• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

new child tax credits for 2012!!!!!

Don't you think thought that when people do work fulltime and pay Ni and tax that they should get a little something back, the more you work the more you get screwed over, i didn't agree with them getting rid of the £190 maternity grant, everyone needs a little help every now and then, no offence to people on benefits (we are on them ourselves due to disability) but full-timers contribute to paying other peoples benefits, I think it's only fair we keep the £10 a week we are currently entitled to, we pay more than that a month in tax and NI

I guess the argument for that would be, then they would have to give it to everyone, even those without children because they too contribute into the benefits pot.

I'm probably going to be viewed as a bitch for saying this, but why have a child if you know you can't afford to support them without benefits?

I waited until I was in a financially stable position to have a baby, that meant I had to wait til I was 29. I hated waiting, but imo it was the right thing to do. I couldn't have afforded a baby before then.

Flame me down now!

have to agree with a PP, not everyone's situation is ideal. my LO was a lovely accident, so it wasnt the 'ideal' time for us to have a baby. however, i am lucky because my NHS bursary pays for most of my childcare and when im qualified we will be able to afford it regardless x

I wouldnt count on it!

I was running a cardiology practice before LO-band 7 and still only taking home £35000.

Yeh...but aren't people without children entitled to some working tax credits???

Yeh...but aren't people without children entitled to some working tax credits???

You have to be over 25 and earning less than around seventeen thousand pound between you and your partner I believe :flower:

Yes you are if in a proffession like nursing, medicine, etc. Anything that involves regular training and licensing.

Eg, i pay £70 a year for my nursing license, 140 for union fees, about £400 for courses, etc. All things i NEED. I get a rebate of £78 a year for that.

I agree with many others-if you are in the middle you are in the creek. I get £1200/mth for 24hrs a week and hubby's salary has just gone to a basic of £60000 with potential to earn another £100000 in commission. We are over the moon. We are so fed up with struggling.

I got myself through uni (no parents), had a massive loan but got qualified, thus paying masses of taxes. When hubby got made redundant 6yrs ago we were living off nothing for a month, and hubby did waitering-just to get some cash.

Meanwhile my sister has never worked and is on her 7th pregnancy-has a five bed house paid for by the council, currently selling her second bugaboo, etc, etc.

Thats exactly what i mean...people that get given everything (not in circumstances where things change) people that knowingly get pregnant with guaranteed benefits, and then people tat work for every penny that they have get nothing back, me and my oh both work full time and were entitled to nothing, not saying we need it just think it's unfair when you put so much in (only entitled now as daughter has CF, without that it would be zilch)

I pay a lot in tax and I don't earn a massive amount as I'm a nurse working for the NHS and my job is exhausting with ridiculous hours, makes me throw a strop some months!! Husband though who's on about £70'000 a year gets absolutely battered with tax!

I know he must get taxed an insane amount but £70,000 ! :shock:

That's mental :haha: We live on a very max of £20,000 a year before tax. We'd have to work for 4 years to get the same amount!

Wow! Together you bring in £20'000? I think I live in a bubble, I didn't realise people COULD live on such a small amount. (Not being rude! genuinely surprised) I bring in £23'000 so together we bring in £93'000 BEFORE tax, after....probably a hell of a lot less. Thinking about it though...it does seem a lot. Still renting though, and paying off uni fees (Husband went to Cambridge so his uni fees are close to £30'000) and we do fuck around with money but looking at everything we own it doesnt seem a lot...hmm. I think we need to start saving.

Hi Jessica

I would say thats the norm, me and OH bring in about £28,000 salary between us and thats just gone up the year before last due to OH promotion. Although, we're probably not managing very well, as I said previously upto our eyes in debt :nope:

Hi Jessica

I would say thats the norm, me and OH bring in about £28,000 salary between us and thats just gone up the year before last due to OH promotion. Although, we're probably not managing very well, as I said previously upto our eyes in debt :nope:

sorry. I didnt mean to offend. I think it all depends where you live etc.. Cambridge is hellishly expensive so people get paid more but the cost of living is far greater.

I live in London and it is stupidly expensive to live here but most jobs are still minimum wage :shrug:

Me & DH bring in around £26k between us (this will be going up as DH has just got a new job), but we are in a better position than most in terms of outgoings, mortgage is £200pm & will be paid off in 3 years, we have very little debt (about £400 on interest free with Very), but wouldn't say we struggle but we don't have much left over at the end of the month by the time we've paid council tax, gas, lecy, food & not to mention running of the car.

