NaNoWriMo - Official Thread!

I've always wanted to try this, and going to attempt to give it a go myself!
I've a few ideas... But need to start putting more thought into them to decide which one to go with, ha!

So glad I found this I've been so stuck. I LOVE writing and have written a short novel (22.5K words) though it has only ever been a rough draft but any idea I've had since then starts great and spirals into not knowing how to finish it or not being able to develop the characters etc etc

This sounds like just what I need x

I completed NaNoWriMo in 2007 and 2011. I attempted it as well in 2010 and 2012 but didn't win.

The 2007 novel - nothing came of it. I tried to carry it on after November but I gave it up as a bad job. So I have a 50,000 word half-novel sat around on my computer somewhere lol.

The 2011 one I continued through December and mid-January 2012 I finished it. I then spent 2012 editing it, and it went up for sale as an ebook last month. It's on Amazon, Google Books/Play, Kobo, Sellfy, and my own website. It's called Wolf Born :) It's about 120,000 words now.

I might do NaNo this year. I'm not sure. I do want to write the sequel to Wolf Born, and NaNo keeps me focused, but I don't know if I have the time to commit to it. I'll see.
I'm XenaGlamRocker on the NaNo boards anyway.

That's really great to get to the point of publishing. How are sales going? Have you gotten any reviews?

I've only sold 15. Got 2 reviews on amazon and one on google books.

I need to work on marketing it really but I've been so busy with Nathan.

Hey, that's a start! I'd love to publish, but I'm terrified of bad reviews.

Some criticism would be good, but I'm afraid that no one would like my book. I sound like George McFly: "Oh, no, I couldn't let anyone read it. They might not like it and tell me I’m no good. I just don’t think I could take that kind of rejection." :haha:

I have just received my first email from my local NaNo group! All sorts of fun stuff planned here in Calgary.
Plus, I have looked up a bunch of free creative writing workshops put on by our very awesome city library (kind of gobsmacked by how many great free seminars are available!) and am slotting what I can into the sched.
Biggest achievement so far?
I forced myself to take out a very pretty blank notebook that I had been saving for who knows what and dirtied up several pages with brainstorms and character notes and just complete total garbage. Can't tell you all how liberating that felt.
Here's to getting the page dirty, my fellow NaNoWriMoers! :) :wine:

Okay, check in!
Who's gearing up?
I am terrified of November, quite honestly.
I think I have way too many things going on and I'm going to get my ass kicked. But I'm still going to do it! I produce my best work under stress! :)
I had hoped to do lots of prep with the novel workbook earlier than this, but I think I am just going to use that as my exercise-generator. When I get stuck, I am planning to take one of the exercises and just start working on that. The whole point of this for me is to get going, get working, get writing, stop censoring before it hits the page.

How is everyone else feeling?

I'm the same. I started uni a few weeks ago and have so much reading to do and all my first assignments are due in December. I'm still going to give it a go but I definitely don't think it'll be great work. But it will be a starting point to work from x

I have mixed feelings :haha: I've gotten away from creative writing and have been reading nonfiction. I'd consider writing a nonfiction piece, but Nano is supposed to only be fiction. :shrug:

It could be my dirty little secret! :)

You know what? I think the process is more important than the product. I could care less if I produce a novel. What I want is to start a discipline of writing and creating. Unfortunately, I am so good at editing that I have managed to stop the creative flow full stop. Plus, I want to write something just for me. Not for a project or an assignment.
Non-fiction could be great, hakuna. Whatever gets you going, you know?

You could always be a Nano Rebel, hakuna. You wouldn't be alone, there is even a forum for those who choose to write a memoir, a book of short stories, etc. instead of a novel.

I am going to be participating for the third year in a row! I "won" in 2011 and 2012, so I am confident for this year. It helps that for once I like the story I'm planning haha

Hello ladies! Happy November!

I will embark on this journey, even though I'm sure I'll have many challenges (Ariana's surgery, MIL's surgery, and Thanksgiving!)

But before I start making excuses and talking myself out of it, I will try to do my best.

I will be "cheating" and writing non-fiction. It's basically going to be like a master's level thesis. I did write a thesis a few moons ago, but this is even better because I am writing this one without the constraints of a prescribed program of study. The independent study feel of this project is liberating. If I do decide to go back to school for a master's or a doctorate after the kids are in school, the writing that I am doing now might be quite helpful. This project is also preventing what I call "toddler rot", which is a condition caused by watching too many episodes of Sesame Street and similar children's shows. :)

So... I didn't start writing and I think I am going to forget about it for this year.
Things were looking great, but 5 minutes before midnight, OH decided to announce he still isn't ready to have this baby. I knew NaNo'ing while pregnant would be tough, but NaNo'ing while pregnant AND seeing my life crumble at the same time is too much.

I wish you ladies good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->