Nipple Shields / Covers - do they work?

Squiggy

Rainbow Baby
Reaction score
I purchased a set of these nipple shields in the hopes they may actually help ease the soreness of breastfeeding, but I also wonder if they are actually effective. Has anyone tried these? Do they work? Do they help?

Thanks much!!:hugs:

I got a set of the avent ones today that look a lot like that.
I cant say obviously what they will be like in the long run but I used them twice today because I was getting no colostrum and my nipples where really sore from pretty much 24 hour latching to incourage it and they where great.
I managed to get a long comfortable enough latch to get the colostrum going on both sides and then had a 40 mins feed on each side with hardly any pain.
I had some nipple cream on as well so while using these my nipples whre getting a rest and eased off enough to be about to give a feed a bit later without the shields.

I used those shields for the first thirteen days of bf because my nipple kept going flat. They worked perfectly and I love them. Once my nipples were formed I started feeding without them and had no problem weaning. The size I bought were 20mm, it's really important to get the right size or they will continue to hurt

Nipple shields saved my breastfeeding and stopped me quitting! I was in so much pain from badly grazed nipples. I used them for a few weeks which gave them time to heal.

Nipple sheilds and nipple cream like lanolin will def help!

Nipple shields are a life saver! They helped LO latch and eventually I didn't need them! Avent ones were the best :)

I didn't actually buy the Medela ones (that was just a quick link), I have a pair from Avent and I'm not sure which size. I'm glad to hear these work though, they seem like more of a gimmick than anything and I've been worried about how effective they'll actually be.

Thanks for the replies!

You may be one of the lucky ones and not have any soreness! But defo worth a shot if you do get sore and/or LO has trouble latching :)

They work great as far as transfering milk without complete contact. I am a bit bitter about them though because my daughter never weaned off of them and it was a source of a ton of stress for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->