries it can be tricky. iirc it needs to be a compounding pharmacy. The other option is Reglan (metoclopramide), different drug for similar issues, similar side effects (lactation), one of which is depression. It's also easier to get at the pharmacy than domperidone. In addition you can also buy domperidone without a prescription from various overseas pharmacies (mainly Canada and NZ, though me being in NZ I needed a prescription, go figure).
https://www.breastfeedingonline.com/domperidonewhere.shtml

This is a handout written by Dr. Jack Newman you can give to your Dr. should you need to try getting a prescription:
https://www.breastfeedingonline.com/Dom19abcombinedpdf.pdf

Seity - I thought it had lost its licence in the US due to adverse side effects when administered IV (at doses way higher than needed for BF so dont worry anyone)? :shrug: how long have you had to suppliment for? :flower:

I've been combo feeding since he was 3 months.

Yeah, Seity it is VERY tough to find a provider in the US that will prescribe, but if you are lucky enough to find one like i was, the next toughest thing is finding a compounding pharmacy as bky pointed out. I live in New Hampshire and there is only one pharmacy in the state willing to make it and give it out.In fact, i had to travel almost 2 hours away to get the stuff, and i had to pay $125 for a month supply! The reason why non-compounding pharmacys will not do it is because they have to follow FDA approved guidelines (or at least thats my understanding) therefore, they cannot make it. The ONLY reason its not backed by the FDA for this purpose is because when its given through an IV then it causes MAJOR cardiac issues. But many ppl dont think thats a fair reason because there are NO documented cases from taking it orally :dohh: Also, i think its rather ironic that they prescribe reglan but not Domperidone because reglan is actually considered less safe than domperidone :dohh: The reason compounding pharmacys (pharmacys that can make their own drugs) are "allowed" to make Domperidone (and other nonFDA use approved drugs) is because they support and fund themselves, therefore they do not have to follow government guidlines and FDA use.
As the others have said, you can order it internationally without a prescription, personally i would go with Canada, but thats just my opinion. And if you did want to get a supply (if you no longer have one) or if you want to increase your supply, apparently domperidone is strong enough to do both! From what ive read, adopting mothers can take the stuff and start lactating! Granted, they probably wont make as much as a mother who actually birthed the child, however, it will make a women lactate!

ps i have seen a major improvement! Def. still not where it should be (im far away from that) BUT i actually leaked tonight! :dance: cant believe i am so happy about that! LOL

YAY for leaking!
Never thought I would say that!

:rofl: Me either!!!! I love it! :rofl:

I leaked for the first time in months last night and I loved it too :rofl:

Seity - its not fair is it, I would be supplimenting now if I hadnt thought of buying it from Amazon. The whole thing is ridiculous, I'm pretty sure Reglan is banned in the UK becasue the side effects are worse. Dont feel bad though you have a gorgeous little boy and he looks very happy and healthy and thats the main thing :hugs:

No matter if we have "enough" milk or not, every drop counts! Thats the way i look at it. We are being the best mamas that we can be for our little babies and thats all that matters. The fact that we are working so hard to do whats best means a lot! :hugs:

I LOVE LEAKAGE!!! :rofl:

well said Guppy, if we didnt care we wouldnt be such good mums :hugs:

Exactly :winkwink:

....speaking of leakage...the cloth cow diaper came in the mail yesterday!!! :dance: (can you tell im excited about cute cloth nappys :blush:) Now i wont be the only cow in the house :rofl: ...maybe seeing it will inspire my hooters to work :rofl:

I totally hate leaking :( I do it all the time and to me it's just milk she isn't getting.

I totally hate leaking :( I do it all the time and to me it's just milk she isn't getting.

I was actually thinking that last night! I mean, i love leaking because that means im making more, but when i saw it i thought to myself damn! I NEED to wake that sleeping baby up to feed (or at least pump) otherwise he's not getting the good stuff :sad1: but i am still happy to know there is more there :winkwink:

btw, anyone thats on the Doperidone, have you noticed your LO getting fussy at the boob? I feel like he likes formula better over my milk now :sad1: but it just started in the past week-since ive started the meds...

Are you still using the SNS or boob then bottle? Mine has learned all about bottles vs boob vs SNS and knows if she gets fussy at the boob I'll get out the SNS which even on the smallest tube has a better flow (I guess?). I did notice a lot of fussiness, and felt as if I was getting less milk despite feeling fuller because my LO started taking more formula. :? My breasts never feel fully empty on the domperidone.

Ohh :dohh: I totally forgot about the SNS because once i found out it was a chemical issue with the prolactin i knew it wouldnt make a difference...but now that the chemcial issue is begining to straigten out...maybe it will help increase :dohh: and get rid of that fussie baby thing :D Whoop! thanks for that! i may go fill it up now! :D

Alex gets more fussy on the breast when my milk is flowing well, I think he gets more wind becasue he is so used to having to suck and suck for very little. I an finding the domperidone very expensive and I am wondering if I can wean myself off it? I forgot a dose the other day and the effect was dramatic (no milk again) so I am really scared about stopping :(

the pharmacist told me if i wanted to stop taking it or i wanted to decrease that you should do it by the week and by the pill. in other words, lets say you take 4 pills a day. what you would do is drop down to 3 pills for 1-2 weeks, then you can drop to 2 pills for another 1-2 weeks, then down to one and so on and so forth.

I missed two doses a couple days ago. My milk supply was fine but the issue i had was feeling super limp in body and shaky.

As for paying for it. Yup, super expensive! :growlmad: If you're from the states you may be able to get reimbursed for what you paid, or at least part of it depending on your insurance. the pharmacy i went to doesnt take my insurance so they filled out a paper and thn i have to send it to my insurance and see if they will pay part or all of it.
Also, if you're lucky enough to never have to suppliment, paying the price for the drug is practically the same as paying for the formula.

I'm in the UK but I'd never thought about it like that :hugs: thanks for the advice about weaning off it. Did your Doc say when to start? :flower:

I'm in the UK but I'd never thought about it like that :hugs: thanks for the advice about weaning off it. Did your Doc say when to start? :flower:

No she didn't. The way they talked was to start either when i want to stop BFing or if i just want to take less pills. Some ppl just need the domperidone to kick start the prolactin, and then they can go off and their supply keeps up (after taking it for 2-3 months) other women have to take it the entire time they want to BF.

Some ppl just need the domperidone to kick start the prolactin, and then they can go off and their supply keeps up (after taking it for 2-3 months) other women have to take it the entire time they want to BF.

I'm thinking I might be one of those after what happened :shrug: well its money well spent and its not forever!

Whats a cloth cow diaper? :blush::flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->