My doctor is baffled! Help! Any advice or thoughts appreciated

Berry143

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Man oh man have I been going through some weird stuff over the past 2 weeks.

I miscarried back in Feb. had one cycle and got pregnant. Technically I'm 10 weeks this Friday, however I have very irregular periods and ovulation.

2 weeks ago I started spotted. Had an scan which showed I was measuring at 5 weeks, no fetal pole yet. Doc wasn't concerned. Cervix closed.

Then last Friday started spotting again. Went to the hospital. My hcg levels had increased from 4000 to 23000 in the week!
They scanned me which showed I was measuring at 5 to 6 weeks no fetal pole. It was determined by the doc that I did not have a viable pregnancy. He was baffled though bc my hcg was so high. What is scary about all this is I overheard the doc tell the nurse that the radiologist may have mixed up the scans of mine and other patient!

Anyways, 2 days later, this past Monday, I went to see my doc for a follow up. My spotting had stopped. She did my hcg levels again which had increased to 35000! She is not baffled.
She won't send me for a dnc bc she is now thinking my pregnancy is ok.
Today she checked, my cervix remains closed. Took another beta today. Will get results tomorrow. Doc said the only other reason as to why ,y levels are going up is I have an ectopic preg. I'm not feeling any pain or cramping!

I'm confused, angry and frustrated..

Anyone have similiar experiences.

Oh I hope it's not a etopic but with the numbers rising that quick it sounds like it, I hope that's not the case and baby is just hiding. You don't have a tilted uterus or anything do you? What about another scan?

Doc has said anything about a tilted uterus. Going for another scan next week. If it was ectopic, I would be experiencing pain, which I'm not. And wouldn't it have shown in my last 2 scans?

there could be a 2nd baby in there hiding... either way somethings going on.. good luck

Doc has said anything about a tilted uterus. Going for another scan next week. If it was ectopic, I would be experiencing pain, which I'm not. And wouldn't it have shown in my last 2 scans?

sometimes people don't experience pain with ectopics until it gets to a certain point. But I'm confused, if they saw the gestational sac, wouldn't they know it was an intrauterine pregnancy?

Unless they think there is another ectopic pregnancy.

Very confusing. I would want to have them look for an ectopic ASAP if they think that's what it is.

How weird is that, I hope it a viable pregnancy and bub is just a little shy :) either way keep us updated :)

Well if they saw a pregnancy in your uterus already I doubt it's ectopic unless there is 2 and one is in the tubes. But if you were measuring 5 weeks 2 weeks ago you should be at 7 weeks now. Is it possible for a molar pregnancy? I think you can have really high and raising hcg with those? Unless they really have your dates off and you are only 5-6 weeks now? Yes, I guess baffled is the word :/..maybe twins and each scan they saw a different baby. Doesn't make sense how you can measure 5 weeks both times and have rising hormones.. I really hope all works out for the best though...fx'ed

I know it's not the point but could you arrange to go for a private scan just to put your mind at rest, I'd be going crazy if I was you. Good luck though I hope it all turns out ok x x

Usually with ectopics your hcg will be low and rise slower, so by your numbers it certainly doesnt sound ectopic.

Could your dates be off? When did you get your first positive pregnancy test?

Your hcg sounds promising so I hope everything turns out ok!

It sounds to me (although I hope it's not!) like a blighted ovum.

Diagnosing a Blighted Ovum

If you thought you had a normal pregnancy, you're not alone; many women with a blighted ovum think so because their levels of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) may increase. The placenta produces this hormone after implantation. With a blighted ovum, hCG can continue to rise because the placenta may grow for a brief time, even when an embryo is not present.

For this reason, an ultrasound test is usually needed to diagnose a blighted ovum -- to confirm that the pregnancy sac is empty.

Good luck! I hope you get another scan to confirm you have a perfect, healthy baby in there! :)

I don't know much about this and don't know if this is in the realm of possibility for you, but one of my son's therapists has a friend that is pregnant with twins and they are about a month apart. I know of a story where there was a women carrying twins that were 2 weeks apart. Good luck.

This happened to me in December! My levels were rising and rising despite them not being able to see baby on scans, just a sac!
They carried on scanning past 6 weeks because I do have a tilted uterus and my levels continued to rise really steeply! Unfortunately though the levels then dropped slightly and they were able to confirm a non-viable pregnancy, it was a blighted ovum!
I really hope it's just being tricky to find because I know how long this can drag on for but I would prepare yourself for the worst and hope for the best :S

I really hope it turns out OK for you Xx

Thx everyone. My update. Haven't bleed since June 7 th. my last ultrasound. My hcg evens continue to increase. I'm at 85000 now.
Tomorrow s my scan. The doc has ruled out ectopic at this time. I'm really starting to winder if this is really a true pregnancy and the stupid dc was wrong

Thx everyone. My update. Haven't bleed since June 7 th. my last ultrasound. My hcg evens continue to increase. I'm at 85000 now.
Tomorrow s my scan. The doc has ruled out ectopic at this time. I'm really starting to winder if this is really a true pregnancy and the stupid dc was wrong

So stressful! Good luck tomorrow! Hoping for a fantastic outcome!

Just popping over from 2nd to wish you luck! I'm sorry you're going through this! :( xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->