Morning sickness & liquids

Wish85

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
I can't stand the thought of drinking water and I'm dehydrated as a result. It either makes me gag or vomit or just plain nauseates me.

Anyone else have this & what did you do? I've tried gastrolyte to try replace electrolytes but it makes me gag too.

Try ice cubes or ice lollies at one stage it was all I could handle.

Thank you. I don't have access to ice cubes at work, not sure what ice lollies are? After I wrote this I went to shop & found lemon barley flavoured cordial and so far I've managed to keep it down and not gagged while drinking it.

Not particularly happy about the sugar but better than no water.

I find that ice cold water stops my nausea right in its tracks. Or cold ginger ale.

I think "ice lollies" are popsicles... I may be wrong though...lol

Taking sips of lemon squash (cordial) and having ice lollies/popsicles were least likely to make me heave. Was really annoying not being able to drink properly in the height of summer!

Thanks girls - ice cold water is a no go. Slice of lemon doesn't seem to help either.

I'm in Australia so that's why I wasn't sure what ice lollies were. We call them ice-blocks or water ice-blocks. Popsicles is an American thing I think lol thanks for clarifying for me x

Ah yeah i remember getting confused by the word lolly in australia! Lollies are on sticks in the UK! Hope you find something that works for you, some people find ginger helpful although I'm not sure about it in a drink!

In my last pregnancy I had a strong aversion to almost all liquids for my entire pregnancy. I survived off that canned frozen juice, basically just sugar water. I would drink 2L of the stuff a day. It's full of just empty calories but it was the only fluid I could keep down. Occasionally I could also stomach some fizzy water with a bit of lemon juice.

I feel the same, except I can drink plain water while I'm eating something else. It might be actually the fault of the disgusting taste (a common symptom) that lingers in my mouth. Water doesn't mask it so I taste it all the way down. *gag*

I've been drinking juice or milk mostly. I make sure I buy juices that have vit C like orange juice or cranberry, since I like to at least -try- to get -some- nutrition out of the empty calories. Usually it's fine if I half & half the juice with water so I get less sugar. (milk is nutritious enough on it's own, especially considering they add vit D to it here)

You could consider squeezing fresh lemon juice into your water; I've heard that is effective for some people. Possibly also one of those liquid flavor things. Also remember you get liquids from foods too, so you could make brothy soups for liquid, although that will inevitably involve having lots of salt. (I suggest homemade stock if you have time or a slow cooker, or find some store stock made from bone broth... decent nutrition there!)

I've struggled with water although from about week 11, I suddenly didn't mind it anymore. Until then, I found anything lemon flavoured helpful. Not lemon water so much but flat lemonade or strong lemon squash (cordial) seemed to be better than nothing! Fruit juice was good too until the heartburn started and now I can't touch the stuff! I've def been on the dehydrated side the entire first trimester, I'm only wee-ing 2/3 times a day and my pee is very dark :-/

Drinking a whole pint of water in one go for my scan today was rubbish! I felt so sick!

Thank you for the suggestions girls. I am finding I can stomach fizzy water with lemon & barley flavoured cordial but I still can only sip it. This is horrible. I am worried because I have my first scan on Friday and I'm supposed to drink 1L fluids in an hour and then hold it for an hour. I don't know how I'm going to do that successfully?

Pickle juice is actually very hydrating and even just a few small sips can really help nausea right away.

You can also eat foods with a high water content like watermelon and cucumbers or iceberg lettuce. Honestly, your aversion to water is most likely due to being dehydrated. My best advice after almost 15 weeks of the same exact issue: just drink it anyways. You'll feel better within a few minutes. Even if you can only do sips, get that water in you.

I have been drinking enough soda water to rehydrate me, my pee is clear but I still can't stomach plain water so don't think the aversion is because I'm dehydrated. Been eating lots of fruit and getting water that way too. Think I'll just stick to the fizzy water and cordial for now.

I have no idea if I can get pickle juice here, or do you just buy the bottles of pickles and drink the juice out of the bottle?

Yeah, I just sip the juice from the jar of pickles.

And sorry, your OP said you were dehydrated.

I was dehydrated on Saturday but I haven't been since I discovered fizzy water :)

Ok thank you, I'll buy some pickles and drink up!

I can tolerate gingerale right now or peppermint tea. Water is hard but i force it when i can.
I never thought of popscicles. Guess what im making tomorrow 😁lol. I hope you feel better soon!

Hehe good luck with the popsicles. I've heard Jelly adds to the water count too but I haven't done that yet.

:haha::haha:Omg, I'm having the same issue. Used to be such a water lover! Now it gags me- I'm 7 w2d and in the throes of serious ms at the moment. For some reason I've helps, pops uncles do help and oddly enough milk but only if it's in cereal first? Good lord, I swear, ms is the most confounding thing! And what works today may be revolting tomorrow!:haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->