Nervous second time mum...

Smile181c

Mummy to 3!
Reaction score
I'm not even really sure why I'm posting in here, because I don't think there is nothing I can really do right now to prepare myself for breastfeeding but just need to get it off my chest!

When I had my first LO, breastfeeding didn't go well at all. He had one fab feed as soon as he was born and then I couldn't get him to latch on again after that. After an emergency section, hours of trying to get him latch on, he was screaming in hunger, I was crying in pain & the post natal midwife finally told me I have completely flat nipples and that I needed nipple shields. Well she told me this at approx 2am in the morning and I had no way of getting any. After manhandling me quite a bit, I was pretty much bullied into using formula and just never went back to breast. I was never offered any extra help from an LC or anything, and I had no idea they existed! It upset me so much that I had failed and up until LO was about 3 months old I couldn't even be in the same room as a breastfeeding mum without crying :(

This time around, especially now I'm in my 3rd tri I'm starting to think of the birth etc and I'm starting to get so so nervous about my ability to breastfeed :( My friend keeps telling me to change my view on BF and to think that if it doesn't work, then it doesn't work but I just can't do that. I WANT to breastfeed more than anything! And I'm super scared that I won't be able to do it again. It doesn't help that my SIL just had a baby a couple of weeks ago and BF is going amazingly for them. I'm so jealous. It's like I've already failed in my head but the baby isn't even born yet! Other than nipple shields (which I will be stocking up on!) is there ANYTHING I can do to put myself in the best position to BF this LO?

Any help, advice is really really appreciated x

You can definately prepare by investigating support networks in your area. LLL and NCT have LCs who I'm sure would visit you prenataly to talk about your nipples, whether shields might help, how to use them, and generally give you a chance to grieve and heal after your first experiences.

There might also be support groups in your area. This link might be useful - https://www.worcs-postnatal.co.uk/#!breastfeeding-support/c22o0

Also talk to your midwife about your fears and hopes. She may be able to find out for you what help is available in the hospital/at home straight after the birth so that if you are getting bad quality info/help you can ask to see someone more qualified.

Also, I'd add not to stress.. When I would stress I had a harder time with let down and dd would get frustrated fast, Just be calm and I know how hard that is to say when you have a screaming frustrated lo wanting to eat!! I also found (during my hard time when we had nipple confusion and she refused to latch) that if I pumped a little and bottle fed the first little bit then nursed she did much much better, eventually I was able to wean completely off the bottle and do ebf (the pumping and bottle only lasted about a month and a half but it was extremely frustrating).. We've bf since birth and still going strong at 14 months old!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->