• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Morpheus Harvest or Harvester?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you were just kidding about the name... I have to say though, I thought that had to be the worst name I have ever heard..

My DH keeps telling people that if we have a son his name is going to be Spartacus. He does it so seriously, without even cracking a smile. I thought his mother was going to burst into tears when he told her. Nice Joke!

Personally I love classic English names for boys. George, Henry, Oliver, William... I like names that have been around for ages, and will still be around years into the future. I'm very leery of suggesting baby names though. A name is such a personal decision, I don't think anyone but the parents really have a right to express their "opinion" on what they think unless specifically asked.

Putting it on a thread on a forum puts it up for discussion, no?

It is pretty obvious it wasn't a joke, the OP just changed her mind on the name, which is fine! Just seemed weird to do the whole "nah joking" thing.

Personally no, I don't think that just because a name is put in a thread it instantly becomes open for discussion. If the name is attached to the phrase "what do you think of..." or "can't decide between..." or some other form of invitation, then ok, I feel I can comment, but in the Op's case (regardless of it being a joke) I saw no invitation to give my opinion of the first name chosen, only the middle. These are just MY feelings mind you, and I think I am entitled to them. I try to remember that a name isn't just a name, its potentially attached to the most important thing in the world to the woman posting, and even if it is a name I don't personally like, to that woman, it is the most beautiful name in the world because it belongs to her child. I'm highly respectful of a persons right to make their own decisions in life. I'm terribly sorry if that bothers anyone.

I agree. I was team yellow the whole time I as pregnant but I still referred to LO as Rory and that was his name, even though we didn't know for certain LO was a boy at this point (though I was convinced). If I had posted asking about his middle name, and people had started saying how much they hated his first name then I would be been absolutely heartbroken, especially with being hormonal and pregnant!

Oh come on this is getting way too serious

Putting a name on a section of a forum specifically designed to analyse names definitely opens it up for discussion, that's obvious!

And btw she DID want us to comment on the first name because the whole thing was a joke - would have majorly backfired if nobody commented that Morpheus is fairly ridiculous...

If you're going to let faceless strangers' comments on a public forum bother you, when you've posted the name asking for opinions yourself, then I think you'd be better off not posting at all :shrug: life is too short

I agree with you that there is no need for the topic to turn serious. However I do stand by my statement that these topics need to be approached with a bit of discretion. I've seen both in real life, and on forums people reduced to tears over the "name game." I had an employee who was completely devastated because the name she loved was referred to as a dog's name by others.

I only used her first post as an example (even if this is an odd situation) because nowhere in it did she ask for an opinion on the first name. Regardless I made it very clear that I was only stating how I felt on giving my opinion in my post. I wasn't trying to tell others what the think, or being condescending. I know it's easy to say don't let strangers on the internet get to you...but I also know a teen girl who killed herself because of strangers on the internet. Perhaps that has made me hypersensitive to the feelings of others. I don't know who they are or what they are going through in RL, so I prefer to error on the side of caution. :)

I agree with you that there is no need for the topic to turn serious. However I do stand by my statement that these topics need to be approached with a bit of discretion. I've seen both in real life, and on forums people reduced to tears over the "name game." I had an employee who was completely devastated because the name she loved was referred to as a dog's name by others.

I only used her first post as an example (even if this is an odd situation) because nowhere in it did she ask for an opinion on the first name. Regardless I made it very clear that I was only stating how I felt on giving my opinion in my post. I wasn't trying to tell others what the think, or being condescending. I know it's easy to say don't let strangers on the internet get to you...but I also know a teen girl who killed herself because of strangers on the internet. Perhaps that has made me hypersensitive to the feelings of others. I don't know who they are or what they are going through in RL, so I prefer to error on the side of caution. :)

Making a thread to have a laugh at people and get them to spend time answering their question and then "lol it was a joke!" is as equally annoying to me. How about some maturity by the original poster? Why the need to have a joke on here? Why try to provoke people like that? If it was such an obvious joke name then she must have expected comments on it.

Why the need to have a joke on here? Why try to provoke people like that?

Because life is funny.

If it came to the point where I was taking the name forum this seriously, I would begin to re-evaluate my approach to life.

Except the so called joke wasn't even funny.

But whatever, what's done is done. At least a child won't be tormented for having a horrendous name

I also think op lacked maturity in this whole topic.

But that's my opinion.

Making a thread to have a laugh at people and get them to spend time answering their question and then "lol it was a joke!" is as equally annoying to me. How about some maturity by the original poster? Why the need to have a joke on here? Why try to provoke people like that? If it was such an obvious joke name then she must have expected comments on it.

It wasn't obviously a joke IMO, hence why I first said that it wasn't necessary for people to comment on the first name, which she didn't ask opinions on. Yes it was annoying that it was a joke but not the end of the world.

Except the so called joke wasn't even funny.

There's a huge diversity in sense of humour among people. That's the beauty of it. I personally don't find videos of people getting injured or falling on banana skins funny but they've made others laugh for generations. Each to their own. The point is it's all a bit of fun and I'm astounded by this level of seriousness on a thread like this! :haha:

I personally don't find videos of people getting injured or falling on banana skins funny but they've made others laugh for generations.

Have you seen the one of the woman falling off the table though? I'm sorry, but that's funny.

I'm astounded by your lack of maturity. But everyone is entitled to opinions. This has gone on long enough so I am unsuscribing now. Happy and healthy everyone, fx to those who are trying.

I've closed the thread now as I don't think there is any more to be gained by leaving it open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"