NCT courses while working

Tacey

Reaction score
Does anyone know if we're entitled to take some time off work for NCT courses? I really want to do them, but all of the courses have at least 2 dates that are in work hours. I've heard so much about how useful they are and how people get a great network of friends through them, but I don't want to get into trouble at work.

Not sure I know the answer to your question, but we're doing ours in the evening so we can both go (7-10pm)- perhaps find evening classes or a weekend course?

Found the below on a government website.
Seems that you can have time off for it if your doctor recommends it, so if you can't do evening or weekend classes (which most NCT ones are) then perhaps ask your doctor to give you a note?

I've included the link below in case it's helpful.

"Time off for antenatal care

All pregnant employees, however long they've been in their jobs, are entitled to reasonable time off work for antenatal care. Any time off must be paid at your normal rate of pay. It is unlawful for your employer to refuse to give you reasonable time off for ante-natal care or to pay you at your normal rate of pay.

Your employer can ask for evidence of antenatal appointments from the second appointment onwards. If asked you should show your employer a medical certificate showing you're pregnant and an appointment card or some other written evidence of your appointment.

Antenatal care may include relaxation or parent craft classes as well as medical examinations, if these are recommended by your doctor. If you can, try to avoid taking time off work when you can reasonably arrange classes or examinations outside working hours."

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parent...ilies/Pregnancyandmaternityrights/DG_10026556

As 10thSept says, that the classes have to be recommended by a GP, which is unlikely really to be honest. My work maternity policy says:
"attendance to antenatal classes must be done in your own time, as unpaid leave or from your holiday entitlement, unless your midwife or GP has specified your attendance, in which case the time off will be paid."

There usually are weekend or evening classes with NCT, so you should be able to find one that suits your hours even if it's not with the closest NCT to you. If you absolutely have to go to a class in working hours though, you should be able to use your holiday or take the time as unpaid if those are options for you. Good luck!

The closest I can get is 4 out of the 6 being out of working hours. As I'm a teacher, I can't even take a couple of days holiday. Hmm. Thanks for the replies. I might just have to miss out on a third of the course :(

The closest I can get is 4 out of the 6 being out of working hours. As I'm a teacher, I can't even take a couple of days holiday. Hmm. Thanks for the replies. I might just have to miss out on a third of the course :(

Hmmmmm. Have you actually spoken to them or just looked online? The reason I ask is that I know the day and time for the breastfeeding session for the ones we're doing is actually TBC, but I didn't know that until they sent me the paperwork. So, you might find that the days and times aren't set in stone and if you speak to them they might be able to find a way around it for you.

The alternative might be to ask your midwife if they can recommend any other independant classes. I know someone in her 3rd tri who has just started classes recommended to her by her midwife, so they're not NCT but they're similar. She's loving it, and has the same experience of meeting a local network of mums. Might be worth looking into?

Ooh, thanks. I'll give that a try firegal. I had only looked online - it's worth a shot! x

Also, does your hospital offer classes?
We've got a one day intensive day at our hospital, which is on a sunday.
Might be worth speaking to your MW?

The hospital does a course but it is 2 afternoons and no partners are allowed. They have about 25 people so it isn't desperately good for getting to know everyone well, which is a shame.

Harsh that they don't allow partners! Mine does, but not sure how many people are allowed.
Perhaps speaking to the NCT people might be the best - they might be able to recommend doing it over 2 courses or something, so you don't miss anything?
I reckon speak to them and they'll help you find a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->