My mom hates the name we've picked

MyFavSurprise

Reaction score
And she can't explain why, except that it just gives her "a feeling". I absolutely love it, I know it's not everybody's style, but it is perfect for us.

Our baby boy is due 9 days after the first of spring, and the name Zephyr means a warm gentle breeze, or a gentle breeze from the west. It was also a name from Greek mythology, a handsome man who was said to be the god of the mild west wind that brought in spring. I also like that I can sing him The Zephyr Song by the Red Hot Chili Peppers lol.

I have always wanted to use a name from Greek mythology, but they are usually too absurd sounding. Here and there I find one I love and this one my husband agrees with me on.

My first son was named after the Japanese god of lightning and thunder, though most people think Mortal Combat..all based on the same guy. It fits him perfectly, even though I originally didn't like it, until days after he was born, it just felt right.

Our second son's name is Hawaiian, it means brave, bold, and fearless and it very much fits our little tough guy, this boy is a tiny warrior lol.

I am just irritated that she doesn't like it i guess and she is begging that we don't use it. I completely love it, my husband is all for it... we like different types of names but easy to pronounce and not completely out of this world.

I also like how our boy's names sound together... Raiden, Koah, and Zephyr.

Does anyone have any suggestions for names along the lines of Zephyr?

Very interesting name - I have to admit it does make me cringe a little though, but probably because I know it as a name of a car that Ford used to make. Apparently I was conceived in the back seat of one!

My OH likes names along the similar lines, he wanted our older kids to be called Kronos and Athena.

Your mum should be supportive of your choice though no matter what she thinks of it. She should keep her thoughts to herself. I think it's horrible that she's begging you not to use it!

My mum said she didn't like my little boy's name before he was born. This was after she begged me to tell her what it was and I wanted to keep it secret. I ignored her and used it anyway and I'm glad as it really suits him and dh and I (and the little man actually) all love it.

I'd just still use it

When he's here the name will quickly become as normal sounding as any other the amount of times you'll all say it. She'll get used to it :)

Thank you all, haha I wonder if her association is with the car as well..was it an ugly car? Lol. She did say it is the name of a train.. There was a child at my son's preschool with the name, so I know it's not too absurd, and I had already thought it was beautiful.. i guess I should make sure my husband hasn't changed his mind. I'm afraid to ask :/

Not that it matters but I think it's a great name! But more importantly, I agree that you shouldn't let your mum put you off. Your child, your choice.

Totally not my style but I actually kind of like it!

My mom didn't like the name we had picked for our LO had she been a boy, and as close as I am with my mom, I didn't really care. It's your kid and you need to be happy with the name! Your mom will get used to it and if she doesn't then it's her issue.

I would use it anyway. He's your son and it's up to you. I didn't tell family our name choices beforehand as it's so much harder for them to criticise a name once the baby is actually here!

I agree with everyone else if you both love it I would use it anyways. We have had SO much input from family members on names this times its annoying. We had already decided this baby's name and everyone keeps offering other suggestions. I finally had to say good thing it's my baby and I get to decide!

I'm sorry about your mom, but it really isn't any of her business. I would use the name anyway. Plus, you could also sing the Maddona song Ray of light (as I'm sure he will be) to the baby! :)

But as a pp said, my OH and I also don't intend to tell the name of our (fx) future baby before birth. I don't know why, but people tend to assume that you want their input and that their opinion in this actually matters. Of course, it doesn't. So we won't tell anyone. We already decided that if anyone bugs us too much, we'll tell them we'll name the baby after OH if it's a boy or after me if it's a girl. I don't think anyone would have the guts to tell us those names are ugly :p

I would normally hate a name like that. I love it though! He could be Zeph as a nn. I would totally use it. It's cool and unique without being ridiculous

Boody mothers hay!

I don't know how to read/say that name so i can't really give an opinion on it x Not that my opinion matter at all!

I think you should go with your feelings because is your kid, you were the one that carried him 9 months and the one that's gonna raise him. If it helps, Granny could have a short nickname for him :)

Google just told me how to say it, i like it!!! <3 sod your mum, tell her she had her chance to name her children, its your turn now.

I've always loved that name. I'm not brave enough to use it but always jealous of those that are. (I've heard of another two ppl with that name.) My two cents is that it might be misheard as "Jeff-what??" a lot. Your mom will grow to like it or find a mm that works for her. I think the name matches his brothers and your naming style very well.

I love the name Zephyr!
I love that it's a Z name and I also love the chili peppers song!
Don't worry what others think. It's your baby. There's always going to be someone that doesn't like any name.

It's a unisex name though I've only known 2 people with that name and they were both girls. Maybe around here it's mostly used for girls? It's not common enough that I've met a bunch with that name in my travels and would know if it was mostly guys/girls elsewhere. I think it's pretty and if you like it you should use it. I would personally say that she would have a totally valid request if it was the name of someone she had a history with, like an ex or an old friend/enemy. It would be really tough for me if my grandchild was named the same thing as someone I dated for a long time or someone I couldn't stand! But to just not care for it really shouldn't matter. I mean honestly if you had to please everyone you would never pick a name!

Ugh I'd just ignore her and use the name anyway! I know my ILs don't think my son's name fits with his last name (Alexander Hansen) which is BS so ignoring them :shrug: Can't stand when family mixes in like that, they shouldn't say anything unless asked for their opinion!

You can't please everyone, it is your child and your choice. My mum doesn't like my boy choice either, says it is "pretentious" (don't see how), do I care?? Nope!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->