National anthem controversy at Olympics

Daniellexoxox

Mum of 1 & Pregnant!
Reaction score
Seems there's a lot of controvesy over the welsh football players not singing the English/British national anthem at the olympic football match against Brazil....

What do you ladies think of this?

As far as I know it's the British national anthem which includes wales, I can't understand why you'd want to compete for the nation then refuse to sing the national anthem? If I remember right theres an English anthem I think it's the vow to thee my country one. So it's not like they were being asked to sing the English song!!

Hmmm I can see why being married to Welshman he doesn't consider himself British but Welsh primarily...being British is just a kind of tagline to that.

The Welsh anthem actually means something to most Welsh people, theres a darn sight more pride and belief in their anthem than the flipping dirge we have in the form of God save the Queen.

I dotn see that it really matters, some anthems dont have any words and some sportsmen dont sing no matter what the event.

Ahh that puts it into context. I understand they're welsh first and British second and they're very proud to be welsh but at the end of the day Wales is part of Britain, I don't know why they don't want to sing the national anthem? Is it just cos they hate England?? If so I think that's kind of sad I don't hate Scottish/ Irish/ welsh

Noooooooo I don't personally think it's anything to do with welsh people hating the english, I understand that they're part of Team GB, but I think the British anthem represents England. That anthem isn't taught in Scottish/Irish/ Welsh schools. It's the anthem associated with the English rugby/football team which they sing at international games...So maybe it's something to do with that x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->