Nervous about internal scan

red_head

Reaction score
Feel like a fraud posting in here, but technically I am in the first trimester!
I’m 5+1 today, have an internal scan booked for the 7th of May when I will be 6+2. I’m nervous for two main reasons - firstly I think it’s too early and if there’s no heartbeat I will be so upset and worried even though it may just be too early? And also because the lady who does the scans is really rough - last time she did one it really hurt to the point where I made a noise it was so painful, and I bled the day after, which really scared me - I didn’t initially realise it was the scan so had a second one which again was painful and caused more bleeding. I don’t know how to ask her to be gentle without offending her (and it’s 100% the same lady as I checked - she’s the only person who does it at our local/main hospital).
This is my 5th pregnancy - 3 losses before 7 weeks and 1 at about 17 weeks. So I’m an anxious mess anyway! Don’t want pain or bleeding or no heartbeat to make me even more nervous! Xx

Tell your ultrasound tech not to apply too much pressure I had spotting with mine too in my first pregnancy so this time I told the tech please don’t put too much pressure I start spotting

I had this fear as well, but at 6+2 you can have an abdominal. Just insist that they try that first. We saw this baby 6+3 through an abdominal no problems. As long as you have a super full bladder, you should be fine.

I’m pretty sure internals are safe, but it always made me nervous to hear stories of women who lost the baby shortly afterwards, or even just those who had bleeding. Most techs can see everything w an abdominal!

I wud just say how ure nervous because the last time u had the internal scan it hurt and u bled. I've always found internal scand uncomfortable but not painful. She needs to be a bit more gentle and not put to much pressure. I'm sorry u had such a scary experience and I really hope this time it's a much better experience.
At 6 weeks and 2 days u may see the HB I saw my DD at just over 6 weeks.
Sorry about ure losses and the one at 17 weeks u poor thing that must of been awful. My heart goes out to you hon.
I've had 3 losses but were all in the first trimester.
Prayers for a very healthy pregnancy and a very healthy and happy 9 months

Thank you both :) I’m worried about asking her to be gentle in case she gets offended and does it worse! Xx

I could understand fearing telling her in case it goes the other way. I would be the same way.
Maybe you could bring it up in a way she could not get offended? Maybe mention you're feeling sore, or sensitive so you'd be grateful if she could go extra careful on you do not aggravate?

I mean, in a perfect world, you shouldn't have to ask that. She should be gentle. And you should be able to tell her straight forward, but I know where your fear is coming from, because I'm 100% like that too, I go immediately, what if I tell her and it's worse??

Hang in there red :hugs:

That’s a good way of phrasing it - thank you! I am such a worrier now it’s ridiculous! Someone once said I was the most laid back person they’d ever met - 6 years ttc and now I’m just an a jittery mess lol!! Xx

Bless you hon. I'm a natural worrier to I do nothing but worry. I'm also one of them that dont like offending people so I totally understand where ure coming from.
U cud say ure feeling a bit tender down there for some reason and ure worried about the probe hurting. That way she cant get offended.

I will do - thank you. I’ve been telling myself that in this situation I just have to put myself first and do whatever I need to to get through! Xx

I agree with the ladies it is likely it will be an internal but say that your feeling a little bit tender there is no need for her to be rough

I had another scan on Thursday morning and was measuring at 6 weeks unfortunately no heartbeat showing yet but measuring right for my dates so back again next week to check viability. It is scary but you just have to try and keep positive and I hope everything goes well xx

Hi red! Congrats!
I had an abdominal this pregnancy at 6+1 and we saw a little blob with a heartbeat. I'd definitely insist on abdominal first.
Also agree with other ladies, just mention about the spotting before and how nervous you are and if she could try to be extra gentle that would be great.

Thank you :) I didn’t think we’d see a heartbeat even with an internal scan so that’s given me hope Mrs mummy.
Gemma I hope it goes well at the next scan xx

I had an abdominal and internal done at 6w+2d with this pregnancy, the abdominal showed the bean and a heartbeat but it took a bit to find it since it's so buried down in the pelvic area. The internal was a little easier and clearer and also caught the heartbeat. But the tech did warn me before we did it that if they didn't find a heartbeat that it's ok, they don't always find it that early especially if you're not as far along as you think. My tech was super gentle but I still spotted a little bright red that night, it was just the wand irritating the cervix a little, it stopped after a couple hours. If the lady is being too rough then I'd just come out and say it and ask her to be a bit more gentle, for all we know she may not realize just how rough she is if no one comes forward and tells her. Now, if you tell her and she continues then I'd go above her head and tell a superior so they can do something about it, because they're uncomfortable enough as it is without someone knowingly making it worse. Good luck, hopefully you're far enough along to see what you need to :)

GL with your scan tomorrow. I have everything crossed for you.

Thank you :) I’m a bit of a nervous wreck at the moment! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"