• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nipple sheilds

MummyKP

Reaction score
I'm popping over from 3rd tri as I think this is the best place to ask, hope you ladies don't mind.

I'm planning on breastfeeding, and have recently been buying nipple cream & breast pads etc. I have seen the nipple sheilds in Boots and was wandering if any of you have used these? A friend was saying she used them when her nipples were really sore, but she was lucky that he didn't rely on them so carried on perfectly well with her nipple once she stopped using them. Are they helpful to have? I don't know whether to buy some in case. Or would you steer clear of them and feed through the pain?

Do you have flat or inverted nipples? I have flat nipples and thought they would help my son latch, but they never worked, so they were a waste of money. I would recommend that you talk with a lactation consultant, because you may not even need them if your baby has a good latch.

I have flat nipples and found it useful in the beginning. Just make sure you have the right size. When I first started BFing, I'd use the shield bc she could latch more easily onto it. After a couple of days, when we had the hang of it, I'd take the shield off while she was nursing and voila! She continued latching onto my nipple without the shield. The shield is useful for days when you're really sore and need a break. My LO is 11 weeks and I haven't used the shield since maybe 6-7 weeks but it was still worth it.

I needed a shield in the beginning, when my milk came in and my boobs got all swollen it really flattened my nipples out. Plus my son had a really lazy latch, and the shield helped a lot in getting a decent latch without killing my nipples even further.

If you do get some keep the packaging so you could return them if you don't need them. If you do need them you'll be glad to have them right then.

I tried them but because I didn't know they came in different sizes and also didn't know how to use them correctly (you don't just place them over your nipple) they actually made it harder for LO to latch. Months later I learnt that you need the right size (although I don't know how you decide!) and if you put them on correctly they create suction that pulls your nipple out and keeps the shield attached to your breast.

Reasons for use:
Very flat or inverted nipples
Protect damaged nipples (doesn't always work)

Reasons against:
Can reduce milk supply
Baby can develop preference and reject uncovered nipple

I tried a nipple shield in hospital. I don't think I had the right size & it made feeding MUCH more painful :(

Today I sent hubby out for a nipple shell. It looks ridiculous, but if fits in my bra, collects spare milk (as opposed to saturating breast pads which gave me thrush with dd), pulls my nipple out so enforcement doesn't let them get too flat and it protects my nipple from rubbing on any clothes whilst keeping a supply of fresh air so the little cracks I got early on can heal.

Way better than the shields IMO! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->