mum, dad, MIL, FIL

buttonnose82

Wife & Mummy
Reaction score
How do you think your parents and your other half's parents will react when you tell them you are expecting a baby?

my parents are so excited about having another grandchild! they were super excited, and nervous (mum's worrys about me and labour) about maddi and i think they are even more excited again as they are enjoying her so much :cloud9:

my mum will be crazy excited,

my dad will be crazy excited but joke about going even further down the pecking orders (he is already below the cat and the puppy!)

MIL I am guessing will be a nightmare (can see her causing arguments!)

FIL I am unsure

OH's parents will be over the moon and incredibly happy for us. My parents will give me 20 questions and have to come round to the idea. OH's parents know how much we want to have kids and that we plan on ttc/ntnp after we get married. My parents are convinced I'm going to wait until I'm 30 or something, or at least for 3 or 4 years, before I start ttc. In fact I can see my mum using the 'you know youv'e got options' line and me punching her in the face because it'll upset me so much! The worst thing is, we want 4 kids and my mum believes that that's socially irresponsible so the disappointment won't even stop after number 1!:dohh: I try not to let it get me down. I just know that my mum at least doesn't really want grandchildren (my dad I think will be OK with it) and I'm struggling with the fact that I don't know how I'm going to tell her when I'm pregnant and I am worried that it will ruin to some extent my excitement over having children. The excitement I'll get from OH's parents will be brilliant but I still want to know for certain that my mum will be happy for us. :cry:

Beca :wave:

Pretty much the same as EstelSeren, MIL will be ecstatic as she has wanted granchildren for years and drops hints all the time. I don't think FIL (they're not together) will give a toss either way, he dosn't seem to give a toss about his own son as it is. My Dad will have to come round to the idea and I also can see him expecting the pregnancy to be an accident and suggesting that we don't have to keep the baby which will be a real sucker-punch. However, I watched him with my Step-Niece a few weeks ago and I was really suprised as he clearly doted on her....he has never seemed to coo over children before....and I am hoping this is a sign he is ready for some grandkids of his own.

Everyone will be ecstatic! This will be the first grandchild on both sides.

Mom will probably cry and then start listing off all the things she will make the baby (my mom's a dress maker--let's hope the first one is a girl! :haha:)

Dad will be happy and probably give DH a beer or two to celebrate. He'll probably make cheeky comments about being too young to be a grandfather too.

MIL will cry also. She's been hinting about grandchildren since DH's cousin had a little boy this past January.

FIL will probably cry too, because he's like that.

Just the thought of making everyone so happy (including DH and me, of course) always makes me smile! :happydance:

MIL (2b) already know we are going to ttc after our wedding and is happy so think she will be excited and very happy for us as she knows how much we want a lo!! Think FIL(2b) will also be happy for us. MIL(2b) is the only one in the family who knows we are planning. Oh tells his mum everything lol. I get on really well with her tho witch is great.
My dad I think will also be excited and love having a little grandchild!!
My mum on the otherhand I am not so sure. I think she is expecting us to wait years!!! I mentioned babies in general when we were out shopping a couple of weeks ago and she said something about being retired when we have kids!!!!! She is only 43! I was like god woman how long do you think we are going to wait to have kids!!! :dohh:
Am kind of worried about telling her when we do get pg! But tbh it is what me and oh want so it is just tough look!!!

Erm I have no idea, My mam wants me to wait untill im 30 and were married and have our own house but she better be pleased for me,

My dad im not sure. We dont see each other much due to him not living local and i have trouble making him realise that im not a child anymore.

MIL, hmm im not sure ether. Id say she would be excited but dispointed that OH is stuck with me. Hopefully we will be engaged by then so that mite make her realise im not going anywere.

FIL. pass. Im sure step MIL will be happy but i dunno about FIL

I think my mum will be thrilled :) as long as it happens after uni because we will be completely sorted then.
Dad will be happy I suppose, but I don't see him much.
MIL and FIL will be exstatic. MIL is wanting one now !

ummm i know my mom will be so excited about it. My dad will at first be dissapointed but he will come round to the idea. I will always be his baby girl!!

MIL - I think she will be very happy but at the same time wished we had waited a bit. She was 18 when she has oh and always tells me to hold out a few years blah blah blah!

FIL - will be extremly happy. we are very close with him (even tho he is not oh real father, and is no longer married to his mother) He will be a great support for my oh when it all comes around!

Well let's see....
OH's side of the family will be head over heels happy for us. Especially his step father because he's already really excited that OH asked for the engagement ring. Hehe. His mom will probably be a little apprehensive, but she'll enjoy it too.

MY family, however....
I KNOW my mom wants me to be out of school and in a stable situation first. Which is what we are trying to achieve, so once we get there, she'll be happy, too, I think. My Sisters and aunts and things will love it. My father and his side of the family, however, I have no clue. They live quite a long ways away... so I never see them and rarely talk to them. I think they'll be okay with it.

