Mirena Coil?

keldac

3 mc, 1 angel and 3 lc
Reaction score
I am considering having a Mirena coil fitted. I have never had to look into long term contraception before as I have been having babies for the last 8 years!
Has anybody had one of these, do they hurt getting fitted? How did you find it?

Thanks
Kelly

I have had one fitted twice before and I think it depends on who's fitting it. The 1st time I had it fitted was after I had Lauren and I had it fitted by my Dr, it really made me feel ill afterwards, I can't explain it but it knocked me for six. The next day I was fine though and it was a fab long term method of contraception. I think it was because she took such a long time messing about fitting it that it made me feel so bad and as lovely as she is...she doesn't fit them on a very regular basis so maybe that was the difference.

The 2nd time I had it fitted after Abi was at the Family Planning Clinic where the Dr fits them on a very regular basis, she fitted it within a couple of minutes and I was absolutely fine. I expected to feel rotten again but nope...I was fine and dandy:happydance:.

They do advise you to bring someone with you when you have it fitted and not drive home (although I wasn't told this the 1st time:dohh:). It can cause some spotting and breakthrough bleeding for the 1st 6months or so but as long as you're aware of that and wear pantyliners I don't find it a major problem as the pro's far outweigh that, it makes your periods much lighter too and some people don't have any at all. To remove it is simple, they just pull the little wires that the coil is attached to and it just slips out, no pain or anything.

I will be having the coil fitted in a few weeks, gonna have my smear and a swab done at the same time when Erin's 12 wks (you need to be 12 wks post partum before you can have smear now) and then as soon as I get the results from the swab I'll have my coil fitted:happydance:. The swab is to ensure there's no sign of infection before they introduce the coil.

I hope this has been of some help to you babe:hugs:

Thanks Hevs. Ive been thinking of having one too. Can you wear tampons when you have one?

Thanks Hevs. Ive been thinking of having one too. Can you wear tampons when you have one?

Yep....just pretend it's not there and don't have to worry about contraception for the next 5 years or so:happydance:

I was told by the Dr at the family Planning clinic that it's one of the best methods of contraception there is and it is virtually as effective as sterilisation:cloud9:

I had the marina coil for 3 years, i only had it removed to TTC my current bump. The fitting is a wee bit uncomfy, like a major cramping for a minute or so. Apart from that i never even knew it was there, i got no periods, no mood swings, no spots, no weight gain no nothing. I swear by it and will be getting another one as soon as i am able to post birth.

I did get an infection on insertion though. Apparently is is very rare, infact my doctor had never seen a case of this infection (Staphylococcus aureus) in the womb. It was very painful but i admit i left it a while before seeing my doc about it as i thought i was just experiencing normal cramps. They offered to remove the device but i persivered and took anti biotics and no long term harm done :) All was good in the end.

Hope this helps hun x

I'm getting mine fitted next week I'm really nervous but reading this helped - thanks girls!!

P.S Do u suggest having someone around to help with childcare on that day just incase it doesn't go to smooothly??

I'm getting mine fitted next week I'm really nervous but reading this helped - thanks girls!!

P.S Do u suggest having someone around to help with childcare on that day just incase it doesn't go to smooothly??

Yeah....just in case you feel shitty like I did the 1st time. I had a 6week old baby to look after so it wasn't so bad as she slept most of the time. It was like bad cramps and I felt nauseous too, something to do with the stimulation of your cervix etc....it releases hormones. I was ok the next day though:happydance:

Yea agree with Hevz have someone there to look after LO just in case.

Hevz did you get told to have breakfast with yours?? My nurse told my off because i hadn't had any!! lol
x

Yea agree with Hevz have someone there to look after LO just in case.

Hevz did you get told to have breakfast with yours?? My nurse told my off because i hadn't had any!! lol
x

Second time I was told to eat before hand and I was absolutely fine. Maybe it was my empty tummy that make me feel so rotten that 1st time eh?:dohh:

Talking of empty tummies...I'm bloody starving, off to find something to eat:pizza::lolly::shhh:

Ooooooh I am really pleased this thread came up, I am planning on getting the mirena coil after LO is born purely as we have a wedding to plan, so it will be ideal for a couple of years. Doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would be reading your comments. x

I haven't given birth yet but I was interested in this as well because I want something without estrogen and something i did not have to worry about and something that could be removed if I wanted to have another baby.

Great thread thanks for asking :D

Well ladies I have asked te same on another forum I use and got totally the opposite responses! I have heard so many horror stories I have been totally put off it :hissy: I wish I had just kept it to asking here!

I had it fitted by a student nurse at the hospital :( BIG MISTAKE. The student put it in wrong and cut the threads too short...so puttin it in wrong made me have all kindsa nasty infections...then tryin to get it out was an absolute nightmare... I ended up having to go back into hospital to get it out. They took forever to reach it as the threads were cut too short and they were contmeplating knocking me out to get to it. Buut thankfully he eventually managed to get it out

Got mine fitted this morn... Slight cramps all day but nothing to put me off doing anthing didnt hurt at all to be put in...only the clampy thing is a bit uncomfortable!!!

I had the mirena coil for about 10 years before we started ttc Charlie, and can't recommend it highly enough.

I've already spoke to the gp about getting another one fitted now our family is complete.

I got this fitted december past, bled everyday, mostly spotting right enough for 6-8 weeks but ever since i've had no period and no side effects :D It was fitted in the morning and the biggest part of the day I just felt like I was on a heavy period, but by the next I was fine xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->