Not a good call from the Dr.......

Pumpkin

Reaction score
I am not going to panic because I know these things can be said and then the baby turns out fine but I got a call from the Dr. saying the blood test I took between 15 and 20 weeks came back abnormal and that they had to schedule me a high resolution ultrasound for the 3rd at 9am.

To freak me out a little more they threw in that I was testing abnormal for down syndrome and I swear I just wish they had not said that. I wish she played it off a little more like it is probably nothing and now you get to see your baby again next week, not jump to a disability.

I am only 28 and I have 2 perfect girls so I am hoping that this is just a fluke and everything will be ok but I am scared and I am not even sure I should tell daddy becuase he is one of those people that really freaks out with stuff.

Anyone else have this happen and get there happy ending?

:hugs: Im afraid I am no help with answers, but wanted to wish you good luck on the 3rd. I agree that the Dr should not have said anything. No point in stressing you out!:hugs: Hope you can remain calm.

Sorry hun, i don't know about stuff like this but didn't want to read and run
:hugs: :hugs:

Love the way Dr's tell you things over the phone, insensitive sods!

Hun im sure everyhing will be fine and your bloods maybe got contaminated?

Tell the father as im sure he should know? but tell him this and tell him not to worry, you just need to go for another scan to make sure everything is ok.

Im so sorry your having to go through this hun ...

Imi

xxx

Hiya Pumpkin

I'm sorry to read your bloods have come back showing abnormalities.

It's important to remember at this point that around 5% of normal pregnancies will have test results that are considered "abnormal", even when the baby is actually healthy. So basically your results coming back high does not mean that your baby definitely has downs. For this reason it is important not to make any decisions about your pregnancy based only on the AFP blood test. A positive AFP screening result only indicates that the pregnancy is at higher risk than originally believed, which is why a more detailed scan is required, as the test is not conclusive.
-I am sure everything will be fine!

hi hun i hope that everything is fine for u maybe jsut like imi said they got contaminated.....
im sure that everything will be fine hun.
huge hugs to you x

The 3rd isn't too long away - although it probably is for you :hugs: Youw ould think after them giving you a scare like that it would have been in a day or 2 ffs.

I hope everything is fine, going on what I've seen from other girlies I'm sure it is b ut my fingers will be crossed that this is just a scare for you hun.

x

I think bexxie may be best to answer as i think she was in similar situation.

I worked with someone who tested high risk, and her lo was absolutely fine.

Didnt want to read and run .. sure everything will be fine .. fingers crossed that this is just a scare. :hugs:

hi sorry about your blood test results. i got told my daughter was going to be disabled when my waters broke at 26 weeks as she was under developed they said she had 1% chance of surviving and if i managed to get to full term she'd be blind deaf and have mental disabilities anyway i ended up being a week over due when i had her and shes absolutley fine her eyes ears and shes certainly not slow! in fact shes extremely forward for her age try not to worry until you know for sure if theres anything wrong and even if your baby is disabled there are worse things that can happen and you will cope just as well as you would if it was 100% healthy. hope everything goes well for you x

I'm sure it will be fine hun

thinking of you (((hugs)))

try to think of it as you're getting a high res scan free and get to see your baby another time before it's born! :)

You're right to try and remain as calm as possible . You poor thing being given news like that over the phone. Rachel has some excellent stats there and just remember that your blood test results have shown that there is a HIGHER risk. Did they give you the 1:xx number?

GOod luck for your scan

Hi Pumpkin

Try to remember those odds are just a risk factor, did your 12 wk scan show your dates were right?

Not sure if this will help at all but a friend of a friend had low risk bloods, no markers at 20wk scan and had a baby girl with DS. That's why you need to concentrate on it just being a risk factor - her's showed low risk but that doesn't mean NO risk as it turned out.

I hope the 3rd comes quickly, are there things you can do to keep yourself really busy in the meantime?

Thinking of you

Hi there hunnie

I had an amnio done at 16 weeks as apparanetly I came up high risk but all was fine you know what and why/? I was actually 2 weeks behind dates and the AFP levels show high earlier on you are,please do not worry things are more likely to be fine this is a marker tests and is not reliable at all. The only way of knowing is through amnio,have you considered this?

Will be back on later baby is crying

bex

I had a friend who lost her baby due to an amnio, the odds are 1 in 100 of miscarriage. I am not willing to take that chance, if there is something wrong with my son I will just have to deal with it :0(

I had a friend who lost her baby due to an amnio, the odds are 1 in 100 of miscarriage. I am not willing to take that chance, if there is something wrong with my son I will just have to deal with it :0(
i'm sure you will be fine if there is something wrong i've always refused these tests as i know there not 100% and if it did show anything wrong i would still have the baby and cope there are lots of things out there to help you when you have a disabled child and i would feel awful if they said it was definatly disabled and i aborted the child as they could be wrong theres no guareentees . really hope your son will be ok

the amnio is 100% reliable there is no getting away from it unless of course human error deemed the result wrong.

The risks of an amnio are like you say 1% and my chances were 1 in 141 and I knew I would have not had a baby with Down Syndrome and would have terminated so I took that risk and the consultant who performed the test had an excellent success rate so I trusted her.

Whatever you decide good luck,but for me I would have ruined my pregnancy worrying so had to take the test also for obvious reasons would not have had the child with Downs. BTW before anyone shoots me I have YEARS of experience of children/adults with DS and I knew I did not want that for my child or myself.

Bex

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->