My Evening Primrose Oil findings -the good, bad and ugly

NorthStar

Reaction score
So here is 2 months worth of Evening Primrose Oil findings.

I started EPO to help with the horrible hormonal acne I've been getting between OV and AF every month since I came of BCP, seriously been worse than anything I had as a teen:dohh: and also to help with cramps/period pain, it was not part of a TTC vitamin regime but more for general health.

I took it from CD1 to somewhere approaching OV (but not quite for reasons which become apparent)

Before I took EPO my cycle was on average 27ish days - 11 days to O, 16 days LP.

First the good:
Hormonal spots more or less gone, nice clear skin restored:happydance:
Period pain much less intense, and possibly less pre AF food cravings/crappy moods :happydance:
EWCM has definitely increased - nice side effect, bonus (it was ok beofre EPO but more is good, right):happydance:

Now you're thinking what a wonder drug we should all be using this stuff?
Not so fast ladies...

Now the bad - affected my cycle

Delayed O - both months I didn't O until a few days after I stopped taking EPO, so follicular phase extended to 16-18 days
Shortened LP Yikes! both EPO cycles my LP went down to 9 or 10 days from 16! That's not even long enough for a implantation to occur!

So my cycle was still 27 days give or take, but not in a good way!

So this month cycle 3 I'm going to take it only until I finish bleeding and then stop straight away - this is the last chance for EPO to prove it's worth :growlmad:

Now supplements affect everyone different so I'm not saying that it's a bad thing for people to take, if I wasn't TTC I would be 100% happy with the positive effects of this one.

Just wanted to share with you ladies my experiences so far :flower:

Thanks for the info! I stopped taking it after you had the issues with it earlier and I am really glad that I did. :flower:

Well done for putting the info up :thumbup:

I can't comment on how EPO has affected me as I've been taking it for approx 12-18 months and only TTC again for 4 months. I have a 25 day cycle and a 13 day LP. I do wonder how my cycle would be off EPO but I take it for other factors not TTC.

It is wise for people to be aware of how a supplement affects their cycle and good for them to understand whilst it may be a wonder supplement for some it won't be for others :)

It's a tough one, as it has some great benefits BUT, not in my TTC regime.

I'm going to take it up until CD 6 this month (last chance!) and see what happens, the previous 2 cycles I took it up until CD12.

It's a shame as I love having my normal skin back, to the point where I wondered if I should counteract the shortened LP effect of the EPO with some B6 supplement, but it would probably be easier to not take anything.

It's a tough one, as it has some great benefits BUT, not in my TTC regime.

I'm going to take it up until CD 6 this month (last chance!) and see what happens, the previous 2 cycles I took it up until CD12.

It's a shame as I love having my normal skin back, to the point where I wondered if I should counteract the shortened LP effect of the EPO with some B6 supplement, but it would probably be easier to not take anything.

I think you are pointing out the obvious; where these forums can get dangerous. I know it is very exciting when one sees something that helped garner the elusive BFP, but it doesn't mean that the same product will work for someone else.

As far as hormonal breakouts go, I have suffered from them most of my life. The only things that I have found that truly worked are scripts that I can't use now. :growlmad: I take a combo of flax and borage oils that have really helped and they are good for the entire term of TTC.

I can't comment on how EPO has affected me as I've been taking it for approx 12-18 months and only TTC again for 4 months. I have a 25 day cycle and a 13 day LP. I do wonder how my cycle would be off EPO but I take it for other factors not TTC.

It is wise for people to be aware of how a supplement affects their cycle and good for them to understand whilst it may be a wonder supplement for some it won't be for others :)

For the "other factors" for me it is the dogs b*llocks, I'm loving having my skin back in shape, my PMT was a LOT better, and my period cramps are reduced to a dull ache where I can totally pop a painkiller and feel pretty much human.:thumbup: but if it's working in effect as a contraceptive, hmm.

Maybe if I kept it up for 6-12 months the effects on my LP would wear off, IDK, but I don't feel like I have that time up my sleeve.

For the "other factors" for me it is the dogs b*llocks, I'm loving having my skin back in shape, my PMT was a LOT better, and my period cramps are reduced to a dull ache where I can totally pop a painkiller and feel pretty much human.:thumbup: but if it's working in effect as a contraceptive, hmm.

