Not going there again!

leedsforever

Kerry!
Reaction score
I took my LO to the local clinic today to be weighed etc and I was NOT pleased!!

My HV weighed her every week since birth as her weight gain wasnt great and she advised to continue!!

Ive had no gavsicon this week so courtney has been very sicky with reflux so wanted to get her weight checked!

She only gained an oz in a week :( to which this HV didnt seem to think it was a problem and told me not to come every week! She also said that courtney should be on 7 small feeds a day!! WTF?!?! :hissy: And basically said the 6ozs im giving her at each feed is too much which is why she has reflux!! But uh hello missis she wants it so what am I meant to do when shes crying for more!!

My own HV is so much nicer and said it was a good thing when i told her I had upted her feed!!

It really bugs me when there is no consistance! i could also really tell she wanted to get home quick! My friends baby was being weighed by the other HV and she was rude too!!

:hissy: so not going back there!!

but on a good note... she somehow... must have been a fluke but put her own dummy in her mouth!!

I would go back but tell them you wish to have her weighed for your own benefit and do not want them to comment on how you're doing things?

:hug: sorry the woman was so mean to you

I would go back but tell them you wish to have her weighed for your own benefit and do not want them to comment on how you're doing things?

I so should do that!! I know my baby and I know what, when and how much she likes to feed!! :hissy:

My friend said it was the same woman who told her that her baby wasnt getting enough feeds!

:rofl: Caitlyn lost weight one week and they were trying to tell me what to do, and I told them that I am her mum and although they think they know everything I ACTUALLY know her best.

First they tell me I'm feeding her too much, now I'm not feeding her enough. Make your freaking minds up. They strive for the perfect 50percentile weight so much that they contradict themselves all the bloody time. It drives me nuts!

I'm sorry you girls have such bad experiences with HV, move to Wrexham, my HV is great!!

I'm sorry you girls have such bad experiences with HV, move to Wrexham, my HV is great!!

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad time too - My HV's are sooo chilled - they never try to tell me what to do, & aren't sticklers for following 'the guidelines' either - must be a Welsh thing eh Kaci?:happydance:

yeh my own HV associated with my surgery is FAB!! im going to go to my surgery from now on!!

I went to a different clinic this week, and the HV was wonderful, she had so much time for me and chatted to Chloe, i bounced loads of things off her and she didnt make me feel stupid- they lay on teas and coffees to encourage you to chat to other mums. It was great, will be going there from now on!

Sorry yours was so naff Kerry

my HV is pants too kerry, shes always telling me maddi was putting on too much weight and made me feel like such a bad mum, i was in tears every time i saw here. the last two times i've taken maddi i've had two different hv's who have all been really nice and positive. i don't no why some of them are so horrid. so sorry you've had a rough time :hugs:
i agree with toria - mum knows best - after all we're with them all the time! your doing a wonderful job :hugs:

I'd try another clinic (like the one with the HV from your surgery) if you don't feel confident enough to tell them where to go as Toria suggested!

I'm lucky, my HV visits us at home still. I did take him to clinic once (our HV was doing it) but Ally screamed the place down and as she was coming to see us the week after anyway she just agreed that for now she'll still come and do it at our house lol. I think she likes it because I'm on her way home and if she visits us in the late afternoon she gets off early.

The HV at my clinic is a moron aswell hun actually change that to all the HV i've come across have been morons so far

The first time I met the HV she decided that I was traumatised from my labour & spiriling into PND & I needed councelling!! She got this all from this comment 'I wouldn't do that again' I mean come on, i'm sure straight after a bad labour we've all said something like that but not actually mean it.

Then she said she wouldn't need to visit me again as I have a nice house & my mum can help me!! Ok my mum is great but she isn't a health professional & can't advise on everything!

I also got told not to take Maya to clinic every week but ive decided to ignore this lol! I love having her weighed, not just for my reassurance but I look jotting it down in Mayas first year calander!! Everyweek they basicly tell me i'm wasting my time - Oh do one lol

HV's!!!! Apologise in advance if there are any HV's on here but they are useless!

You should use my trick my HV was spouting advise left right and centre so i asked her what she did when her babies were little......................Shock horror she doesn't have kids!

I continued to say that as much as i realised she is textbook trained my baby came from me not a library book so i think i will continue with what i want and what my baby needs

HAHA!

I agree. I decided after Sam didn't gain much weight for a couple of weeks that I'd take him to be weighed whenever I wanted but if they started telling me to do things I wasn't happy with I wouldn't let them make me feel guilty about not doing it. They've actually been great since then (and keep telling me I don't need to take him back until he's a year old but I'm still taking him every couple of months to make sure he's ok now he's on solids).

You know her and what's best for her, how much she wants etc. All the conflicting advice really annoys me - you have one person telling you to feed on demand and however much they want to take, other people saying they should be having a certain amount a set number of times a day. Make up your minds people!! :grr:

Sorry :blush: ...just meant to say that you're doing a great job and you should do whatever you feel is right :hugs: x

The first time I met the HV she decided that I was traumatised from my labour & spiriling into PND & I needed councelling!! She got this all from this comment 'I wouldn't do that again' I mean come on, i'm sure straight after a bad labour we've all said something like that but not actually mean it.

They're so quick to assume there's something wrong every time!! I remember so clearly saying I never wanted to go through labour again (just because of the 49 hours of pain, Sam's birth was amazing :cloud9:) but I didn't mean it either...I couldn't be happier and now I can't wait to do it again! x

What are you supposed to do when shes asking for food? Ignore her? :roll:

They always contradict themselves! My neonatal nurse tells me Lola-Rose's weight is doing ok,2 HOURS later her replacement tells me that what I'm feeding her is too much and she's gaining weight too fast! :saywhat: She isn't gaining too much at all!

So clueless,sorry yous is such an idiot too! :hugs:

my ali suffers from really bad wind (well, i think it is wind) and i was told by the doctor i was overfeeding him and that his feeds are too large:cry:

docs advice was to give him smaller feeds (like a 3oz bottle - not the 5oz i have been giving him).

i have been doing this since friday and what a difference. he is crying a lot less, sleeping better, not howling in pain during the night and no more green poo.

BUT

the health visitors told me to try and get him up to 5oz bottles! i am so bloody confused too.

i am going on what the doc said as ali does appear happier!

:hug:

Christine
X

my doc told me to have smaller more spaced out meals when Ted was suffering badly from colic (even though he wanted to eat lots...he loooves his milky). It did help. I suppose maybe the HV thinks there'll be less reflux with smaller meals?
Do what you think is best. Take in all the different advice and see what works best for you.
Just make sure you dont ignore advice because it annoyed you the way you were spoken to...I know I felt like a fool when I was told he was gaining too much weight and wanted the doc to be wrong. In fact she was right...a bit...;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->