My Evening Primrose Oil findings -the good, bad and ugly

Too much vitamin A in the form of retinol can damage the foetus. Cod liver oil is rich in it, as is calves liver (never touch the stuff anyway. Puke). But fish oil (omega 3) is from the flesh of oily fish like mackerel or salmon and is fine to take while ttc and during pregnancy.

Wait so there are different kinds of fish oil?

:hissy:

Yes...I keep it simple and just use Omega 3-6-9 so I know I am getting all of it...how it's pressed matters and I always do the freeze test if I am using a new brand.

Too much vitamin A in the form of retinol can damage the foetus. Cod liver oil is rich in it, as is calves liver (never touch the stuff anyway. Puke). But fish oil (omega 3) is from the flesh of oily fish like mackerel or salmon and is fine to take while ttc and during pregnancy.

The vitamin A is why I had to give up my Retin-A, lol. I swear to you if I wrinkle, lol. It will get ugly, literally! :haha:

EPO shortened my cycles as well, however I started to ovulate on the CD 14 instead of CD16-18 and I also only get 1 day of + on my OPK where before I was getting up to 5 days of +. My cycle was two days shorter last cycle which is great the only downfall is that I was hoping it would help with migraines but it hasn't. Last month I only took it until CD 10 and it still worked..we'll give it another go this month :)

EPO shortened my cycles as well, however I started to ovulate on the CD 14 instead of CD16-18 and I also only get 1 day of + on my OPK where before I was getting up to 5 days of +. My cycle was two days shorter last cycle which is great the only downfall is that I was hoping it would help with migraines but it hasn't. Last month I only took it until CD 10 and it still worked..we'll give it another go this month :)

That is interesting that it made you O earlier, it did the same with Butterfly67, whereas it's making me O later but reducing LP - my overall cycle length of 27 days remaining the same:wacko:

So here is 2 months worth of Evening Primrose Oil findings.

I started EPO to help with the horrible hormonal acne I've been getting between OV and AF every month since I came of BCP, seriously been worse than anything I had as a teen:dohh: and also to help with cramps/period pain, it was not part of a TTC vitamin regime but more for general health.

I took it from CD1 to somewhere approaching OV (but not quite for reasons which become apparent)

Before I took EPO my cycle was on average 27ish days - 11 days to O, 16 days LP.

First the good:
Hormonal spots more or less gone, nice clear skin restored:happydance:
Period pain much less intense, and possibly less pre AF food cravings/crappy moods :happydance:
EWCM has definitely increased - nice side effect, bonus (it was ok beofre EPO but more is good, right):happydance:

Now you're thinking what a wonder drug we should all be using this stuff?
Not so fast ladies...

Now the bad - affected my cycle

Delayed O - both months I didn't O until a few days after I stopped taking EPO, so follicular phase extended to 16-18 days
Shortened LP Yikes! both EPO cycles my LP went down to 9 or 10 days from 16! That's not even long enough for a implantation to occur!

So my cycle was still 27 days give or take, but not in a good way!

So this month cycle 3 I'm going to take it only until I finish bleeding and then stop straight away - this is the last chance for EPO to prove it's worth :growlmad:

Now supplements affect everyone different so I'm not saying that it's a bad thing for people to take, if I wasn't TTC I would be 100% happy with the positive effects of this one.

Just wanted to share with you ladies my experiences so far :flower:

Hey my lovely thanks for all your info in EPO as you know this is my 1st time trying it because my CM has reduced since taking meds for post-natal depression. I will keep you informed on how it's working for me. I need to ask you a question though, when do i stop taking it in my cycle? I am on cycle day 12. I have just recently started getting longer FP around 14-18 and LP is 16 days which gives an average cycle of 30 days min. My cycle length always use to be 28 days. I did an OPK today it was negative which is to be expected. I am also taking Soy Isfo and Pregnacare Conception vitamins. I'm really worried now that ovulation will be delayed with using EPO?! :hugs::flower:

Hey Jodes, well it certainly delayed my O both months, I stopped using it on CD12 as I would have expected to O by then naturally, the other ladies on the forum take it until O was confirmed and then stop on the day their temps go up, so you could either stop now, or keep going until you have confirmed O and stop then.

I think if I had kept taking it I would still be waiting to O, first month it happened CD16 second month it happened CD18! so had to be EPO free for 4 - 6 days before I O'd.

The second month I was experimenting with a higher dosage, the first month I was on 500mg a day, so there is some correlation between how much I took and how much it delayed O.

That's not to say it will have the same effect on you of course, Butterfly 67 told me it brought hers FORWARD.

Thanks for that i may just wait until ovulation is confirmed and then stop.

Definitely stop when O is confirmed as it causes uterine contractions, but come back to this thread and post your findings, I'm really interested to hear how you get on with it.

Definitely stop when O is confirmed as it causes uterine contractions, but come back to this thread and post your findings, I'm really interested to hear how you get on with it.

i certainly will :flower: x

I'm trying EPO this month as well, along with Vitamin B Complex because I found out I have a short LP of 11 days - and last month I had spotting at 8! Here's hoping the EPO makes my O early and the Vit B extends my LP. :)

I'm trying EPO this month as well, along with Vitamin B Complex because I found out I have a short LP of 11 days - and last month I had spotting at 8! Here's hoping the EPO makes my O early and the Vit B extends my LP. :)

Yikes, trying 2 new things at the same time?:wacko: EPO reduced my LP from 16 days to 9 days, so I hope it doesn't have this affect on you....

Yikes, trying 2 new things at the same time?:wacko: EPO reduced my LP from 16 days to 9 days, so I hope it doesn't have this affect on you....

Agree with North Star....It's never a good idea to add more than 1 item at a time to your regime....

I agree with the other ladies; if you add more than one, there is no way to know which one is doing what.

***hijack alert***

Indigo, according to your chart, you should be OVing very soon! Here's to hoping DH's guys are still floating around in there!

***hijack alert***

Indigo, according to your chart, you should be OVing very soon! Here's to hoping DH's guys are still floating around in there!

LOL it's about time a threadjack occurred, 5 pages of vitamins and no one has even mentioned their dogs. I took my dog out for Sunday lunch yesterday at a country pub, he sat under the table and ate some of my dad's roast beef.:thumbup:

***hijack alert***

Thanks....:hugs:

I am hoping to jump him as soon as he gets back tomorrow....hope we don't miss yet another cycle....:coffee:

There's only so much a girl can say about vitamins, lol.

I wish I lived in an area where dogs were allowed to be in a restaurant, at least outside, but not going to happen here. I can't even get the dog warden to help out with the feral cat population bc in my area they are considered livestock. :growlmad:

We take them to be fixed when we can catch them, but most of them just keep breeding.

Indigo- I hope you don't miss it as well! :hugs:

Indigo I loved your comment to your OH that if he went away during O time again, you would just get someone else in to do the job, if mine ever does something like that I'm so stealing that!!!

I'm not sure if I'm going to have a crack at it this cycle or not, I'll know better next week if my egg rocks up early.

DMom, feral cats are such a menace to wildlife:growlmad:

Indigo I loved your comment to your OH that if he went away during O time again, you would just get someone else in to do the job, if mine ever does something like that I'm so stealing that!!!

I'm not sure if I'm going to have a crack at it this cycle or not, I'll know better next week if my egg rocks up early.

DMom, feral cats are such a menace to wildlife:growlmad:

It's just bad all the way around. Like I said, if we can get them into a carrier or humane trap, I take them to a charity that will low cost spay/neuter and then I release them. The shelters here are full. IDK what else to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->