"No normal forms" Anyone know what this means??

Springflower

Reaction score
My DH and I have been trying for over a year. I've had the blood tests, results were fine. My DH has had a few sperm tests. The results are generally ok but he has "no normal forms". This doesn't sound good to me! Does anyone know what this actually means and can we do anything to improve the "forms"?

All help greatfully received!!

Sorry I don't have any answers. I just wanted you to know your not on your own. My DH has problems with his results. I don't understand them either. My be give your GP a ring and ask them to clarify it for you xx

Hi hun

When they do a sperm analysis it is not just count they are looking for. They also look for motility (how well they move) and morphology (how they are formed). It is very possible to have a really high count but low morphology and motility basically means there are loads of them but they are not formed properly and/or don't move.

A normally formed sperm has a large head and long tail. Some will have one missing or maybe even 2 heads/tails. These are not ideal for conceiving.

The first thing I would say is that there are loads of things which can affect results. Sperm take about 3 months to form so if oh has been ill or if he drink/smokes a lot that can seriously change the quality and quantity. I would get him on a good diet, maybe even some vitamins and off the booze and fags and get another test in a few months (I know the wait is a killer). 1 test is not reallt a true test of whether there is a problem.

Also in our experience, gp's are not the best at interpreting results, they do just tend to look at overall count. We were told everything was fine, as the count was good but when we investigated further into the results there were massive issues with morphology. If you can afford it, I would look into private testing. We paid about £100 for sperm analysis but the consultant was so much better than the gp. Some places do a his and hers test so you can get checked out too.

Sorry for the essay!! In short, no normal forms is not good for conceiving naturally but I would def get another test done to make sure as this could just be a blip.

Lots of luck
Kath
xx

Kath thanks, your reply was really helpful!

Since the results DH has stopped smoking, is drinking less (that one was very hard to implement!) and is taking lots of vitamins which I think are supposed to help. He is going to do another test at the end of April and I'm really hoping that things will have improved!

DH doesn't seem worried at it all! Which I don't understand as I was in the same room as him when they told us!

I may well investigate going private, our experience with the NHS so far hasn't been great so this is something I have been considering.

Congratulations on your bump btw!! You must be very excited!! xxx

Aclio - Yuor piccy reminds me of my honeymoon! - Lovely memories!

I think the problem with doing SA via your GP is not normally the test itself but the way the GP interprets it. Most SA are done in hospital/clinic even if the sample was produced/brought to the GP practice. In my area, it is done on the NHS at the same place than if you have it privately.

I would do is ask for the printout and come back here, most girls here are much better at telling what it means than the average GP!

I think the problem with doing SA via your GP is not normally the test itself but the way the GP interprets it. Most SA are done in hospital/clinic even if the sample was produced/brought to the GP practice. In my area, it is done on the NHS at the same place than if you have it privately.

I would do is ask for the printout and come back here, most girls here are much better at telling what it means than the average GP!

Completely agree. Also, we found the lab very blase too. Dh was not told how many days of abstinance he needed, how soon to get the sample there, whereas in the private clinic, they were much more specific. If a sampleis sat around too long, the little fellas are gonna die!! Make sure when you go for the 2nd test, they tell you exactly what to do.

My dh had the same reaction, I think it is male pride/denial. So many people assume infertility is down to the woman. Other than my family, no-one knows we've had IVF, dh is refusing to tell anyone.

xx

Hmm I think I will try to get the print out of the previous tests so I can see if things have improved after his next one.

I think I need to broach going private with DH, am worried about his reaction though as I know he thinks the whole thing is ridiculous and if I just RELAX nature will take it's course (!!)

I've tried to get a HSG appointment for this month, if I don't manage that, then I'm looking into going private I may as well get that one done through it too!

Sorry to bust in but having similar situation myself with OH seeming unworried by a low morphology (normals forms) and low motility. The GP was rubbish and basically told him it was normal but when I looked at the details (not just the sperm count) I was horrified at how low the percentages were. Now starting the vitimins and attempting to convince him to cut down on caffine and booze - tricky even thought I've been trying to do this for months! Good luck folks!

My man is also not keen on giving up alcohol totally. He has cut down a bit, but won't go tee-total. It does annoy me at time (easy for me, I don't drink at all, don't even like the taste of alcohol), but I accept it. In any case, I very much doubt that this is the reason for his not so good SA. If all the men who drink what he drinks (that would be 90% of the English population!) had the same SA results, the British population would soon be instinct! I have read that alcohol is a problem for semen if excessive, moderate consumption won't affect it.

He has been on the fertilityAid for men for 2 months now, will do his second SA next month, we'll see if it helps. In his case, it is the morphology that is the problem.

You're right FBbaby, there would be no British babies! It would be great to hear how the vits work for you guys in your second SA. We have our first NHS clinic appointment in June, seems like ages away so planning lots of trying, lots of vitimins and lots of finger crossing!

My man is also not keen on giving up alcohol totally. He has cut down a bit, but won't go tee-total. It does annoy me at time (easy for me, I don't drink at all, don't even like the taste of alcohol), but I accept it. In any case, I very much doubt that this is the reason for his not so good SA. If all the men who drink what he drinks (that would be 90% of the English population!) had the same SA results, the British population would soon be instinct! I have read that alcohol is a problem for semen if excessive, moderate consumption won't affect it.

He has been on the fertilityAid for men for 2 months now, will do his second SA next month, we'll see if it helps. In his case, it is the morphology that is the problem.

I do think you are right, however in our experience high consumption, even a one off, does have a drastic effect. Dh was off drink pretty much totally and SA results were going up. He had weekend away (yes it was boozy!) and the next result was 0 normal morph. Bearing in mind it then can take up to 3 months for them to re-form, alcohol can do some serious damage.

xx

Sorry to bust in but having similar situation myself with OH seeming unworried by a low morphology (normals forms) and low motility. The GP was rubbish and basically told him it was normal but when I looked at the details (not just the sperm count) I was horrified at how low the percentages were. Now starting the vitimins and attempting to convince him to cut down on caffine and booze - tricky even thought I've been trying to do this for months! Good luck folks!

I feel your pain! - It drives me nuts, OH does not appear to be bothered at all:growlmad:

Does anyone else's OH have an appointment with a urologist? OH now has one and we're wondering what happens. When I say we I mean I!

sorry not much help on the urologist front, but wanted to let you all guys know that DH's 1st sample came back with 0% morphology, 6months later we were on 5%! so it is not over yet! also my DH has already fathered 2!!!!!

sorry not much help on the urologist front, but wanted to let you all guys know that DH's 1st sample came back with 0% morphology, 6months later we were on 5%! so it is not over yet! also my DH has already fathered 2!!!!!

Bless you that has made me feel a bit better!!:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->