I do think "high earners" should have tax credits cut/lowered but then my idea of a 'high earner' might be different to someone else, I would say £50k+ is a high earner, but then again someone earning 12k might consider me & DH to be a high earner :shrug:

It's all well & good saying don't have children until you are financially stable blah blah.....for me, when we were TTC & fallen pregnant everything was fine, but in a short space of time the cost of living shot through the roof, diesel went up, energy prices went up etc

Hi jessica, don't worry I'm not offended, a little envious maybe :winkwink: but thats all :hugs:

were on less than 20k a year together and dont struggle at all!
we have a mortgage, all nice things, LO has all 'the best' of everything, we pay £125+ on food shopping every week, all the latest things, OH has two cars and an offroad bike and i eat out most days! we dont have loads left at the end of the month but were more than comfortable
i can never get my head round people that struggle on such high wages! lol
i dont think tax credits should be cut for anyone at all. its just giving you money back that youve earnt imo

i think its disgusting the reason for the cuts is to essentially give the unemployed a payrise!!!

We were on a combined wage of 39k before I went down to three days a week at 30 weeks pregnant. I now get £10 a week ctc and the usual child benefit, based on last year's 39k figure. As pp said, we do not struggle on this at all even though I am on maternity pay and our combined wage is now about 28k. We still save every month even though we have a mortgage and plenty of bills to pay. So taking away £10 a week doesn't seem too harsh. Of course I'd love the free money but we are so blessed and well off compared to some people and some countries. How can I even begin to complain?

My hubby and I work hard for our money, but to be honest, what we get, we have to manage on , but I don't worry about what anyone else is getting as it's none of my business!

Our combined is about 30.5k (before me on maternity) and we get 45 ctc per 4 wks. Xx

were on less than 20k a year together and dont struggle at all!
we have a mortgage, all nice things, LO has all 'the best' of everything, we pay £125+ on food shopping every week, all the latest things, OH has two cars and an offroad bike and i eat out most days! we dont have loads left at the end of the month but were more than comfortable
i can never get my head round people that struggle on such high wages! lol
i dont think tax credits should be cut for anyone at all. its just giving you money back that youve earnt imo

i think its disgusting the reason for the cuts is to essentially give the unemployed a payrise!!!

Completely agree. I think the people that should be given a break are the people struggling on low wages but who work bloody hard!

unless i'm wrong i thought child tax credits were bought in originally to replace the tax breaks given to families with children therefore simplifying the whole tax code system...? we no longer qualify anyway as oh got a payrise and a promotion that takes us over threshold by £200 for this year, but as i had asked for this years award to take into account my smp and drop in wages for the first 6 months we were payed tax credits that we now have to pay back so oh is now working longer hours and has more responsibility and stress and we are actually about £100 a month worse off...! if it was not a good career move financially he would have been better off to turn down the promotion and payrise... least when i go back we will be a bit better off even if i have to pay all childcare while i'm training...!

unless i'm wrong i thought child tax credits were bought in originally to replace the tax breaks given to families with children therefore simplifying the whole tax code system...? we no longer qualify anyway as oh got a payrise and a promotion that takes us over threshold by £200 for this year, but as i had asked for this years award to take into account my smp and drop in wages for the first 6 months we were payed tax credits that we now have to pay back so oh is now working longer hours and has more responsibility and stress and we are actually about £100 a month worse off...! if it was not a good career move financially he would have been better off to turn down the promotion and payrise... least when i go back we will be a bit better off even if i have to pay all childcare while i'm training...!

OMG, one of my friends is training to be a nurse. She had to stop half way through her degree to have her baby (complete surprise) and now wants to finish her degree. She gets NO help whatsoever with child care?! I don't get it!?!! Why are hard working independent intelligent mothers being penalised??

everyone has different opinions on this but in my opinion if u wait till u can afford to ave a child ul b waiting a very long time! tbh i think if ur financially stable i.e both working an comfortable financially within ur own means then thats wer u need to b. me an oh spent a fortune on nites out, new clothes holidays etc etc all stuff that u do wen ur young an child free! an now mayb we cant afford the 5* all inc but who cares prioities change!

I may have been full of rage wen i wrote the original thread! but my opinion is still the same, that £10 a week from ctc was not something we relied on because my daughter was born on 7th sept an iv only just started claiming the money now (so all we get till april is £300) but it was a little something back, an some people think people like us dont deserve it well i say get off ur high horse! sometimes u gotta look after number one, an in my case thats my wee family, thats all that matters to me rite now :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->