Moby wrap in the summer?

Sarah Lou 80

Reaction score
I have a Moby wrap which I didn't use first time round. I really want to use a wrap this time round so I can chase after my toddler but I'm worried the Moby wrap will be too hot.

I'm not sure how much of a summer we have got left here in the
UK but I get pretty hot as it is and I'm worried about baby getting got too. Especially as the wrap is black.

I'm thinking a woven wrap would be better and one that isn't so faffy to put on.

Any recommendations? Or would the Moby be ok?

Also, maybe a strange question but is it 'ok' to buy woven wraps second hand?! I didn't know if there were any safety issues like you can have with second hand car seats or mattresses? Just wondering if the material would stretch and not be safe with a second hand one?

I guarantee you it is hotter and more humid here, and I just survived the stretchy wrap stage. However, you will get way more use out of a woven. If you are willing to make the cost and time investment, I would go woven.

I disagree. I find the stretchy wrap more supportive for a newborn than a woven could ever be.

A moby is one of the thickest stretchy wraps - I didn't choose it for that reason, although I borrowed one for long time when mine was misplaced. I got a thinner, but still as supportive, option. Victoria Slinglady and Joy and Joe were my favourites.

Sophie was born 3 weeks before summer starts in NZ and I used a moby happily. I didn't find it too hot.

I've used both a moby and a woven all summer and I'd say both are equally fine for hot weather (and to be fair, it doesn't really get all that hot here in the UK), but you will have to dress yourself and baby coolly and stay out of direct sun if you can (an umbrella can be great for this). I tend to try not too wear too much clothing (a vest is good) so that baby has lots of skin to skin contact. Your skin will regulate baby's temp, so if they can touch your chest, your body will help keep them cool. Then just dress your LO coolly, maybe even a layer less than normal (which you can add back on when you take them out of the wrap). And just be aware of how hot you both feel. If you're outside taking a long walk in the direct sun, you will start to get hot, so just be mindful, take breaks to sit in the shade, stay hydrated, etc. I think both wraps would be equally good. I find my moby is about as heavy as my woven wrap is (obviously, it depends on what kind of woven wrap you get), but I can do just fine with both in the summer. Actually, I found the wrap to much cooler than the pram. Anytime my daughter was in the pram in the summer, she would sweat so much and get so hot. She was much more comfortable in the wrap. I think because the material is a bit more breathable.

As you already have the moby, I'd give that a try first. Then move up to a woven when you're ready. We used a moby up to 4-5 months and then switched to a woven, which I could still wear her in now if I needed to (she's 2.5), though she mostly prefers to walk. And yes, it's perfectly fine to by a secondhand woven and actually it's often preferable because some of them are a bit stiff at first and taken wearing and washing to break in and soften, so a secondhand one will already be broken it.

I am currently using my moby with no problems. My lo is 4 weeks. I just do as a previous poster suggested and wear a vest top and put bubs in a bodysuit, taking him clothes for when he comes out of the wrap.

Thanks guys. Going to give the Moby a go. I've tried it around the house and the only problem I've had is LOs head doesn't stay supported enough. It just seems to pop out!

I've been wearing it folded and wondered whether gathered would make a

Do I need to tighten it up.. (Although it feels pretty tight).

Any ideas?

Thanks guys. Going to give the Moby a go. I've tried it around the house and the only problem I've had is LOs head doesn't stay supported enough. It just seems to pop out!

Any ideas?

I always wear mine gathered and it seems to work well. I have found that once it is round me and bought over the shoulders that I need to pull the edges nearest my neck down more than the edge nearest my shoulder iykwim. This seems to tighten the bit that needs to support their heads. Wish I could draw a diagram, lol.

Any ideas?

I always wear mine gathered and it seems to work well. I have found that once it is round me and bought over the shoulders that I need to pull the edges nearest my neck down more than the edge nearest my shoulder iykwim. This seems to tighten the bit that needs to support their heads. Wish I could draw a diagram, lol.

Perfect description. I get what you mean! Thank you. Will give it a go :)

Any ideas?

Perfect description. I get what you mean! Thank you. Will give it a go :)

Glad you got it, lol. Hope it works :)

I found the Moby too hot here but it was over 40 degrees Celsius so I wouldn't worry about heat in UK. I used it through the autumn (20-30 degrees) and it was perfect. Easier than trying to tie it in winter with coats and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->