Maybe if I kept it up for 6-12 months the effects on my LP would wear off, IDK, but I don't feel like I have that time up my sleeve.

It is a shame it is negatively effecting your TTC chances :( If only we had time to allow our bodies to get used to supplements but not a luxury for any of us :nope:

I am hoping that your plan of CD1 to CD6 works for you so you can continue to have fab skin :thumbup:

Dmom, you are 100% right, I had never actually heard of B6 before I joined the forum, and since I was on BCP I had never taken EPO either (though I had heard of it)

BCP worked well for me, so the pissy moods, the spots, the painful periods, this is probably just what a natural cycle feels like, after so long on BCP I just didn't know what to expect LOL.

B6 can't hurt; your body will filter whatever it doesn't use and BCP was my savior for my skin...that and Retin A, lol.

Wow that is disturbing... My cycles fluctuate quite a bit but one thing I have is late ov and short LP so I will definitely ditch the EPO this month to see if it makes a difference! Thanks!

Wow that is disturbing... My cycles fluctuate quite a bit but one thing I have is late ov and short LP so I will definitely ditch the EPO this month to see if it makes a difference! Thanks!

No worries, happy to help. I can confirm going back to earlier this year before we were TTC that my cycle was 12FP/15LP and didn't vary by more than a day each way, so for sure it affected me.

Hi Northstar

Really interesting findings with this - who'd have thunk it would actually shorten your LP? And you have a decently long one!!

I was prescribed EPO for sore boobs premenstrually and crippling period pain in my twenties. I have to say it never really worked for me. What did seem to work was fish oil - omega 3 rather than omega 6. I didn't take it in pill form, I just ate loads and loads of oily fish. It is also very good for the skin.

I take Udo's oil now which I find good, with yogurt in the morning - it helps that I like the taste - and which doesn't have any pesky hormonal side effects.

One thing I would recommend though is a regime of Agnus Castus for a couple of cycles. It's supposed to be really good post BCP for balancing out the hormones.

I'm just about to start my third full cycle of AC -- I thiiiink it's helping? maybe? Trouble is when you're taking two or three different things it's hard to pin down exactly what is making the difference! (Also taking B100-complex and dong quai, although the latter is fora different thing) I'm really hoping this month will be an improvement in LP length...

Thanks girls, hmm well I did have a look at the boots website and it's 3 for 2 on vitamins this month, but I think I need to not add anything else this month to my regime, I did buy Fish oil capsules but then read the back of the pack and it said not to take when TTC.

Thanks girls, hmm well I did have a look at the boots website and it's 3 for 2 on vitamins this month, but I think I need to not add anything else this month to my regime, I did buy Fish oil capsules but then read the back of the pack and it said not to take when TTC.

Did it? Was that fish oil or cod liver oil? Cod liver oil is a no-no because it contains too much vitamin A; but was far as I was aware omega 3 fish oil was ok ttc and during pregnancy. There are even brands who do omega 3 specially for pregnancy?!

As far as hormonal breakouts go, I have suffered from them most of my life. The only things that I have found that truly worked are scripts that I can't use now. :growlmad: I take a combo of flax and borage oils that have really helped and they are good for the entire term of TTC.

Skin break outs.....akk, I got a huge ol' volcano goin on right now. The only thing that will help me get rid of it is a paper bag over my head :(

Did it? Was that fish oil or cod liver oil? Cod liver oil is a no-no because it contains too much vitamin A; but was far as I was aware omega 3 fish oil was ok ttc and during pregnancy. There are even brands who do omega 3 specially for pregnancy?!

I got a go ahead from my dr about fish oil while ttc. I found it helped imensly with my anxiety issues & PMS, plus my LP was lengthened by a day! Not sure if the fish oil helped that though :shrug:

I swear by fish oil; i wish I could say I started it for TTC, but truthfully it was to loose weight.

Skin break outs.....akk, I got a huge ol' volcano goin on right now. The only thing that will help me get rid of it is a paper bag over my head :(

Eva before I started on EPO I had to buy Clearasil for the first time in about 20 years!:haha:

Suki - I bought Boots Cod Liver Oil, says on the back it contains Vitamin A which is a No No when TTC apparently.:wacko:I'll give it to my mum I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->