Mums/Moms after Recurrent Losses (MARL) - Come join us!

Sara- yay for more sleep and getting a bath! :)

Hoping- so sorry Penny is sick :( Hope she feels better soon. OH and I have seen all the seasons of Dexter. We love it, but we both think the early seasons were the best! My niece's dad is Miwok and their tribe is friendly with OH's (they do a lot of events together) and she has little moccasins and they're sooo cute! Her Miwok grandparents also sent her some nice dolls. One is a little Indian boy in traditional dress and the other is a little girl. I think she'll appreciate them as she gets older. She's just shy of 2 now. It'll be cool that she and Bay are both from friendly tribes too!
My MIL has a section of the family room that has a lot of native stuff. You can see an example one of her mom's paintings:

https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac76/mermaids84/827C2EC8-6DA4-4A71-A3FF-0B6470FF1B5A-434-0000010D9506AF10.jpg

Heart- I thought the mild climate might have something to do with it and you're so right about it being a small city packed with tons of people. That's so sad about the women's place closing, but it's great that you are so involved in the cause & got to help. I volunteered at Loaves and Fishes in Sac and you do meet some sad cases :( I've even seen homeless babies there. Breaks your heart :(

Peti- I hope J does better tonight. Bay had a horrible night last night :( I like hearing you marls with older LOs say it gets better after 2-3 months though. I think it's great you're giving him solids variety in his diet :thumbup:

Afm, last night was hell!!! :( I still think this must be her 6 week growth spurt but her 3 week one she at least found comfort in the boob. Last night she was fussing and crying off and on allll night and often fighting at the breast. She has sounded congested the last week and I pulled a huge snot out of her nose this morning so maybe she just wasn't breathing well. OH snapped during one of her crying fits in the middle of the night and said 'Shut up!' he felt bad this morning but I told him its okay & that girls in my online mom group have done the same. Praying she does better tonight. We're exhausted!

Petit- sorry to hear J's so poorly right now... It really does feel like its 1 step forward 2 steps back sometimes.

Heart- your post was interesting and sad. We're seeing more and more homeless here in Greece since the financial crisis- something you never saw a few years ago and there really is no provision for them. Hope you and Delilah are thriving

Tuckie- sounds like you had quite a time of it last night:( hopefully her growth spurt will end soon.

Just- having a baby that sleeps through anything is definitely a good thing

Petitpas- I love that you expose J to so many types of foods. Let us know how the sushi meal goes. Penny is at the fussy stage but hopefully she snaps out of it soon. Babies in moccasins are pretty darn cute!

Tuckie- I think the earlier seasons are better too. They are getting a little weird now with Deb’s infatuation. Our next season catch up will be Weeds.

Your MIL’s mother does beautiful work. I love how vibrant the painting is. She is obviously very talented. My grandfather makes most of the moccasins and head dresses my family wears. I cut off all my hair just before I was pregnant with Penny and donated it to them for our family headdresses. My grandmothers and aunts do the pottery painting. I’m good at it as well but don’t make it down often enough. I’m sure the doll’s they sent are stunning. What do they look like? Our traditional dolls are a solid piece of wood and only have the head defined. Everything is hand painted and they are given to the girls of the tribe at ceremonies. The little boys usually get bows and arrows or drums. It’s so cute to see my little nephew running around with them and singing native songs. It will be wonderful having friendly tribes for your daughter and niece. Enjoy exposing Bay to her Native roots. It really is special.

I hope Bay has a better night. I think its sweet your DH was feeling guilty for snapping last night. It happens to the best of us.

Hi ladies thanks for your advice I ordered today some safe wrap mesh cot bumpers in pink!! £25 on eBay it's a shop but I needed ones that would fit lexis sleigh cot! Lets see how we get on when they arrive! X

Pip didn't think of that might try that thanks Hun, did u spoon feed at first? My friends little one who was born 16th may is suffering with teeth badly an will only have about 12oz a day!! X

Fili yep I cried reading your post Hun, can't wait to see more pics of your lovely lexi!! X

Heart hope your well have u started to feed Delilah yet? Solids that is obviously you feed her lol!! X

Bumps just I at first used just blankets but lexi is such a wiggler I took everyone's advice an did sleeping bags! I didn't like them as they looked uncomfy an cold but with my mobile child I had no choice she's always I different way up! Lol .

Sleeping bags don't stop them rolling, but they stop legs being caught in the bars as the other day Lexi had a nap in her cot an I didn't put her bag on as it was warm an sge hates being hot! When she awoke she cried as her arm an leg were caught!! Definately sleeping bags for my bubs x

Hoping- yes, she was very talented. She passed away in 2011. It was a horrible year for OH cause we had our 2nd mc that year & just as his grandmother passed I was starting to mc again :(
I think it is so cool that you donate hair for the family headdress! A piece of you all will be with it forever <3 I bet all the little native kids look so cute at the ceremonies. I was gonna try to explain the dolls to you but I decided to ask my sister to txt me a pic of them instead lol

https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac76/mermaids84/490F1C50-CCE7-4DAF-8150-FD94419B3CC1-686-0000012FA099A0F8.jpg

Davies- I hope the mesh bumpers work out for Lexi :)

Bay finally quit screaming and took a nap but it was only about 40 mins and all I got to do was clean the bathroom...lucky me lol

:wave: Kat, Sara, Embo, Bumpy, Just, Hopeful, Croy

Tuckie,
Thanks for sharing your heritage with us.

Yeah Kat, it's been cool talking to Hoping about it because she's so in touch with her roots. I think it's great there are still tribes that are trying to preserve their culture & traditions. Will you do any family traditions with Grey?

Aw, Tuckie, I love the dolls' outfits! Thank you for sharing.

