New here: Septate Uterus and Potential IVF

Teafor2

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just to introduce myself I am 30, dh is 33, and we have been ttc for 9 cycles now.

I know it’s not long, but I’ve always known I had a septum in my uterus and was under the impression it was small. Well, I recently changed gynaecologists and found out the septum’s actually 2.3 cm long, 8mm wide, and extends nearly down to my cervix.

The doctor at the fertility clinic has recommended surgery to remove it and then jumping to IVF if dh’s sperm sample isn’t stellar.

Are there any ladies here that had a hysteroscopic metroplasty to treat primary infertility rather than recurrent pregnancy losses? And did you try naturally before trying IVF? I’m also not sure why we would need to jump immediately to IVF rather than doing IUI first.

Even though my doctor has recommended the surgery I have done research and I’m not convinced that there is a great benefit in cases of primary infertility. I’m really torn on this decision and not sure what to do. I’d love any insight or any experiences people may have had.

Thanks and good luck to you all on your journey!

I wish I could help more but I want to just say this-I think your doctor is approaching this from the standpoint of 'we know this could cause problems later so let's take care of it now'. Having a septate uterus increases your chances of recurrent miscarriage quite a bit from my understanding because the septum doesn't have enough bloodflow to it to support a pregnancy longterm. And to your doctor, it likely makes sense to remove it to increase your chances of an embryo implanting in the correct spot.

As someone who has had multiple miscarriages over the years, I personally would choose to have the surgery done because losing so many babies has been the hardest thing I've ever gone through. But I also know that surgery isn't necessary for everyone. It comes with alot of risks and it may not help as much as the dr hopes.

I think you need to talk this over with your doctor and see exactly why he feels this is the most beneficial thing for you. Discuss your research with him and see what he thinks about trying other options first. It never hurts to ask for more information.

Thanks for your reply. I am definitely having the surgery done. I was just surprised she jumped to IVF as the immediate next step post surgery.

DH went to have his sperm analysis done today, so here is hoping everything with him is healthy! [-o<

I don't have any advice on the surgery but I know there's a momma on here who had it done and I believe did IVF after. Hopefully she'll see the post and chime in!

As far as IVF they may just be thinking to expedite conception since you've already tried for 9 months. What about labs like FSH and AMH? I get a little skeptical about fertility clinics as IVF is a huge money maker (may depend on what country you're in and healthcare, but U.S. for sure! ) Is a 2nd opinion an option?

Wow I can’t believe I just saw this response!

I’m going in for surgery in a week and they are planning to do a laparoscopic procedure to check out my tubes and stuff as well. No blood work was ordered for now (I guess because my periods are regular). Hubby’s sperm came back mostly okay, but not perfect.

My doctor is now saying that assuming the laparoscopic surgery shows everything else is okay we do a few months ourselves and if nothing happens we go to IVF.

Here’s to hoping!!

Thought I would post an update for anyone that may be going through the same thing and looking for information in the future.

I had my surgery and they were able to completely remove the septum. It extended all the way into the top of my cervix, so it was a complete septum. I had a small spot of endometriosis they also removed during a laparoscopic procedure at the same time. My tubes were clear and they saw no other problems.

The whole process was not as bad as I thought it would be, although I did need to go under general anaesthesia for the laparoscopic portion of it. No swimming or sex for 2 weeks, no heavy lifting or exercise for 3 months. I have some bleeding as well.

We are cleared to try again in 2 months, and they think after this surgery we will be able to go naturally. But if we don’t conceive after 6 months of trying then we will move on to IVF.

If anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation I would say don’t worry! I was really frightened as this was my first surgery, but now it’s only day later and I’m already feeling normalish, just a bit more tired and like I’ve done a hard ab workout. :bodyb: :)

Good luck with your ttc-ing and I keep fingers crossed for you that you will get pregnant naturally

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->