Non religious persons using a church (or similar) for a wedding/christening.

Personally for me i'm not getting married in a church because i'm not religious.......however if someone wants to get married in a church being non-religious thats up to them i know lots of people who have married in a church because its 'nicer' than a registry office.
but for me it doesn sit right.
i also really dont get the point of christening (or any other religious cermony) a baby if the parents arent religious or intend not to follow through on that religion.

I think, from conversations I've had with relevant people, that the church are openly advertising in this way for two key reasons: they need the extra funds, and they hope it will draw more people to religion. My vicar, for one, puts prospective married couples through their paces, and does not make it a walk in the park to just choose to get married in a church if you are a non-believer.

I think the main point of the hypocrisy argument is being untrue to yourself. Why make vows to a God you dont believe in on your wedding day?

^^^ being true or untrue to yourself wasn't the question though, it was is it getting married in a church as a non religious person disrespectful? Whether that person is being true or not to the self isn't really irrelevant. And it doesn't surprise that they want non believers to go in a hope that they may carry on going and turn to a religion I did guess this may be a reason and intention they had in a previous post and to raise money to, but either way if they found it disrespectful to them or those using the church then they wouldn't do it, of course people will all have different views but it really can't be abusing the church if the people that are there most of the time are agreeing to allow this happen.

Who's to say how certain preists as such feel i think that probably the majority find it disrespectful but are still in hope that they will turn more people into religion and failing that have raised a little money to help with their cause.

When someone gets married in a church they do have to follow certain protocols so its not something thats easily done, a christening is easier but i guess because the person is having the child christened in to that certain religion, the church wouldnt turn that down would they.

i dont think its disrespectful as such more hypercritical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->