need some urgent help with bedtimes

x-li-x

Me & Hubby + 3 :)
Reaction score
we are at our wits end with our son and bedtimes,
he use to go bed great , you would put him straight up, read him story say goodnight leave the room shut the door and not hear a peep, sometimes he would get out then get in 5 mons later but he was as good as gold, but over the last year it has gone from perfect to good to bad to worse to now this!
he constantly gets in and out screaming blue murder neighbours must think were killing him sometimes,. we have tried putting him back in to bed each time he gets out, night lights, sitting by his door, sitting on the stairs, sitting right next to his bed, closing his door, leaving his door open, we are at a loss, he will either get in n out or come downstairs, or bang on his door, his sisters door the walls.

so im asking anyone and everyone, any ideas of what we can try? maybe you have been through the same and found somehting that worked?

we are thinking reward chart maybe but to be honest not sure he would truely understand though worth a try, maybe baby gate on his door and when he learns to stay in bed etc he can be rewarded with it off but if he gets out straight back on again(we thought this as he hates gate on his door) we havetried asking him but he wont really communicate with us just crys, i dont think he is particually scared of anything like the dark etc.

at the moment tonight we tried just standing at the bottom of thestairs constantly saying mummy or daddy is here, be a good boy, go sleep,and eventually after getting out of bed a few times and calling to us and crying he went to sleep. but it took over an hour and wondered if anyone could offer any better ideas.

also i might add he ends up in our bed pretty much everynight times can differ but he will definately be in by 5am

anyway thank you for getting this far, looking forward to any suggestions.

Reward stickers? (along lines of reward chart...)

One of the toddlers in my NCT group (17 months old) gets a "special" sticker for each "good" nappy change at nursery (apparently it sometimes takes 3 fully qualified good nannies to change her nappy!!!). She knows what the stickers are for and asks for them - only gets them if she has been good though!

(she gets a sticker on her top, but I guess that you could try a sticker book or something else?)

QT

no he doesnt usually nap during the day, he will once in a blue moon but it is very rare.

Would he go to sleep if you stayed in the room? That's all I can think of...sounds like a phase really, I'd just do whatever works to get him to sleep as happily as possible. Sure he'll go back to normal soon.

My son had nights like this. We put a stairgate across him bedroom door. He used to throw rages and throw. hit Nd spit. But the gate contained his anger to his room. I would go and check him every 5 mins. I would put him bk in bed everytine I entered the room but no talking or cuddle. he always got there in the end and went off. It took us a couple of really hard nights but got there. Be strong, prob trying it on as he wants to be in your bed. you may need to conquer bedtime routine and cosleeping at once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->