My birth story from planned home birth to something completely different

tallybee

DS '04, DD '06, DD '15
Reaction score
Born at 6.55 this morning, 6lb 12.5 oz after labouring mildly all day yesterday it ramped up about 6.30 pm when the contractions were 4-5 apart and a minute long. Called the mw who arrived quickly and I laboured in the bedroom as planned. Couple hours later I requested cervical check but was only 1.5 dilated but almost fully effaced. Was slightly worried by this since the contractions were so strong I'd expected to be more dilated based on experience. Got her to check again after another couple of hours and was fully effaced but no more dilation! By this stage is been using the g&a but it didn't help and made me vomit. Mw mentioned she'd spotted in my notes that I'd had colposcopy on my cervix for borderline changes 2 years ago and thought that scarring could be causing the issue. She said my cervix was paper thin and could easily dilate all at once after all the hard work already done but possibly not. We decided to give it another couple of hours and then if no change transfer to hospital as I was really struggling with the pain by now. Bearing in mind I had my others with no pain relief and was fine. But I was in constant pain even between contractions.

Called a friend to sit with the kids and as there was no change after that couple of hours we transferred in so I could have some pain relief. I was desperate. As anyone who knows me will understand I was set on another fully natural delivery.

Ambulance took us in and I had morphine which helped a bit. Dr tried to ease the scar tissue cervix open to loosen but it was agony and only got us to 3.5cm then morphine wore off and next lot didn't help and I was in agony begging for epidural 😧 by this stage lo's heart rate was dropping during contractions so it became a worry, I was told the epi would be too long in sorting and taking effect, so I actually consented to spinal anaesthetic, another shot at manipulating cervix open once numb, but if that didn't work a section. I was gutted but had to for safety of lo. Well between the decision and getting the anaesthetic was pure agony like nothing I can describe, beyond my experience and kept having to get into non spd friendly positions to administer it. Horrific but once it kicked in I truly was numb. Very weird, surreal feeling! And crying my eyes out as I was heading for a section which I hated the idea of.

Anyway they managed to manipulate the scarred cervix once I was numb and it pinged right open! So I was instructed when to push as I was unable to feel contractions by now. I couldn't feel what I was doing and had my legs in stirrups. Ended up with forceps delivery no tears or cuts which was a brilliant result in the end. I'm feeling absolutely destroyed now still catheterised and numb legs so need to stay in not sure until when.

But Marianne Sheila McCormack is perfect and we are running on euphoria.

Sorry to hear you didn't have the delivery you wanted but a massive congratulations on the birth of your little girl

Congratulations!! I'm sorry you didn't get the home birth you were hoping for and that things went how they did, third births really do seem to be a wild card. Hopefully your recovery goes quickly :hugs:

Congratulations huni. Sorry you didn't get your home birth but glad alls well with you both xx

Sorry you didn't get the delivery you wanted hun. Huge congratulations on your little girl!

Wow what a story! Congratulations on your little girl x

Thanks everyone! I'm too ecstatic with her to be upset about the delivery but bored stuck in hospital overnight x

hey hey trooper lady!!! congrats on your birth and your insanely brave birth story!

it may not have gone according to plan, but you went beyond all your limits to get your baby safely here! i too am set for a home birth, but i think your situation was a pretty good example of what the hospitals are for - dealing with unpredictable situations, and regardless of anything... YOU DID IT!!

well done mama! :hugs: congratulations :cloud9: hope your recovery is smooth xxxx

Congratulations, sorry you didn't get your home birth. Hope you recover soon xx

Thanks all!!

Home safely and trying to get normal lol!

Skyesmom you are right hun thanks and all the best for your upcoming hb xx

I am so grateful to the hospital staff they were fantastic. Even though things went so far off the plan all's well that ends well. Such a surreal experience but safe <3

Just spotted your ticker on another thread, congratulations on your little girl. Shame you didn't get your home birth but very glad to hear she's here safe and sound. Enjoy teeny baby snuggles.

congrats sounds very traumatic well done you and you are both well thats what matters ;) x

Huge congratulations hun :flower: So sorry to hear you didn't get the birth you hoped for but very glad to hear the outcome was all positive :) xxx

Congratulations you are very brave. Sounds super painful, i would have been kicking people lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->