My brother in the delivery room... Am I weird?

Cata

Mommy at last!!
Reaction score
Hi ladies :)

Today i made a post on a forum in my country asking about this hospital where I'm giving birth, I mentioned my brother will be in the delivery room and everyone forgot about my question and went crazy about how weird that was, so this is why I'm posting here... am I that weird?

I will be a single mom, FOB and I are not together as a couple and also he is out of the country and he won't be able to be here for my EDD.

My mom passed away almost 4 years ago and my best friend is out of the country too and will be back until december.

My "little brother" (he's 20 something lol) and his girlfriend have been trying to have a baby for more than a year now and things haven't really worked out for them :nope: so when i told him I was pregnant after my MC in January he was so happy, one day I mentioned I would give the world for FOB to be at the delivery room with me and he immediately said: If he can't make it I want to go In with you.
I thought since otherwise I'll be all alone it was ok, he is my little brother and has always been very protective of me since we were little and of course he is excited about his first nephew too.

I did ask him to video tape a bit of the birth and he immediately freaked out and said: ummmm what do you mean? I said: just the whole environment lol not my baby crowning and he said ohhhh ok! that I can do, so he basically wants to be there to support me and get to hold my baby before everyone else lol.

It has crossed my mind, how we are all different and some people maybe at my prenatal class will give me a weird look for being with my brother there but i have no one else and until now I thought it was completely normal :( of course I would prefer to have my mom or my BF there or FOB but those are not possibilities for me and I actually felt lucky to have a supportive brother.

That being said I would like to know your opinion on my situation, if a friend of yours came and told you this what would you think?

Oh and if it makes any difference I'm 32.

Thank you for taking the time to read my loooooong post:hugs:

To be honest, who cares what other people think- it's your body, so long as you and your brother are fine with it then that's all that counts.

Personally, I can't imagine my brother being there. But if it came down to my brother or no one then I would rather have him there than be on my own!

Ummm...no. I would love to have my sister at my next birth. I can't really understand why people think it's strange when your brother is your closest living relative. Your birth, your choice.

i think its lovely me and my sister were with our other sister when she had her baby whats the differance? none that i can see just because hes a man dosent mean he cant make a great birthing partner dont worry about what anyone else thinks i think its great you have such a lovely brother who wants to support you in this x

nope not weird at all. its great that you have that closeness with your brother and someone there to support you through your labour. i was on my own with my first and my mum was my chosen birthing partner but when i was in labour i wanted my dad so with me in the end was my mum, dad and sister proper family affair but i would not change it for the world.

=S What does it matter if hes your brother? would it be any diffrent to your gay bestfriend? or straight bestfriend your boyfriend. =S! we all need someone to support us! He dosent have to see the buissness end of everything, at least hes blood, he wants to protect you! and hes being a man! How proud i would be to have my brother at the birth of his nephew, most would run a mile at the thort of possibilty seeing there sisters "bit" He must really really love you hun! and that so nice to see. =) If your comfetable with him there then go for it! you have an amazing bond! xx

Thank you girls for your responses and for sharing your experiences too. I do have a sister, but she just wants to see baby out and that's it, I'm pretty sure she went with us to the NT scan because my brother made her :wacko: and she's a snob so wouldn't help at all unless I needed someone to punch while in labour lol I do love her but she would be of no help at all.

Thanks again :hugs:

=S What does it matter if hes your brother? would it be any diffrent to your gay bestfriend? or straight bestfriend your boyfriend. =S! we all need someone to support us! He dosent have to see the buissness end of everything, at least hes blood, he wants to protect you! and hes being a man! How proud i would be to have my brother at the birth of his nephew, most would run a mile at the thort of possibilty seeing there sisters "bit" He must really really love you hun! and that so nice to see. =) If your comfetable with him there then go for it! you have an amazing bond! xx

:hugs: Exactly that is what I think`, also the bond he and my LO will have... and well i do hope his girlfriend will eventually get her BFP and this would make him more sensitive to her needs :flower:

Thank you hun:hugs:

Thats lovely that he wants to be there to support you :)

The only thing that might worry me is how his oh feels about it? She might feel sad that the first birth he goes to isn't hers, infertility does strange things to people!

:hugs:

Thats lovely that he wants to be there to support you :)

The only thing that might worry me is how his oh feels about it? She might feel sad that the first birth he goes to isn't hers, infertility does strange things to people!

:hugs:

She has always been very sweet and supportive, we live in the same house and I talk to her a lot even when she is a bit quiet :winkwink: but now I feel dumb... how could I be so selfish? i didn't even think about this until now :( I will ask my brother tomorrow if he discussed it with her, if he hasn't then I don't know if he should do it or if I should do it.

The last thing I want to do is upset her, I know how much they want a LO and I tell her all the time how much I want to be an auntie and to be positive and patient, yet I may be hurting her :shrug: Thanks for bringing that up, will def take care of that.:hugs:

I think it's sweet :) I wouldn't have any of my brothers there, but then we're not close like that, I would have my sisters or my Mum if for some reason hubbie couldn't get there...but it'll hopefully just be me and hubbie :)
I hope it's a lovely experience for you and how proud I'd be to have a brother like that, he'll make a brilliant Uncle :)

I think it's sweet :) I wouldn't have any of my brothers there, but then we're not close like that, I would have my sisters or my Mum if for some reason hubbie couldn't get there...but it'll hopefully just be me and hubbie :)
I hope it's a lovely experience for you and how proud I'd be to have a brother like that, he'll make a brilliant Uncle :)

Thank you hun, I would give the world for my mom to be still alive, she wanted to be a granny so much!

but I am really proud of my brother, when I see him he still looks like when he was two to me :dohh: and I have the feeling he will be an awesome uncle and if life allows it I'm sure he will be great dad one day :happydance: which makes me even happier :flower:

I don't think having your brother there is strange at all. It's a lovely moment to share together. Really lovely.

I personally would rather have somewhere there with me whether it was my brother or whatever than be alone lol, as long as you and your brother are ok with it then who cares what judgmental people think? You do what you want not what anyone else wants or thinks at the end of the day it's you giving birth not them :) Good luck xxx

I think its nice that he wants to support you and he is your closest relative :hugs: I expect people just think its weird because he is male but wouldnt think twice if you said it was your sister which shouldn't make a difference i don't think! Do what YOU want at YOUR birth :)

No you're not weird. I'm a little shocked anyone would suggest it. Your birth and your decision. I think it's lovely your brother wanted to be there. :)

I think its absolutely not for me. But if you feel comfortable with him there then who cares what other peoples opinions are!

my big brother means the world to me, we don't talk very often and when we do its usually cause hes looking for something, but if my OH couldn't make it to the birth and he offered id probably say yea! (tho id make him wear a t-shirt declaring he's the uncle! lol just to save us the weirdness of people mistaking him as FOB lol )

I think its awesome that he wants to be with you like that to support you!
Nothing strange about that at all.
If my little brother lived near me - unfortunately hes about 7 hours in the opposite direction, I think I would be ok with him being there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->