Next step for baby that is milk/soy intolerant?

HopingFor2v1

Soon to be Mommy of 2
Reaction score
My daughter was mainly breastfed for 6 months but we occasionally gave her formula. It was very difficult to find a formula that worked for her, as all of them seemed to make her reflux and colic worse. We finally tried Nutramigen and it worked great! Just recently, I started mixing her bottles with half Nutramigen and half soy formula and she has gone back to being fussy with her bottles and being very irratable and whiny. I'm now thinking that she has issues digesting both milk and soy based formulas.

With her being almost 10 months old, I'm thinking of what to do next. I'm very nervous to try her on cows milk when she turns 1, and now realizing her fussiness with soy, I'm scared to give her soy milk.

What are my other options? Have any of you had a LO with milk and soy sensitivities? What did you do when they turned 1?

I am right there with you?
We found out about 7 months that Alex is lactose intolerant and soy intolerant.
The good thing is that most children grow out of an intolerance.

We have been told to do the following.
Every three months slowly introduce CM back into his diet, so a yogurt and see what happens!
Otherwise keep him on the formulas/ oat milk and lacto free milks.

My lo cant have cows milk or soya as gives her an upset tummy. The dietician told us to give her rice milk and shes fine on that

Though dietician told us to keep some lactoose in her diet so lo can get used to it. They also like to find out if its lactose intollerence of a milk protein allergy. They asked my friend who took her baby in to still give yogharts etc with cows milk in. My lo had already tried but she can manage some cheese. There is a milk called lacto free as well

Theres a schedule for reintroduction that my friend told me about the other day for dairy intolerance. You start by giving things with trace amounts in for a few weeks eg biscuits, then you try butter for a few weeks, then cheese, then yoghurts then milk. Worth trying skimmed milk before semi then full fat due to the fat content. Obviously if LO reacts to something then you dont advance further you drop back down a level and stay there.

Most kids with cmpi are intolerant to soy too, as the proteins are very similar. Holly was on Nutramigen AA formula til she was 16 months old, when she finally outgrew it. I started reintroduction to dairy at 1 year old, and tried her once a month with very small amounts. I didn't make any changes to her milk until I was 100% satisfied that she'd outgrown the intolerance. Once I was satisfied, I started to mix cows milk in to the formula gradually until she was on 100% cows milk.

I was told by our hospital based dietician to NOT give rice milk as a main drink. It contains small traces of arsenic, that can be harmful to LOs when you give them lots of it. They shouldn't have it as a main drink until age 4. She said other milk alternatives are good to give as a main drink from age 2, and it was best to keep her on formula til the intolerance went. It baffles me that the advice given is so different!

That's interesting, are dietician said rice milk is best and once they are two they can have oat milk. Now Im worried, its the only one we can give my lo without upset tummy. Rice milk was in all the advice leaflets to

How odd - it was in all our leaflets not to give it! If you google rice milk warning, a ton of articles come up saying the same thing. I used to give Holly Kara coconut milk as well, and that is absolutely safe and pretty much allergen free. It's found in most supermarkets too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1186722/Rice-milk-arsenic-contamination-prompts-food-watchdog-warning-children-stop-drinking-it.html

This article states that the advice came from the food standards agency. I'm sorry, I don't want to worry you, just thought I ought to pass on what we'd been told. It does also say it won't have caused any harm if your LO has had it, just to find alternative milks. x x

Hi there! Hope you and Riley are doing well :)

I've been thinking about this as well, since Charlotte has digestive issues. We've been looking into almond milk. Apparently it has tons of fat and calcium and is very tasty. Might be worth a try.

Thanks will see if we can get coconut milk then

We kept Nathan on Neocate until he was 2, by then he seemed ok with milk but he still doesn't like it much. After tons of research the best I found as an alternative is Oat milk. Safer than the others for various reasons.

How odd - it was in all our leaflets not to give it! If you google rice milk warning, a ton of articles come up saying the same thing. I used to give Holly Kara coconut milk as well, and that is absolutely safe and pretty much allergen free. It's found in most supermarkets too.

I've also heard that you shouldn't give rice milk to children under 5.

My son has milk allergy so drinks coconut milk, a bit of soya since Wednesday as the doctor told me the alpro junior has all the nutrients they need in it and he did have a bit of almond milk too x

Callum has CMPI and a soy allergy and while I'll still be breastfeeding after he turns one I will be giving him coconut milk once a day as well. I still have to talk to his pediatrician about it at his 9 month appointment.

Callum has CMPI and a soy allergy and while I'll still be breastfeeding after he turns one I will be giving him coconut milk once a day as well. I still have to talk to his pediatrician about it at his 9 month appointment.

This is what I do, I'm still breastfeeding and offer him coconut milk plus he has it with his cereal too x

Hi there! Hope you and Riley are doing well :)

I've been thinking about this as well, since Charlotte has digestive issues. We've been looking into almond milk. Apparently it has tons of fat and calcium and is very tasty. Might be worth a try.

Be careful with the almond milk. The true almond milks with good levels of protein, fats and natural calcium are very pricey a lot of almond milks that are cheaper, such as almond breeze are very watery and nutritionally there isn't much to them at all (and in the UK same goes for alpro etc) xx

im glad my LO has breast milk and I haven't given her much rice milk (only got advice a month ago) I just went out and got lactofree milk at Tesco apparently that's fine for babies and toddlers over 12 months so will see how we go. They didn't have coconut milk. I hate the fact that advice differs from area to area. I saw the dietician at the hospital with LO to. She said defenetly no oat milk till 2. The dietician who my sister knows recommended goats milk but our dietician said defenetly not. Soya milk is meant to be fine but upset my LOs tummy ahhhh!!! lol I am so glad I came on this thread. As the dietician said about rice milk I assumed she had latest advice as was her speciality so hadent looked it up stupid me, sorry if I hijacked thread, I hope you find a good replacement if milk doesent suit your lo

Just to say lactofree milk won't be any good if it's milk proteins your LO is intolerant to - lactose is something completely different. I agree that it's worrying, that advice given by NHS dieticians varies so much x x

There's a lot of myths around the suitability of goat's milk for those with intolerances or allergies to cows' milk and sadly some medical professionals buy into these. Research has shown that the majority of those who are allergic to the protein in cows' milk or intolerant to the lactose will have the same problem with goats' milk and in some cases the reaction to goats' milk can be even more severe xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->