Need help

sarah34

Expecting baby #2
Reaction score
I feel like my baby is getting worse rather than better at sleeping!!!

Lo has never been a good day time sleeper, we never had the whole newborn sleepy stage. He would literally catnap for 10/15 mins at a time all day and be so exhausted that night times he would sleep 8pm - 3/4am and then go back down til 7ish.

I have recently managed to get him into more of a napping schedule:
9-10.30/11ish
12/12.30-2ish
4-5 ish.

It seems to have ruined his night sleeping!!
Starting from last Sunday night he has been waking regularly around 11/12, then again around 2/3. We have been feeding him at these times but he also is waking in between needing settling with his dummy.

A few things have changed recently and I cannot figure out what to do:
1. We moved to size 2 teats as sometimes he seemed to be struggling to get the milk out.
2. We went to a party Saturday night and he was up later than normal.

I think he is having way to much formula as he has added an extra bottle in around midnight, some days he is having 7 x 6/7oz bottles - nearly 50oz in 24 hours! But how do I not feed him if he is hungry??

I haven’t had him weighed for a while so not sure how much he should be having but I’m pretty sure he is having too much.

He is a bit refluxy and can be quite sicky sometimes.

Any advise please? Should we go back to size 1 teats?

I know some babies wake more than others but his sleeping is getting worse by the day and I really am struggling to cope now. I do have a dh who helps with night feeds but the constant resettling is getting too much.

TIA xx

The thing about baby sleep is that we have no control and it changes as their brains develop. There is very little we do or don't do that makes any difference barring offering them safe sleep environments. We can drive ourselves mad planning and twerking, trying this and that.

If you think he is having too much milk, it might be that being overfull is causing him to be refluxy/sicky and also the discomfort of it could be disturbing his sleep. If he takes air in with his milk his tummy might be in pain which would cause him to seek out sucking and feeding as a comfort too. It might be worth looking at paced bottle feeding techniques which allow him more control over whether he truly wants more milk or not (some fast flowing teats fill the mouth with milk so baby has to swallow it whether they want to or not). Do you have a health professional you could talk to about teat size and feeding positions/techniques etc

How old is baby now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"