Nearly ready?

Fossey

Mummy to Larissa
Reaction score
So Liss is nearly 4 months and a bit of a chunky monkey, although she is long too so they even out.
She had been on 5 x 8oz bottles 4 hourly, but then started going through the night and skipping a bottle, so is now on 4 x 8oz.
She has started in the mornings to have her bottle around 8 then want another 3-3.5 hours. She does this about twice a day and goes 4 hours once roughly. Her last feed at night she screams when the bottle is finished. I had upped the water to 9 a few times but left the scoops at 8. But only done this a few times.

HV has said to think about rice when she wants 9oz at every meal, but I don't want to even think about giving her 9oz that seems a hell of a lot to me for a little belly.

I want to hold off as long as possible so was thinking about waiting to see if she starts to want feeding 2 hourly or waking in the night. What do you think? I know starting to wean may help her weight a little as obv it fills up more, but am a bit clueless on it. I have all the stuff ready and really want to hold off until the time is right but at the same time don't want her to suffer.
Any advice welcome.
Cheers

Sounds to me like shes ready for solids if she wants to drink 9oz at a time! i started tyler on solids 2 weeks ago and HV actually encouraged me, maybe just start her off on some baby rice/porridge just a few spoons and see how it goes? xx

She isnt wanting the 9oz just yet. I have given her once or twice in the evenings but thats about it. Just starting to want feeds sooner and isnt happy when bottle ends at night

I would really hold off to as close to 6mo as you can. How much does she weigh? A good way to see about how much she should be having is to multiple her weight in pounds by 2.5oz...however many oz that is that's a good estimate for how much in a day. But that can still vary a bit, some babies just eat more, some eat alot less. But here are some other signs to look for starting solids :)

Doubled birth weight

Sitting up well with little to no support

Loss of the tongue thrust reflex

She was 17.8lb at 16 weeks:bodyb: I do really want to hold off as long as its possible but on the flip side don't want her to be hungry. According to the x 2.5 she should be on over 40oz which is a hell of alot ATM she is on 32oz. Any i think sounds too much for a little belly. ATM I am happy for her to stay on the milk but am just wondering if we are heading into the needing more than milk stage. I know she isn't just yet but i think maybe heading that way. But like I said its important to hold off as long as we can.

Only you know when she is ready hon, it is best to hold off as long as possible but if she wants solids then maybe once you feel she is ready, just try her with rice or porridge

We weaned Maley at under three months old as she was wanting more and more milk and more often. We started on baby rice to replace just one bottle (lunchtime) and if she only had a little bit then we would top her up with half her normal bottle. The 'professionals' say to wean from 6 months but it really does depend on the baby....its not like you will give her three meals a day straight away....just a small amount of rice or porridge to see if it sustains her a little longer and fills her up more.

Maley is 6 months now and she has 3-4 8oz bottles as well as three meals a day which is great for her.....however all babies are different.

Good luck....

Just wanted to jump in and say this thread has really helped answer a couple of my questions too - thanks girlies (and sorry to jump into thread!).

Deri is a big baby too so as much as I want to hold him off weaning, he may need to be weaned earlier than later.

I have just been with my HV and she says that although the current guidelines are to try and wait til 6 months, this could be changing. Apparently the current guidelines are in line with the worldwide guidelines (or something to that effect) and obviously in some countries food isn't as readily available so it may change? But that's only a maybe...just thought I'd share but you never know!

Sorry if I'm wrong - just what I was told!

xxx

Niamh was on 9oz at the same time, and is back to 5oz now. It was a growth spurt. They are due one about 3/4 months.

I really dunno what to do, she is weighing more than she should although they say her height evens it out. She is still on the 8oz bottles 4 a day. She has started waking in the night but doesn't cry for food, just lies there awake then sends herself back off.
She is wanting feeds 3 hourly roughly now, and we try entertain her take her mind off it till at least 3.5 hours. She also cries awhen her feed is over sometimes.
I just don't want her to be hungry and suffer. I just dunno what to do for the best. i worry about the obesity thing with starting early but then have been told that solids may help her weight. Arrrggghhh I am so confused. When she has her cries, I go and put stuff it steriliser ready then we calm her down and then I dunno what to do.
HV said to wait until she is on 9oz every feed but that seems a hell of a lot to me.
I'm getting down about it now as I am just confused :cry:

I really think she is doing fine :) How would solids help her weight? Make her gain more? Or stop gaining as fast? Since you said she is on the bigger side I'm guessing the 2nd? If so, I really don't think it's the solids so much because they shouldn't cut out any bottles right away as that should be their main source of nutrition for the first year, but I think it's more when they get mobile..which happens to be around the tme you start solids...6mo that makes them stop growing as fast :) If she is satisfied with her milk I would really stick to that. I don't think 4 bottles a day at 8oz is too much, really.

I dont agree with the obesity thing as maley was weaned early and she is still tiny (still fitd some 0-3 clothes) but thats my opinion.

Its up to you hun but dont feel bad if you do wean early...it works for some babies and it doesnt for others. Its what you feel confortable with. x

I think the obesity thing is more that it leads to it in adults, not as baies :) But it's also a concern for allergies, digestive problems and diabetes too

i've started weaning rhys i told my hv and she winked at me said go for it, she knows i'm not stupid and its a hv job tp go by the book, but that book will be different next yr, rhys only drinks 5oz at a time if that mostly its 3oz he just doesnt like bottles, he's 14lb now and is 4 months, his weight only went up afew ounces so i'm not going to sit and wait for problems to fix iywim, i dont read books or copy what others say or do i go with my insticts i'm more confident this time round as he's my 2nd.

i personally wouldnt hold off for 6 months just for the sake of it it doesnt make you parent of the year if you do lol but if they arent bothered before then thats fine but if they are hungry and niggly in between feeds then a bit extra is fine i dont think any less of mums who wean at 3 months or 6 months i believe in a mums instinct.

you know when they're ready and your ready a friend of mine held off and held off her baby be came lactose intolerant because she drank that much milk routine went ut the window and she was just a grouch all day.

i think slow weaning is the best way whatever age you begin.
everybody has a view on it and everyone is right so go for it when your ready hun, your ding a fab job and seem in tune in what your doing
xx

Well we went for it. Told HV today she said was a good idea. Just to do it slowly, which I was planning. Liss is a changed little girl. Loves the rice, gets so excited and seems so much happier now and goes longer between feeds. Only been on it 3 days but it just seems to have made a big difference in herself. Thanks for all the advice but I just went with how I felt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->