need some help latching on!

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by theresarhuebb, Jun 3, 2011.

1. theresarhuebb

theresarhuebb x mother of 3 x

so this is the 1st time ive been on the breast feeding bit of the site! i dont get on laptop much due to little mans demands lol anyhoo!

this is my 3rd baby called aiden, i have two daughters 5 and 3, my 2nd daughter i breast fed so youd of thought id be experienced as i fed for 13mnths
    thing is she fed every 3-4 hours and was no bother for sleeping!

my lil man how ever is demanding! :) my problem is i cant seem to get him to latch properly! i know how to latch a baby but hes just doesnt seem to latch? anyone else experienced this? and if so how did you acomplish feeding properly!

any help would be most appreciated!
    thanks x

2. CeriB

CeriB Well-Known Member

Whats he doing when latching?

Have you tried pinching your nipple between forefinger and thumb - makes it easier to get it in a little mouth!

3. theresarhuebb

sucking my nipple only ive tried everything, holding his head and putting it in when his mouths wide open but still ends up sucking nipple!

4. Nervous_1

Nervous_1 Well-Known Member

ouchie! :hugs: if it gets really painful you could try using nipple shields til (a) your nipples have healed or (b) your LO's mouth is just a little bit bigger and able to take more in.

5. CeriB

CeriB Well-Known Member

Could just be his mouth is tiny :shrug: Has he been checked for tongue tie or anything?

6. theresarhuebb

havent tried nipple shields yet, nipples are ok since there tuffened from last time i bf, think ill speak to hv when i ring her about it, also i might pop in to bf support group on friday! thanks girls x