need idiots guide!

pa2k84

Mummy to Lucas Richard
Reaction score
I am wanting to use reusable nappies on my baby but i can honestly say i have not got the faintest idea and reading through all the posts on here has made me even more confused!! :wacko:

Basically i am assuming that as well as being better for the environment they would also (in the long run) work out cheaper i just have no idea what i need and how much of what i need.

I need someone to say to me (for example) buy 5 those, 10 those, 1 those etc. and hopefully i will be able to work out from there.

Is the whole nappy reusable or do you buy inserts that flush for example? Have looked at the fleece outers and assuming that they stay on all the time and you just change the middle bit (if not sorry for sounding thick but like i said never used and never had to know before)

Ahhh i have so many questions maybe best to get first few out of the way and go from there!

Hiya.

it depends on your LO's age, i think newborn is recommended 20+ as you do a lot of changes but i didn't use cloth that early so can't give you a more realistic idea tbh. You need to decided what you'd like to use, a sized nappy or a birth to potty? Sized are normally newborn, medium large and extra large. BTP are adjustable and are meant to last 7lbs to about 35lbs on average.

All i ever did was start by buying a pack of bambino mios from ebay and started from there. From that nappy i could start to see what people meant by nappies, wraps all in ones etc and worked out what i needed and wanted.

The thing is aswell, different nappies work better on different babies, for instance i love a nappy called Bumgenius for night time use, i've never had a problem with them but that doesn't mean it will be the same story for you. Personally, i like Mios for use round the house, Bumgenius for night time use and Blueberry and Itti Bittis for cute daytime wear.

You can buy disposable paper liners if you so wish, they do help with cleaning up poop but they aren't required. Nappies that require wraps only need the middle bit (the nappy) changing each time, the wraps i only change every 2/3 times unless dirty. Not every nappy requires the waterproof wrap though, from the nappies i mentioned above only the mios and itti require it. The other nappies apart from the itti require the whole nappy to be changed.

I hope that all makes sense! If theres anything else you want to ask fire away!

If I were you I would buy one type of each nappy, pre-loved from a site like www.usednappies.co.uk and decide which you like best when your baby is here, then sell the rest and buy all the type you like.

Good nappies to try are:

Pockets
Bum Genius
Blueberry
Fuzzi Bunz
Itti Bitti

Fitted
Bambino Mio
Little Lamb

All In One
Bum Genius Organic

All In Two
Pop In

Those are some of the main ones, there are loads more. I would say get whatever you can get cheaply! You will never know what you like best 'til you have tried it, and to buy all new ones and not like them would be a terrible waste of money!

Just to help:

Pockets - Waterproof nappy with an insert that fits in a pocket. Dries quickly.
Fitted - Nappy that needs a separate waterproof wrap. Tend to be a bit cheaper.
All In One - No inserts or wrap needed, just like a disposable, but cloth!
All in Two - Waterproof shell, with inner boosters that popper into the shell.

:)

When I was choosing the nappies I use most (mothercare smart nappies), the main thing I took into consideration was how they'll be washed and dried. I don't have a tumble dryer so it was important to buy nappies that would dry quickly and would stay soft after being dried on an airer inside. Bamboo is definitely not a good choice for me - it takes about three days to dry in the flat, and most natural fabrics tend to end up feeling crunchy :(

For some nappy systems, like the smart nappy, you can get a disposable absorbant bit, which is handy if you're going out or staying over somewhere. That bit can just go in the bin like a normal nappy (but it doesn't have the nasty chemicals in it and is smaller than a normal disposable). For most nappies though, the absorbant bit is washable just like the outer bit.

I wash nappies every other day and I'd say I get through about 14-ish. Then I have a few spares for while those are being washed and dried. Plus I have some pretty ones for showing off (those are probably the most essential bit of nappy kit hehe).

If you're going to use cloth nappies, I'd also recommend using washable wipes too. It's no more work because you're already washing the nappies and they're so much nicer to use, especially at home. Weenotions do some lovely ones with fleece on one side and velour on the other. Much better for the sticky stuff and nicer for baby's bum I think! I'd say you'd need about 20 of those to wash every other day, though of course I own more because they're pretty!

Thank you very much for your replies - lots to read over and digest i will be back!

Sorry just another quick point - don't all hate me! - i am not overly keen on the nappy being too bulky which is one of the plus points to disposable (in my opinion). Looking through the pics there are some georgeous looking nappies but some do look very big and i would worry about resticting movement and finding clothes to fit.

Is this the case or do they look 'worse' (not right word but can't think of right one!) than they really are?

Certain nappies are a slimmer fit than others! See if you can find a BumGenius AIO Organic pre-loved to try, I find these a LOT less bulky than others I have tried! I have all BGs for daytime use now. Could you tell from the pics which ones you liked?

The BumGenius does 'look' like what i my mind. Also drawn to the goodmama. More research me thinks good job i got till May!

Agree with kirsten some nappies are bulkier than others, however some people also really pad pocket nappies out which obviously adds to the bulk. I find BG and BB quite trim. The Itti Bitti is probably one of the slimest i own but i do find they need changing quite often.

my favourites for slimness are itti bitti's and mothercare smart nappy but to be honest i love a big fluffy bum!!lol

my favourites for slimness are itti bitti's and mothercare smart nappy but to be honest i love a big fluffy bum!!lol

Don't get me wrong they do look very sweet and loving all the different designs i would just worry about restricting movement and finding clothes to fit over the top!!

You can buy vest extenders and stuff but personally i never bothered. All my nappies fit well with clothes except for the Babinex teddy nappy. On occasion one nappy wouldn't go with a certain pair of jeans but i just used a different nappy in that case.

i have never had any probs with restricted movement tbh! i use vest extenders n our night nappies as i bulk em out soo much !lol but most of her clothes fit over most of her fluff! if she's gonna be wearing trousers or jeans then i will try to put on a slimmer nappy but tbh we've never really had much of an issue ! hth's

sara

xxxxxx

Some really useful advice here thanks :thumbup:

You know, I find that buying vests and trousers a little bigger helps with the bulky butt problem or if baba is a girl, lots of tights (which are stretchy) and skirts!!

I too panicked about restrictions to movement and stopped for a while but I realised it was all in my head and am now back to cloth! Just remember, if the bubs was in anyway restricted they would send you a signal of this in some way! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->