No time for Prenatal classes :(

MolGold

Mom to Lil Bunny
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Between work ( I am even working weekends before I leave for ML) and managing a home, I have had no time left for prenatal classes.

Oh we have read the books, and the birth stories. DH and I try to squeeze in some prenatal coaching videos on the internet on the weekend. And taking care of my 5 month old niece for a few weeks was a great eye opener! But I still feel left out and guilty that I can not find the time for an actual, face-to-face class. By the time I quit work I presume I'll be way to huge to go to one.

What am I missing? Is it really that indispensable for a first time mom?

Im a first time mom, and have not had time for Prenatal classes until today. I went out on medical leave yesterday so will look into it today...but im sure I wont make it to all the classes before baby is here. I'm not to worried about it.

I didn't take any classes or read any books. I was shown how to change and bathe my daughter. It took me a while to get comfortable giving her a bath but I honestly don't believe a class would have changed that.

It's good if you get a chance but there aren't many opportunities where I am and I feel things went okay regardless.

I took them when I was pregnant with my daughter. Honestly, I thought they were a waste of time. I learn best hands on, so actually doing things was better for me than listening to someone talk about it.

Thank you for your responses ladies, you do make me feel better :)

I went to them when I was pregnant with DS. I found them useful as it gave me a chance to ask questions. But you don't need to go to them, you can find out all you need online and you can make a list of any questions you have and take it to your regular appointments.

The classes I took covered what happens during a normal birth (different stages, when to call hospital etc)
what you could have if you need intervention (ventouse, forceps, pain relief etc)
Basic parenting skills (feeding, bathing, changing)
A tour of the labour ward, recovery ward and the birth centre.

I haven't had time either. The most we are doing is a hospital tour and possibly an infant CPR class, but that's it. I figure as long as women have been giving birth without birth classes, I should be fine, right? I am nervous about not being able to go to them, but I trust my Dr and am comfortable with her, so I know I can ask her whatever I need to.

I can't get anything other than online classes because all of the ones offered at our hospital are in Chinese. There was a suggestion to check out the Beijing branch of the hosptial, but that is almost 2 hours away. I think we might look at a few things but that will be it. And my normal OB is likely going to be on vacation when my baby is born...

I took a hospital tour (well 2) just to decide which hospital we would choose. I also want to take a CPR class, but that's as much as I think I will get in before baby arrives.

We didn't go to any. We'll find out in a few weeks if I regret it or not, but so far, not. I feel about as ready as I'll ever be for baby. The internet has a ton of information, plus I just ask my Dr if I have any questions about the birth process itself and we'll have parents coming to stay with us for the first week or two (mine first, then his, not all at once!), so the mothers will be able to help answer questions about actual baby care.

I know some people find them useful, but I've read enough posts from people who felt they were a waste of time that I didn't bother signing up.

:hugs: I went to birthing classes with my first child and, honestly, I didn't use ANY of what I learned when I was actually in labor! It was a fun time and it was nice meeting other expecting moms (and seeing DH volunteer as the "laboring woman" in front of the class was a blast -- he was on a chair with his feet in the air pretending to be pushing:haha:), but when actual labor happened all the breathing techniques and what have you that they taught went right out the window!

So, yeah. I did them once, they were fun, but I didn't end up using the information at all. IMO, they definitely aren't necessary, but a nice addition if a woman's got the time and inclination. You will do ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANTLY without the classes, I promise!

I'm not planning on taking any this time around as I didn't find them particularly useful last time, they were mainly just about pain relief and practical things about looking after the baby I had read about and knew about from looking after other babies anyway.

You will be fine, even if you took the class there will be things that come up that you have no idea how deal with at first but you will do on instinct.

I'm doing a home study course from hypnobabies. I am really enjoying it and I feel like it will help prepare me to manage any discomfort. I took a few bradley classes when pregnant with DS because my midwife did them, but I didn't find that helpful at all.

You will be just fine hun. I had my baby at 27+4 and my first class was booked for the following week :eek: In hindsight I guess it was find as I was bombared with information I didnt need. :p

The most valuable thing for me was making friends. We are lucky we are all similar people and still meet up with the kids 3 1/2 years on! The classes themselves weren't overly worth it. I'm sure you will be fine! X

I really think it's okay. As long as you trust your care providers and can have a go with the flow type attitude. Just make sure you ask questions as things are happening if you do have them.

I didn't do the classes and the ONLY two things they may have tought me that I really wish I knew going in is:

1 - push like you are going poo (I spend the first 30 min of my 45 min pushing time pushing wrong!)
2 - if you get an eppidurral, when they are putting it in your back it sends little shock feelings down your spine and legs - this is normal and nothing to worry about at all. (but very scarry if you are not expecting it!)

I didn't do any birth classes with Delilah. The nurses will help your out if you need any. We winged it and we are doing the same with this one.

I also didn't have time with my first. My husband and I did do this free class online and found it marginally useful: https://www.babycenter.com/childbirth-class

In my hospital they had a bathing class and a breastfeeding class after delivery. My one recommendation, if you plan to breastfeed, would be to read up on breastfeeding and watch YouTube videos describing how to properly latch and what is normal discomfort vs problem pain. Also ask around for a breastfeeding support person or group that you can turn to if needed. That was the one aspect I didn't feel prepared for and I don't think a prenatal class would have helped.

I'm 30 weeks right now and I'm taking a class in a week. I've been reading some books, but to be honest, I'm a little overwhelmed and I think it's different if someone can actually show me how to latch the baby on or how to swaddle or change a diaper, etc. and maybe I can try it myself while they supervise. I've also seen some youtube videos. The babies are so tiny and fragile looking, I keep thinking I'll be afraid to pick mine up...:) As far as the child birth itself, it's good to know what to expect and be reassured, but from what I hear, a lot of the breathing techniques go out the window in reality. My yoga instructor also showed me a couple exercises to do while in between contractions that could be helpful. I'm still nervous because I'm a first time mom and don't have any family close by to help me out, but I trust it's going to be ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->