Nappies and wipes

Rachel_C

Reaction score
Has everyone started thinking about what nappies you'll use yet? I'm determined to make washable nappies work for me and have decided to try the mothercare smart nappies. I bought a starter pack today cos it had £10 off and I wanted to have a play with them. My husband thinks I'm a crazy nappy lady already! I've read mixed reviews on them, but overall it seems positive and I like the fact that you can choose to use a washable inner pad or use a disposable one - easier when you're out and about. The sizes confused me a bit though. Newborn is for babies 4-11lbs and Small is for 6-13lbs. I know I'll need more than one starter pack to use them full time, so for now I bought a pack of Small, hoping that they'll be ok for a newborn who is normal weight. Do you think that's ok? The only other difference I can see is that the newborn ones have a bit cut out for the umbilical cord. Do you think the ones without that bit cut out will hurt baby? I might buy a pack of newborn ones too, or maybe I'll just use eco disposables at first to make things easier. The local real nappy network offer a cheap starter pack of different brands of washable nappy, so maybe I'll give those a try too!

Another thing I'm thinking about is baby wipes. I've seen adverts for washable wipes but I'm not sure if that's just one step too far in the ickiness stakes. What do you think? If I'm washing nappies anyway, it won't be extra work, but I'm just not sure it's worth it. The big thing in favour of them is that I'm the kind of person who uses far too much tissue/cotton wool etc so it would probably work out a lot cheaper and much better for the environment if I get washable ones.

Please share your thoughts!

Im using reusable wipes but going with disposable nappies. I bought a kit from www.cheekywipes.com and was pleasantly surprised with what you get with it :D

I'm going to use both but you can buy disposables that biodegrade quickly which was my main concern. They are a little more expensive but still worth it. Try getting nappies made from Bamboo they are much softer and more absorbent than cotton ones.

I ma going to make my own wipes with the cushies diaper liners - they are flushable and biodegradable and relatively cheap. I wish that they came in unbleached or recycled though - better than nothing IMO. I am also going to go with washables, and use g-diapers for when we go out, etc.

:)
A

There are sooo many about nowadays that I had no clue! Joined www.clothnappytree.com and they are absolutely brilliant and have lots of reviews. I have seen that so many people have different experiences so rather than go for one type I am getting different ones to test. So far I have or have on order Cotton tots bots, bamboo tots bots, itti bitti d'lish (absolutely gorgeous!!) and cotton and bamboo little lambs. I will also be using biodegradable flushable liners :) I am leaning much towards to the bamboos for their slimmness and absorbancy, even tho they take longer to dry. They stay so much softer then the cotton as you can't use softner in your wash :D

Main thing to ask yourself is the type of nappy you wnat - flats, 2 parters, all in ones, pockets? Then you can start looking at the ones best for you based on cost, how you intend to dry, how often you will wash etc.

I would like to use terrys again as I did for my first LO. Havng used disposables all through with my second they work out much cheaper as I already have them, plus the enviromental benifits. However my OH is not so happy about using them, hes all for the convienece of dispoables. I think in the end hell go along with what I want aslong as he doesn't have to wash them:rofl:
Can't for the life of me think what make my terrys are but they have always been reliable. We had a few problems when LO first started to go throuh the night as they couldn't hold the liquid but we fixed that with extra liners.
The biggest downside for me is drying them in the winter, I find that they tend to go hard drying them on radiator. Also she was always one size bigger in clothes due to how bulky they were. Its been 7 years since I bought mine so it would be interesting to see how they have improved.
I read somewhere recently that they have opened some new plants to recycle standard disposable nappies. They take the contents to compost down and the actual nappys are recyled into something, can't remember exactly what ( can you tell I've got baby brain tonight!:dohh:) but it was very interesting and nice to know that is you do use disposable nappies, they are much less harmfull to our LO's world.
If you are looking to buy terry nappies, it is also worth having a look on the net for grants. Some councils offer help towards the cost plus other incentives (sp?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->