Davies, we started with tastes of our own food. A few grains of rice with sauce on a finger, for example. We'd just pop it in his mouth and watch. Then we would offer it again and see if he'd open his mouth. Toast was great from the start, too. We just gave him a finger strip of it and he put it in his mouth all by himself. One of our NCT friends was really impressed when she saw it. With her permission I gave her son some toast, too, and he nommed it right away.
I also bought baby rice in powder and mixed it with breastmilk (also works with formula or just water). I often find it easier to spoonfeed J when he also has something to eat in his hand.
We also fed J unflavoured Greek yoghurt by spoon right from the start.
I hope that helps. Oh, maybe offer a banana whole so Lexi can get her hands around it. I think I have a pic of what I mean... If you are nervous about it you can always try feeding banana with a spoon. My mum does it that way and it works fine, too.

Here goes:
https://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz325/petitpas/IMAG0498-2.jpg

Tuckie,
We will celebrate Chinese New Year's, but that is it.
BTW-Hope Bay's growth spurt is very short. I'm not looking forward to the 6 week spurt, but sleep might be around the corner for you.

Peti,
Love the pic. Looking forward to introducing Grey to food.

Tuckie- love the dolls. It must have taken a lot of time to make those outfits...

Sorry, gotta run. Penny is up fom her nap.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Peti and Kat- adorable boys you have there :)

Hoping- you have a great weekend too!

Bay has been taking a long nap :happydance: she must have pooped herself out! OH and I even got to dtd for the first time since pregnancy and it was actually quite nice :D

Oh ladies, needing some words of encouragement. After a week of rubbish nights and Levi not sleeping any long stretches spending more time in our bed than his because its just easier we decided that starting today we would start his sleep training and letting him cry.
It's horrible but I know that it is for his best and for the best for our family. I am really hoping that he picks this up soon.

Hoping I know you said you had done sleep training with Penny, how old was she? Levi is 5 months old today. I wanted to wait until 6 months but we just can't wait. He has always been a good sleeper but I think now he is more aware. He starts to cry and fuss as soon as we put on his sleep sack at night, so I know he has some understanding that it's night time.

His just so sad. I hate it :( Sad mama over here

Croy- :hugs: I don't know much about sleep training yet but in sorry you're sad mama. I have read you can try checking on them in set intervals of time and then slowly lengthen the time...are you doing something like that? I hope things go better and he starts to sel soothe to sleep :hugs:

Croy- everyone I know who's sleep trained says its really tough but worth it in the end. I know it must be very hard on you though. Hopefully Levi will get the hang of things in a few days :hugs:

Love the dolls tuckie!

Hoping- I feel the same, wish I was sahm so much but nothing I can do about it. Helps that alot of my coworkers had to go back to work too. Hope penny is better and can sleep.

Hi pups- love the pics I saw not too long ago- been stalking but no time to post

Sara- hugs to you and fights suck, I've had more than my share. Hope things keep getting better for you.

Hi embo, mrsmig, justkeep, nsn, cazi, bumpy, emilie! Trying not to miss anyone.

Davies- u get the bumpers yet? D is in a sleep sack too, helps alot

Pip- J eats way better and more variety than me, love hearing what he eats and the cute pic. How does he eat all of it with just a couple of teeth?
Been stalking ur journal and hope he feels better.
Hi tracie!

Kat- glad u got some sleep and grey is adorable. So much hair!

Croy- I didn't have to sleep train as they just sleep typically, I think it's because they slept together for so long. But, dont worry about CIO. Has worked for so many people, I would do it if I had to.
I do feed them right before bed, even if they don't seem really hungry I try (formula feed, I don't pump anymore, stopped a few weeks ago)
Also- they don't go to bed until 9 or 9:30 pm and sleep until around 6am. But, A got up at 2;30 am fussing a couple nights this week. Picked her up and she went back to sleep but took close to an hour last night of back in crib, fuss, pick up, back in crib. Very unusual for her to not sttn.
What time does Levi go to bed?

Fili- how r u?

Amanda- good points about the homeless in sf; had no clue. There are so many in DC too (at least when I was there as a sr in high school there were)
How are things back home? Flight good?

Croy I did it with Edie much earlier as she was ready to start going to bed at 7am at 7 weeks old. She has always needed a tonne of sleep. The one thing that really helped me is make sure you time the crying because to you two minutes of crying seems like ten. Ten minutes seems like an eternity. When you watch the clock you realise it's not actually as long as it seems. As his mum you are programmed to not be able to bear to listen to it and its so hard but by timing the crying and saying "if she is still crying in x amount of minutes I will go up" we had it cracked in 3 nights. Good luck.
Hi to everyone else. I have been reading. I'm loving being a new mummy all over again.

Everything I've read about sleep training says to do after 6 months. Some babies are ready at five months tho croy. Research 'object permanence'. If Levi understands mummy and daddy still exist even though he can't see you, it'll be more successful. If you don't think he has object permanence maybe the shush/pat technique would be better til he's slightly older.
Which method are you thinking? Controlled crying or cry it out? There's a big difference and loads of stuff to read out there.
It's really controversial but you have to do what's right for your family.

Then I'm guessing it wasn't really sleep training we did with Edie we just followed our gut instinct and started putting her to bed because she really wanted to be settled and asleep. I daren't even think I'm going to get that lucky again this time. Already Louis is different to Edie at that age. She liked the space of her Moses basket whereas he will cuddle all night if I let him. She used to feed a lot longer as well, though she was over a pound heavier at birth so I imagine that counts for a lot. Also she suffered a lot with colic and trapped wind and Louis seems better at getting his wind out, whether its by being burped or just a jolly good trump mid feed. Typical bloke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->