No Gym, anyone else :(:(:(:(:(

DEEDEE2011

Reaction score
So went to docs on Monday, i'm seven weeks gone :) but when i asked doctor about continuing at Gym so told me no and that i should just be walking and swiming. Really thought i'd be able to keep it up :(. Any one else had this happen????????????????????????????

as long as your not pushing yourself at the gym or lifting heavy weights theres no reason why you cant continue if its something you have been doing regularly, most doctors will cover their bums and say no though lol,

as long as your not pushing yourself at the gym or lifting heavy weights theres no reason why you cant continue if its something you have been doing regularly, most doctors will cover their bums and say no though lol,

There is alot of weights, but it all resistance weight training ( Curves ladies gym) thought i'd be allowed but she said its too much. Long walks it is.

id talk to the instructor at the gym and then make up your mind hun.
i jogged when i was pregnant with ds1 and did aqua natal and with ds2 well i was chasing a toddler lol

So went to docs on Monday, i'm seven weeks gone :) but when i asked doctor about continuing at Gym so told me no and that i should just be walking and swiming. Really thought i'd be able to keep it up :(. Any one else had this happen????????????????????????????

Ive not been gym since i got my bfp i dont av the energy to go

Sound like your doctor is just old school. Lifting weight is perfectly safe during pregnancy. Esp in a controled environment like a Curves gym it's probally even better since you have an intructor there during every workout.

As long as you have no problems, with the pregnancy you should be fine. I weight train 4x's a week and I use moderate weight (pre-pregnancy I lifted pretty heavy) plus I'm getting my cardio in 4x per week as well. Mix of walking on incline, elliptical, and stair mill.

Thanks everyone i'm sseing different doctor in couple of weeks so might ask them really missing it but upside is the dog has never been happier with all the walks. :)

I've been told that because of a small haemotoma (sp?) I have to hold off at the gym until they can check it's gone down at my 12 week scan - driving me insane!!

I agree, everything I've read says you can do most things gym wise that you did before your bfp, just drop down the weight and do more rep's so you're not over doing it and don't do anything that calls for you to hold your breath and restrict blood flow.

Definitely get a second opinion :)

What the ladies are saying is true, if your body is used to a certain level of training, youre fine to carry on but just keep listening to your body and dont overdo it. I'm a fitness instructor and have helped a few preggers ladies out with exercises, keeping it up is the best thing you can do xx

I was told no lifting...but I was spotting, so maybe that's why? I go to physical therapy though, and I'm doing other very light exercises, but no lifting.

i was told the same by my doc and its killing me, i usually go about 8 hours a week. however looked up the statistics on increased risk from exercise in the first 12 weeks and they are pretty bad, only 10% increase for up to 1.5 hours per week but 200% increased risk with over 7 hours a week (this does not include walking or swimming). im just continuing with long walks and swimming. just know that if anything did go wrong i do not want to be wondering if i did anything wrong.
on the other hand i know plenty of ppl that continued exercising and had completely healthy pregnancies and it can make u feel awful not going when ur used to it. xxx

I was told at the start as a precaution to stop my 6 days a week gym habit. It was really hard at first but who am I to go against what the doc said so Ive not been to the gym for over 2 months now.. Ive walked instead, taken my doggies for extra walks and Id like to start swimming as well.

I think for most people its ok to continue doing what your doing as long as you take it down a notch. But I had some issues to start with which I guess are the reason I was adviced against my usual exercise routine.

i was told the same by my doc and its killing me, i usually go about 8 hours a week. however looked up the statistics on increased risk from exercise in the first 12 weeks and they are pretty bad, only 10% increase for up to 1.5 hours per week but 200% increased risk with over 7 hours a week (this does not include walking or swimming). im just continuing with long walks and swimming. just know that if anything did go wrong i do not want to be wondering if i did anything wrong.
on the other hand i know plenty of ppl that continued exercising and had completely healthy pregnancies and it can make u feel awful not going when ur used to it. xxx

I know how u feel, i'm afraid to go incase something happens and then i'll blame myself. Walks it is then :thumbup:

I continued to go when pregnant with DS and just made sure to listen to my body, breathe well, drink lots of water and not increase my weights at all...i continued at the level I was at before finding out I was pregnant and on days I felt tired, I usually lowered my weights or skipped it altogether! Do what you feel is right for you...walking and swimming are great and you will get plenty of weightlifting in once babe is born!! My biceps are bigger than they've ever been lol!! Heavy little bugger!!

I'm hoping to keep up some sort of phys throughout my pregnancy if I can. I went to Zumba this morning and still hoping to go to the gym (even if its just a session on the cross trainer!) I'd also like to keep up with my circuit training too but I'm not comfortable doing it at the moment until I am ready to tell the instructors that I'm pregnant. Its an awkward one coz its hubbis workmates as he works in the gym, so trying to keep it quiet at the mo xx

I used to do 3 hrs of Zumba a week and was told to stop once I fell pregnant :cry::cry: I'm REALLY missing it.

Both my Zumba instructor & GP said your joints soften whilst preg so high impact sports are out and also overheating is a real danger (hence why you're told not to go in jacuzzis or have v hot baths) ... the amniotic sac works hard to keep the baby at optimum temp.

Swimming & Walking are sooo boring. :dohh: As much as I'm missing it, I def wouldn't go against Dr advice as it's really just not worth the risk. If God forbid anything happened I'd never forgive myself. xx

I haven't had much for exercise either. My Dr. said I could still do the same as I was doing before, but I'm scared that I could overdue it. I use to exercise A LOT. In a very unhealthy way. Now I just take it easy. I eat good for the most part, I walk a lot, and I ride my bike a couple times a week and also light weights a couple times a week. I don't worry too much about it. I guess I'll get more in to it in the 2nd tri when I know the babe is OK :)

I used to do 3 hrs of Zumba a week and was told to stop once I fell pregnant :cry::cry: I'm REALLY missing it.

Both my Zumba instructor & GP said your joints soften whilst preg so high impact sports are out and also overheating is a real danger (hence why you're told not to go in jacuzzis or have v hot baths) ... the amniotic sac works hard to keep the baby at optimum temp.

Swimming & Walking are sooo boring. :dohh: As much as I'm missing it, I def wouldn't go against Dr advice as it's really just not worth the risk. If God forbid anything happened I'd never forgive myself. xx

I'm a zumba instructor and still do it 3 times a week, have to go easy on the waist stuff and chest pumping etc but it will be the last thing i give up, i love it!

Honestly, that's odd that your doc said that, unless you have a very specific risk. I have had 2 previous m/c's this year before this pregnancy and my doc STILL said I am fine to continue exercise, even running.
For sure get a second opinion. I mean, obviously you shouldn't be dead-lifting or training for a marathon, but how silly is it to think you can't continue to strengthen your body?

I've been doing alot of research on this.... obviously I'm no expert, but I wanted real answers, not just a doc CYA-ing. I started a blog to document stuff that I find https://preggopower.blogspot.com/
and if you google "Cassandra Forsythe" and go to her old blog, you'll find alot of good stuff too.

I used to be manager of a curves gym and we had pregnant women in all the time, sometimes up until 7 months preggers, if you were doing it before it should be fine, speak to a midwife she'll probs say it's fine =) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->