nappies...

Mrs-N

Mummy to Joshua James
Reaction score
everyone seems to be buyong me nappies,which im very grateful for but im planning on using washable nappies so i only needed a pack of disposable nappies for the hospital.
so the other week i baught a pack of 27 newborn nappies then i saw a friend the other day and she had baught me some baby clothes and a pack of 27 nappies and now i have just got a text off my MIL saying she has baught me a pack of nappies for the hospital.

so now i have 81 nappies and im hoping im not in hospital that long.

im just hoping no one else buy me any.

i sound so selfish but im very grateful.

They'll be nice to have as backup & then when you're baby outgrows the size you have you can just give them to someone else.

I plan on using cloth as well - so far most people I know don't understand me choice. Hahaha

ooo i plan to use cloth as well :happydance: nice to see others who are also into that sort of thing!

if you have too many disposables you can always sell the extra packages and use the $$ to fund for more cloth fluff ;)

I want to use cloth but have been advised to use disposables until baby is about 10lb. This means that you dont have to buy newborn cloth ones (the size 1's can be used on newborns but can be a bit bulky apparently). So Im planning on that. Have no idea how long it takes for a newborn to hit 10lb though, obv depending on how much they weigh at birth!

Who knows, maybe your baby will be born 10lbs...lol

Keep the extra disposables for going out and visiting. That is what im planning, I will use washables for at hoe and disposables when I go out etc.

Maybe see if you can find a shop that will trade one or 2 of the packs for a larger size?

If you really don't want the disposables, maybe look at donating them to a local women's group that needs them.

I am using cloth as well. I will be using a diaper service for the first few months, until the baby is out of newborn size, then I plan on buying lots of all in ones. This way, I don't have to invest in the little newborn, and I don't have to worry about washing diapers while trying to adjust to having a new baby.

i cant believe there are so many of us that are going to use washable nappies.

when i tell people that we are using washable nappies and they look at me with a blank face,like its wrong.

so now i dont mention it but why should i keep it quiet,im doing something good for the environment and my baby.

people seem to think its wrong.

i emailed 'bounty' a few months ago asking them why do they give a free disposable nappy in their bounty packs and why they dont give info on washable nappies and i got a letter back from them saying they dont agree or beleive in washable nappies as it is not proven to be helping the environment and that you will use the electric to wash them.
BUT surly its better than putting disposable nappies in landfil.

sorry for running on.

Well basically for me, it will save alot of money. I dont mind doing washing etc.

I like the idea of the washable nappies but i'm giving it a miss. I think it will be hard enough to cope with a new baby without adding extra washing to the works lol

As for the extra nappies, maybe you could donate them to a nursery/playgroup or something - i'm sure they would be appreciated :)

Ryder, thats what im going to do :happydance: also for the money saving..also they are dead cute with all the different types and colours n things!! Im just happy that they dont use the pins n things now ha ha!! I remember doing my sisters nappies like that and sowre i'd never ever use them!! :rofl:

yes im using them as it saves money but aswell i wont feel guilty for changing babys bottom and knowing that everytime i do so thats another nappy in landfill and i wqont feel guilty for doing a load of washing.

i dont think it will be too hard to ash them, put them into a bucket until you have enough for a load then put them in washing machine.
they dont take too long to dry either. (the ones im gonna use)

these days we can wash them at 40 degrees so there's no need to boil wash them - which would use a lot of energy. we can get anti-bacterial stuff to pop in the wash (I got from mothercare) anyway - and so I dont believe in all that "it's no better than disposable" nonsense. Especially if you save them up and do a wash every 2 or 3 days and air dry them rather than tumble dry - much easier now there are quick dry fleecy versions available these days.

So yes I'm going for washables too!

But I may use disposables to start off, and at night for a while - just to make thigns easier for myself and until baby is a bit bigger - the washables I've already bought (variety of types) look quite big.
so I'd recomend you use them at night maybe? And tell everyone you dont need any more!!!

these days we can wash them at 40 degrees so there's no need to boil wash them - which would use a lot of energy. we can get anti-bacterial stuff to pop in the wash (I got from mothercare) anyway - and so I dont believe in all that "it's no better than disposable" nonsense. Especially if you save them up and do a wash every 2 or 3 days and air dry them rather than tumble dry - much easier now there are quick dry fleecy versions available these days.

So yes I'm going for washables too!

But I may use disposables to start off, and at night for a while - just to make thigns easier for myself and until baby is a bit bigger - the washables I've already bought (variety of types) look quite big.
so I'd recomend you use them at night maybe? And tell everyone you dont need any more!!!

i agree with you totally, i might use disposables when im out or at night as ive now got some.

if i remember rightly you wasnt FOR washable nappies at first.
(or am i thinking of someone else)
i havnt got my nappies yet but need to get them soon.

whats the anti-bacterial stuff?

i cant believe there are so many of us that are going to use washable nappies.

when i tell people that we are using washable nappies and they look at me with a blank face,like its wrong.

so now i dont mention it but why should i keep it quiet,im doing something good for the environment and my baby.

people seem to think its wrong.

I find this too & think part of it is they are making an assumption that by us merely making this decision we are passing judgement our their decision not to, so they get defensive. I just discuss only with those who are supportive - it's not worth it with those who don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->