Newly pregnant - Thyroxine and Anti-depressants

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just found out I'm pregnant. I have been on Citalopram for 4 months now, and I have read that it's safe in pregnancy but I will be starting to come off them in the next couple of months. Does anyone have any experience of this?

I also have hypothyroidism and I am currently on 125mcg thyroxine per day. I have to have a blood test in the next couple of weeks anyway, but I know that I will have more to come to monitor it. Can anyone tell me what their experience is?

Thanks

Hi, I am hypothyriod on 125mls prepregnancy, and was alos taking citalopram.

I decided to stop taking my citalopram after y first appointment. Although it is safe in minimal doses there are some increased risks associated with it includint an increased risk of asthma in the LO and as dH already has athsma I decided the risk was high enough. I dont recall the other risks so i would definitly reccomend talking it through with your GP or midwife soon.

With regards your tyhroid, you should see your GP to tell him your pregnant and make sure he remembers your hypothyroid asap as your dose should be increased to start off your pregnancy. I was given an extra 25mgs, at my booking appointment the midwife checked this had been done as its important early on as thyroid deficency in early pregnancy can cause a lot of problems for LO (and you) i cant remember them off hand to be honest.

You will be tested very regularly through your pregnanacy to keep your dose correct, mine was increased three times in total and i ended up on 200mgs per day. It also led me to be aneamic (sp) much later on so thtas something to watch out for.

For info much later on there is a risk your baby will be hypothyroid too, he will be tested on day 5 in a routine heel prick test to see if he is. If you are medicated well throughout pregnancy that should be the only test but if not i think there is another test later on. However just to reaasure you my LO was fine and only had the routine test and does not have hypothyroid.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions that i might be bale to help with just ask and ill try to help,

Thanks for the reply.

I've been told to see the GP to get weaned off the citalopram asap - as I'm only in 1st tri they want me off it before 2nd tri. The pharmacist the GP spoke to said it's the safest but obviously better to not be on it. My GP's appointment is on 13th october for that.

Re: hypothyroidism, I've been referred to the hospital to be monitored. As my hypothyroidism came on immediately after my 1st was born they're concerned it may flare up. I have to go for a blood test next week and will have a blood test every 3-4 weeks as well as consultant appointments.

I also have to do extra midwifery appointments so that they can monitor me more regularly (obviously they don't want me at the hospital ever 2 weeks lol).

Aside from the fact that I can only see the midwife on a monday, and I work mondays, it's all pretty straightforward but I can see me spending a lot of time with medical professionals this pregnancy lol. I also think that a repeat of my natural, gas and air only, midwife led birth being a pipe-dream :nope: re: anemia, I had this last pregnancy so will be onto Iron supplements from my first midwife appointment I think, so hopefully that should be avoided.

Thanks for your help. I didn't know about the test on the baby. I'll ask about that when I speak to the consultant. I have a major (major - 4 generations) family history of thyroid problems, mainly in the female line, so here's hoping that LO takes after hubby or is a boy again, or both lol.

Regarding the thyroxine.

The only info my endocrinologist gave me after my TT was that once confirmed pregnant I'd have to increase my blood test schedules to monthly tests, and that my dose would stay the same up to the 3rd trimester, where it would be increased by 25 mg

glad i could help.

Dont give up on your hopes of a gas/air midwife birth yet. I did but on the day the hospital consultant looked at my notes and ok'd me for the midwife unit and i did get the Midwife led gas and air only birth i had originally wanted so its not impossible. Again it depended on being well medicated throughout so just be religoius with taking your meds and getting your blood tests and hopefully you can still have the birth you want.

Thank you so much kit10grl! :thumbup:

I have so many health 'issues' at the moment I think I just need some positive news lol.

So far I have:

Blood test - 29th September
GP's appointment possible after that if results show I need a review
GP Appointment re: Citalopram - 13th October
Booking in Appointment - 17th October (trying to re-arrange to a diferrent day that week, as Mondays are not good lol)
I also have a referral to the hospital to see the consultant - I have to pick up the 'choose and book' reference from the GP's office tomorrow.

I think I'm going to end up living there. :wacko:

Add into that that I have an out-patients appointment to have a grommet put in on the 13th in the afternoon as well, and then I'll have a check up on that 4 weeks later, I think work may be a bit sick of me. And yesterday was my first day at my new job! :wacko: Going to ask the Dr seriously about whether I can get a letter explaining my 'situation' (hopefully without mentioning the pregnancy) and maybe even the option of signing me off later on down the line if the appointments etc get too much. I'm struggling as it is!

Its not something i like doing at my work but did have to bring up during my pregnancy 'technically' hypothyroidism is classed as a hidden disablilty just like asthma as its a chronic life long condition for which you must be medicated. If you need to get time off from work without revealing your pregnant just tell them it relates to that.

They cant deny you the time off with out discriminating against you under the disability act. It does usually mean a lot of explaining to a workplace about it and i was referred to my works Occupational health so they could have someone on their books 'confirm' my situation. But it does get you out of having to tell them about the pregnancy before you want to.

I totally sympathise about the many visits to medical folks i was the same and ended up having to take in printed letters to my work with my appointments on as they just didnt get why i had so many extra apoointments and they thought i was trying to scam off extra paid antenatal time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->