mother and baby groups - experiences?

1982emmac

mummy to two under two
Reaction score
Hi everyone

LO is 10 weeks old and I really feel I should try and get out and try some mother and baby groups. None of my friends have kids so I feel pretty lonely.
Only thing is I'm quite shy and worried as I have heard these groups can be a bit cliquey.

What are people's experiences?

i met up with someone off here when my lo was younger and i wasnt to sure. im still going and have a great group of friends who i see in and out of baby club. I think every baby group is different. do you have any sure start centres, i find them really helpful.
Hope you manage to find a baby club. Its nice to mix with other people x

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my baby groups and so does Tobias.

You have the perfect thing to break the ice in the groups. In my experience, everyone has been really welcoming and friendly, including not having any issues with me BF even now at 9 months!

You may find you have to go a few times in order to really get to know people, because they are possibly shy too. They may seem confident, but that is because they know the people. I always try and go out of my way to be freindly to new people as I was scared shitless the first few times I went.

If you have a sure start centre near you, then I suggest going there, as they have ladies working there who are there to help you settle in and help you join in.

HTH and that you have fun. xx

I was really lucky because my best friend had a baby two months before I had mine. We both joined the same mom group - that really helped me, because I'm very shy too. I was also lucky because the mom group we joined was pretty small, there were only 7 of us in total.
My experience was pretty good. There was one woman there who was kind of annoying for various reasons, but it was really nice to get out of the house and spend time with women in the same situation as me. It was also helpful because at the time, Hana was very colicky and refluxy, and I got a lot of advice.
I would recommend giving it a try. If you don't like it, you can always stop going. :flower:

I live for my baby groups. I use the Surestart ones and they are fab!! Definately give it a try xx

If I find babies of the same age I'm ok as I have more in common, I have found that the things I've been to even tho we can go from birth they are walkig children who don't understand that jess is smaller and to be more careful and she ends up being poked or rocked a little hard in her chair so I figured I needed to wait a bit

I have made friends via my sure start centre on a postnatal course (free) and we meet up now even after the course ends, we go to a pub for lunch once a month, as the babies are a few weeks apart either side I feel more comfortable and we are starting to go to some groups together

I go to one baby group every thursday and have done from LO was like 2 weeks old, tho had been bringing my cousin before this. But i always found everyone very welcoming, and although they are only friends at baby group (dont ever meet up any other time) i love to get out and see them and have adult conversations with others plus great to get wee tips and advise of other mums who have already been there when times are hard etc,

I go to an under 1s club with Alex and we both love it. I am really shy too but I let ALex take the lead :haha: its so easy to talk to other mums because the babies are so funny and cute together. You should definately give one a go xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->