new born baby on the plane

tb42

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if it's safe for the baby to travel by plane at the age of 1-2 months old. ( 2-4 hours flight )

I won't be taking my LO on a plane for ateast the first 6 months. I used to complain so much about people with small babies on the plane because the babies would get so distressed and upset.

I think most airlines say 3 months though.

I think it's safe and you should be able to do it but make sure you have a bottle ready for take off and landing. The drinking should help stop babies ears hurting which means less crying.

I think it would be best to check with your airline but medically I dont think there is any reason why not unless they are premature and then they say no flying until 6 months. I flew with my little girl in March and she was nearly 6 months and it was fine, 4 1/2 hour flight. There was a younger baby than her as well.

My daughter has flown with us since she was 6 weeks old (The flights have been no more than an hour) We've never had any problems with her being distressed on the plane....but I suppose different babies react to things in different ways.

its absolutely fine as long as bubs is healthy full term etc

I never allowed any infants on my flight under the age of 6months, yes due to the air pressure on the eardrums, and it is actually quite painfull for them.

Also depending of the lenght of your trip and if you are flying along the coastal areas, the airpressure is very high in an aircraft flying to the coasts.

I burts both my eardrums on a 2hour flight, and that is why i had to give up flying as my ears had never recovered.

Find out from your airline and the decision is basically yours.

Good luck

:hug:

It really depends on the airline you're planning to use...

BA states: "The youngest age an infant can be to travel is 48 hours old. We also advise you to ensure that the treating doctor agrees to the infant travelling."

Most airlines will require some sort of confirmation from a physician that the baby is fit and well to travel. Like anita said, a bottle at take of and landing will help with air pressure problems :)

Hope this helps x

my friend traveled with her month old baby on a plane, just had her in a sling. She also brought along earplugs for neighboring passengers incase her baby got too loud :rofl: luckily though, her LO slept through the trip and was fine!

I had Carly when she was nearly 4 months old on a 28 hour flight ( returned home from Australia) she was fine through out as well.

My friend is taking her 10 week old to germany. As long as there is no medical reason not to should be ok, definately have a something for sucking on.

I'm booked to go to florida when ruby is 4 months old (on my own with DD1, mad I know) hopefully i'll still be BF so can just stick her on the booby. Also have a cot booked so she's not sitting on me the whole way.

I was adopted and was taken home on a plane at just a few days old (2-3 hour flight). That was 19 years ago though. I think it's just uncomfortable for they're ears and since they're immune systems are still weak you may not feel good about bringing a new baby into such a crowded place, other then that it's fine.

I am off to Sweden in a few weeks when Jack is 2 months old, the airline said anywhere from 2 weeks :)

We took our son to Australia when he was seven weeks old. He handled the journey (around 20 hours) like a champion - slept most of the time, and was calm and interested when awake. He didn't seem to have too much trouble with his ears, luckily. I made sure I was feeding him or that he had a dummy at the times we were taking off and landing, and that seemed to keep him quite happy. He only chucked a wobbly with the last landing, but I suspect a lot of that was just because he was fed up with it by then.

IMO the best you can do is be as organised as possible in order to minimise your own stress, be as prepared as possible for whatever might go wrong (like the Exploding Atomic Nappy of Doom - not what you want to find just as you step onto a flight, believe me! :p ), and then cross your fingers.

Good luck, and bon voyage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"