My story so far

Hello everyone

My beautiful baby Nia went to the angels on Wednesday evening, 27 August, 2008 after a very courageous 6 week fight.

As mentioned before, Nia was born at 23+6 weeks gestation weighing 650 grams. I went into labour very unexpectedly following a somewhat stressful pregnancy…with bleeding, numerous degenerating fibroids, and group B strep which the consultant thinks was responsible for the my baby’s premature arrival.

The journey has been full of many ups and downs. It was a case of taking it day by day, sometimes, hour by hour. Going to the ICU is scary even if you have spoken to the nurse/Doctor an hour ago…you never know what to expect when you walk in those doors. My tummy was constantly in knots. This is a roller coaster that I would never wish on anyone. I have dreams of the sounds of the machines in the unit, also of the saturation levels etc

However, we were secretly hoping that she was going to make it. After all, she had fought of numerous infection including Candida sepsis and fungal meningitis…things had started to look promising, she was over 1kg and appeared to be going in the right direction. On the Tuesday before, she was taken out for a lovely 2 hour cuddle with me. Her vital signs were good, she was stable, staring at me with large loving eyes, and she was infection free it appeared. My heart melted and my mind started working overtime, thinking about all the love we were going to shower her with when she got home.

Until, on Wednesday morning, my baby fell ill and was diagnosed with Necrotising Enterocolitis (NEC). She had to have emergency surgery. It was basically an ‘open and close ‘ operation as the surgeon concluded that the condition of her bowel/intestines were not compatible with life. My angel’s earth body was dying, her guts had died and the contents were coming out of her beautiful nose and mouth. There was nothing they could do to save her. To cut a long story short, we switched off the ventilator and I have now reached the bottom of the roller coaster and stopped there. I am paralysed.

I cannot comprehend what has happened. My heart has been smashed and right now I feel that I will never recover, ever…

My husband and I are DEVASTATED…we have so many questions….could we have done more? Was I too old to carry a baby at 37? ( We had our first son 18 years ago when we were very young. Pregnancy was non eventful and my son was born at term weighing 9 IB 13. My son has been raised as an only child and is perfect, off to Uni soon. So, we decided to wait until we were financially secure, happy in our various careers, and ready before we planned a new pregnancy. We knew the exact date our angel was conceived (just one try…sorry too much info) .We where SO excited that she was coming. This was our dream baby. And this happens……Can we EVER get over this? I even fear for my relationship as we are both so consumed with our own grief. I had never seen my husband cry until now. He can’t stop, nor can I….nor can my son who I haven’t seen cry for years…….

To detract slightly, I went see my GP today and he was v sorry but his comments were: ‘what did you really expect? Your baby was only 23+6 weeks. You’ll have another baby. Don’t worry.’ I know he was being realistic, but I felt…don’t say that, my Nia was a person who lived for 6 weeks……

My mind has gone to mush. More questions: how does one plan a baby’s funeral,?. Surely this should not be the order of events? Should be the other way round. Where do I get tiny baby clothes?, what do I dress her in?. I want her to look beautiful, what should the order of the day be? What can I put in the coffin? What happens to work as I am on maternity leave? When do I go back? What do I do with the cards and little gifts some hopeful friends and family have given me? Pictures etc etc ...enough, enough

Sorry, I am ranting a bit and I know that I am not the first and will not be the last to experience this. However, at present, I feel cheated. My prayers, and the prayers of MANY friends and family did not work. The conclusion for me is…God knows best.

I must go now but sincerely thank you all for everything, for listening to me and responding to my thread…THANK YOU

OMG....I'm so sorry babe.

Crying too much to type now, will pm you:hugs::hug:

Ok...able to type again now.

The hospital will probably give you details of a specific funeral director that they use/recommend but you can use anyone you like obviously....as far as I know baby funerals are free of charge unless you want "extras" like upgraded coffin etc, we just had to buy the "plot" at the cemetary. Many SCBU's have a specific "baby garden" at the cemetary where a lot of the babies are buried or remains scattered or where families go to remember. We bought a plot and had our babies buried there but it's right near the baby garden which I thought was nice.

With my 24week old daughter Rachael, my mum's friend made the clothes for her but I don't doubt that nowadays you may be able to buy something appropriate off the net if you don't know anyone who could make an outfit for Nia. I bought a tiny bracelet and put a cross from a necklace on it and lay it on Rachael like a baby necklace. We also put pictures etc of us in the coffin as we did when we lost Thomas (at 34wks)....the 1st toy we bought for them also went in with a letter/poem that we had wrote.

I had lots of comments like "you can have another" or "everything happens for a reason"

WTF....I'm sure they'd think differently if it was their child they were burying:hissy:

Your maternity leave/pay, free prescriptions etc are still exactly the same as if Nia was still here babe.

I bought a beautiful pink gingham and a blue gingham box for my two angels "stuff", cards (congratulations and Sympathy) are in there along with photo's, baptism certificates, birth and death certificates and special clothes, hats, blankets that they used too. I take them out and have a cry every now and then, which feels good but they are very special keepsake boxes and I would highly recommend doing this. You could also put a letter in or a diary of how you feel:hugs:

I hope this has been useful, SANDS are a great organisation when you are ready. If I can help any further....now or down the line, do not hesitate to contact me babe:hug:Heather xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh honey... I am so sorry. I just don't have the words.. my heart goes out to you. I cant stop crying. If you need someone to talk to who has been there, you can message me any time. :hugs::hugs: My thoughts are with you and your family, and I wish you the strength to get through this heartbreaking time.. :hug::hugs:

My thoughts are with you all, R.I.P little one and look after Mummy and Daddy xx

I am so sorry hun, My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Luv Cheryl xxx

I am SO sorry to hear this!!!

I hope and pray that you are as ok as you can be!

xxx

Abby, Im so sorry for your loss. x :(

IM so sorry for your loss hun ! I cried as i read the whole thread Nia was a fighter and she faught all she could bless her lil soul and may she rest in peace in the hands of god

Im so so sorry hun...sending you and your family all my love xxx

Thanks everyone for your time and kind words.

I'll be honest, its been a week and i still can't believe this has happened to me. Some days are bearable. Others are AWFUL.

Its still so fresh and our angel's funeral is not for 10 days yet. Don't know how I can go through that. This feels to me at the moment, a dream......but a the worst dream fathomable for me.

Abby

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

All our thoughts are with you and your family. It will be a long, hard road, but you will get through it, and it will get easier. Eventually. Find support from wherever you can, and don't ever be afraid to ask for help & support if you need it. We are all here for you in the very least. I know it's the worst nightmare you can ever imagine.. no-one should ever have to go through it, and it is so very unfair. But stay strong, just get through each day, and time is the only thing that will heal.. huge hugs to you and your family. xx

so sorry u & ur family are in my thoughts xxx

Oh my poor darling.I don't know where to start.Life is so shit at times.You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.She'll be with all the other little angels looking down on you every day.Please try to stay strong.All the love in the world. Zoe xxxx

Aww babe....I'm still here for you whenever you need me:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Im sorry to hear this hun she fought her hardest, you and hubby ake care of yourselves :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->