I like what LadyofRohan said... if it's going to make anybody else happy, then I'm going to be even happier! HAHA

My parents will be excited this would be their third grandchild, but I think my mom will be super excited because it would be her daughter pregnant this time. (So I know she is anxious to take me shopping and buy me baby clothes and stuff).

My MIL will be a different story, she has been waiting for this to happen for a long time. SIL and BIL have decided to have no kids, so this will be her first. She is going to freak out, she has already told me her plan of quiting work when she finds out that I am expecting, she has already worked out a bus route to our house (she doesn't have her liscence). She is going to go crazy, and I think I am prepared for her to do so, just as long as she doesn't spend every day at my house, lol.

I keep dreaming about the day I find out that I am pregnant, it is going to be so amazing getting to tell family and friends.

FIL and step-MIL with be very excited. MIL lives very far away and we never know how she will react to things. My parents will not be happy. They will say we are ruining our lives and we better not expect them to babysit. The same things they said to my brother when he had his son.

My OH's folks will be very excited for us because they have been dying to be grandparents for years and are getting worried because we are both nearly 30 and are not planning to start TTC for at least another year and a half.

My parents on the other hand are a totally different story. I think my Dad will be OK but my Mum doesn't like the idea of me having kids because she believes children tie you down and I would be giving up my life and will become miserable if I choose to have them.

I will simply do my best to ignore her if we are lucky enough to get pregnant...fortunately I live at least 30,000 miles away so it won't be too hard to ignore any unsavoury comments.

We haven't told anyone that we are thinking of starting a family in a couple of years and hopefully we won't until our bub is at least 12 weeks cooked.

Both our parents know we will be trying for baby #2 next year and are excited.
We just gave them both their first grandchild in October this year and they were over the moon!

Think if MIL had her way I would just keep me having babies as she wants 'hundreds of grandchildren!' - her words! Seeing as she only has 2 children (my OH and his brother) that means we have to have 50+ each! :rofl:

Baby 2 will be are only other then we are just going to enjoy or children growing up!! Cant wait!

xxx

MIL will be excited. Shes great like that. FIL will not be assed whatsoever.

My mum however.. different story! She will kick off big style. As will all my family. Majority of them dont really 'like' my OH so they think im stupid and all the rest. My family hold me back so much. If for once, they could just be happy for who I am and realise this is what I want, then my life would be much easier. But, it'll never happen.
With my MC in July, when I told my nan I was pregnant she cut the phone off and refused to speak to me for ages. This P'd me off because im the only one she has that takes her shopping, buys her dinners, treats her all the time etc but she couldnt be happy for me. She was happy when I MC'd though. As were all my family.

BUT, I dont give a toss about my family anymore. So be it if they arent happy. I am, im number one now, and I come first :p

I don't think my parents or his parents would be too happy as they Are all in mid forties so feel they are too young to be grandparents!! Although I think the fact that my grandparents were like 60-70 when I was born plays a great part in it all!!

I don't think my mum would be suprised if I got preggers but she has always said "don't expect to live here with a baby there's not enough room" so although I would love to have A baby, out of respect for my parents we are going to wait til we have our own place! Also if they are gona freak out about it I'd rather not be in the house and give them all time to let it sink in!!

I imagine that my parents will be a little bit shocked and a bit concerned about us (which is odd given that we are married and have lived together for coming on 4 years) ~ I think my parents sometimes forget how old I am (...and the fact that they were both parents by the time that they were my age)

....once the intial suprise has worn off though they will be happy and my Mum will definitely be over excitable!

MIL and Step FIL - They will just be excited and happy - not overly shocked either I don't think.

OH's actual father and his wife - they will be very opininated about the whole thing but I doubt that they will really be involved - he hasnt had much to do with is own son...let alone a grandchild!

I must admit...it does freak me out the thought of telling our parents...I think I'll feel like I'm 15 and they might tell us off :wacko:

:flower:

I must admit...it does freak me out the thought of telling our parents...I think I'll feel like I'm 15 and they might tell us off :wacko:

:flower:

I feel like that too and am in pretty much the same position, it's ridiculous isn't it!:dohh:

My foster mum will be over the moon, she started crying when we told here we were trying lol!!
My dad....that isnt going to go too well...my dadds a heavy alcoholic so is mashed most of the time. When i tried to tell him we were trying i put a hyperthetical situation to him to see how he would react, someone was pregnant on tv and i asked how would you react. He looked at me stone cold sober and said if you tell me that im going to throw you down the stairs until your not anymore. Lovely eh.

My MIL ans FIL will be happy, althought they wont be as involved in babys life as they were with their other grankids because they have just moved to Boston Usa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->