naming baby something VERY unusual..

It doesn't seem too unusual to me! I love welsh names!!

Our LO is Reginald and we get odd looks about it, but we don't care at all? All the oldies love it!!

I think it's a lovely name, I know one Ieuan and he's not been "picked on" ever for his name. More importantly, I think it's lovely that you have chosen a name to reflect your OH's welsh background.

Stand your ground...Keep the name.

We've gone with Harrison, and when my family heard that's what we'd chosen...we got a lot of comments about how they didnt like the name and wouldn't choose it. "Exactly...!!! It's not your child and you're not choosing the name!" Needless to say, the family have now come round to it and are already referring to bubs as Harrison when they talk about him!

It's a GORGEOUS name and if you like it you should go for it.

We are calling the baby Wilfred and when I told my Mum she started to turn her nose up at it, I immediately stopped her and said that is the baby's name and you don't have to like it. She hasn't said anything since, except that she's starting to like it!

If you had told people the name after he was born people would have just accepted it, I don't know why people think it's OK to criticise them if you tell them before the baby's born.

Sorry if this has all been covered, I only read your original post and not the entire thread! x

Aww I know how you feel totally but the name I've chosen is max and it's not even unusual and family keeps saying arrr it'll be like you've got a dog wit that name I just told them to f off and I'm keeping the name

Thanks everyone, you have really cheered me up this morning. Still feel a bit angry/hurt by my side of the family but aspeople have said he'll be too cute for anyone to care! Lol , its a bit different to Ieuan , its Yi(as in eye) - an. Just if anyone wanted to know! Xx

Thanks everyone, you have really cheered me up this morning. Still feel a bit angry/hurt by my side of the family but aspeople have said he'll be too cute for anyone to care! Lol , its a bit different to Ieuan , its Yi(as in eye) - an. Just if anyone wanted to know! Xx

I think having a name that has a story and heritage is wonderful too, it makes it more special. I would have loved an excuse to use a lovely Welsh name.

Moomoo, Reginald is a fab name! I love the old names that are coming back.

:hugs:

I love it!! But I am welsh too, so I am biased. But I know what you mean. My OH's parents dont like our baby's names "Esham" because it sounds too ethnic!! Well I am also half Indian and wanted some part of my dad's heritage and culture passed on. So its an Indian name...so of course it sounds fricking ethnic!!!! I am still mad about it.

I have basically told anyone who said they dont like it, tough shit!! its our choice. when he gets here that will be his name and you wont care what his name is you will love him all the same!! xxxx

Beautiful name :0) you will regret it if you dont go with your heart ... ;0)

you have to name your baby the name you are happy with. Saying that we are not telling family our choices to avoid this kind of conversation, everyone has an opuinion before the event but when you just announce it, they wont say a thing even if they dont like it.

I have an unusual name and no-one could spell or pronounce it growing up and I found that hard. I have been determined when naming my baby to ensure its something easy to spelll and proniunce, I found the issues with my name did upset me a lot as a child.

I absolutely love it! I love different names.. I grew up with an extremely popular name where there were at least 3 other girls in my classes with my name. I hated it! So we made sure to give our son a different name so he could stand out :) I agree with everyone else, go with what you love.. it's your son and you'll have to say his name for the rest of his life <3

you have to name your baby the name you are happy with. Saying that we are not telling family our choices to avoid this kind of conversation, everyone has an opuinion before the event but when you just announce it, they wont say a thing even if they dont like it.

I have an unusual name and no-one could spell or pronounce it growing up and I found that hard. I have been determined when naming my baby to ensure its something easy to spelll and proniunce, I found the issues with my name did upset me a lot as a child.

Thanks for being honest :) his middle names are Alexander Peter so if it does cause upset to him I'll have no problems with him taking one of them, although DH says Alexander with a northen accent which causes some debate with us lol.

If people struggle, he will only have to correct them once, then they will remember how to say it, especially his friends / teachers / colleagues. I don't think it's a problem really, especially with some of the "wacky" names going round nowadays.

My first name is "Leigh" which isn't necessarily "unusual" but (at least where I'm from) it's extremely uncommon. I've only physically met 2 other people with the same name (a guy and a girl!)

Growing up, most people never pronounced my name right (neither my first or last name!). I was always called "Lei" (as in "sleigh") or "Leah." As a kid, I actually really liked that most people mis-pronounced my name. It made me feel unique (and now I live in a country where the combination of letters in my name makes no sense in their language at all! No one knows how to pronounce it when reading it!) It continues to amuse me, and I love that my name is uncommon.

Everyone is different... if you gave your LO a common name, he might hate that... if it's unusual, there's a chance he wouldn't like that either. You can't predict what HE wants, so you should be choosing something for yourself!

I think it's really awful that your mother isn't being supportive and is giving your little sister a bad opinion as well! Tell her that it's going to be much more hurtful to your son when his grandmother makes comments on his name than if anyone else does!

I love the name Iaean. I teach a little boy named Iaean, he is 4 and none of the children in his class/in the playground have trouble saying his name. I did keep getting it wrong, but I blame my pregnant brain! My name is common now but I didn't know any other Eleanor's until I was 16 and I loved having an uncommon name.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the name. I must admit that In wouldn't have a clue how to pronounce it, but once I was told I'd remeber. I thought that you were going to call your child somethig really odd like 'Bus Stop' or 'Curly-wurly'

I love the name! I prefer unusual names to more common ones. I grew up with a very common first name (there were four girls in my grade school class with the same name!) and always said I'd pick more unusual names for my children.

my family (well my mom) think we are crazy for choosing Rivington, a really cool street in New York City in our neighborhood. Since he is being born here and it is a huge place in our lives I just wanted it to be really special and have meaning so when he is older I can show him in pictures where he was born and what an important time in our lives it was.

My dad said it was a beautiful name (awww daddy!) so I was so surprised and happy by that because my dad is a quiet guy from the south. But everyone is trying to give me middle name choices so he can go by that name. But no one ever stops and thinks maybe he will actually like his name? Though I have never met or known of anyone named Rivington to me it does not sound strange at all. Like that COULD be a name UGH :(

Not everyone will be pleased with the name choice, whether it's common or not. My Dad and sister are teachers and if they have had a problem student with the same name OH and I like we hear about how we should not name our kids that and stuff all the time. I finally told my family it's our choice as in OH and my choice and that they will need to live with whatever name we choose. When I told my mom one of the names we were considering a few weeks ago she said she didn't like the name that it was too unique and that it didn't sound right to her. I told her kindly she had the chance to name her children what she wanted to and now it was my choice to name my kids what I want. I also reminded her that my grandparents were not keen on my brother's name at first because they were afraid he would have a nickname of my Grandfather's coworker that he didn't get along with. My parents didn't listen to my grandparents and named my brother the name anyway. Also take it from Shakespeare "What's in a name? Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet?" So therefore, for centuries people have disliked names of others, and this will always continue, if you love the name that's all that matters. Besides even if you have a common name your child can be made fun of at school too!

I think you have to remember its your baby and both of you should decide what its called. we have had loads of pressure from people saying they dont like this and that but you cant even please everyone and different generations like different names.
ive got a really really unusual name (all my other family members have normal names), and ive never met anyone called it in my life, i do get it misspronounced and spelt wrong all the time but i love having a name that no one else has. Lots of people comment asking me where its from etc. Which is why i wanted to give my little on something unusual.
If you love it and your other half love it just go with it
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->