Not sure how to handle my classmates tonight

spunky84

TTC #4
Reaction score
My second semester just started Monday. One of the classes I have to take is Chemistry (basic 101 course - for 8 weeks). Tonight is our first lab.

I've already talked to my instructor, so he knows. He's going to get me a list of all labs so that I can take them into my doctor, but by the time I see my doctor, it'll be halfway through the course. I'm not sure if I can get in any sooner.

The most that I know about tonight's lab is that we're going to be working with hydrochloric acid. Most labs will be 4-5 hours, but tonight's should be relatively short as he needs to go over some other material before, so maybe 2 hours?

Anyway, based on my research, hydrochloric acid is unlikely to cause harm to the baby. I'm thinking about wearing a mask still in addition to all the other protective equipment, but I'm guessing no one else will be wearing one. I don't know what to expect as far as odor goes, so I'm not sure if I can say it's to block out odor (we worked with a lot of dissection last semester where the smell was awful - not sure how chemicals are even comparable to formaldehyde).

We're working with kits, so we only have enough chemical to do the lab (in partners).

I'm not really sure how to respond with inquiries (there may not be any, but I'm also not really ready for my classmates to know if they do ask - but then again, it might inevitable that they find out sooner than I'd like if I ever have to duck out of the room for small periods of time).

Last night we were talking about babies, a few of us. I mentioned that my SIL just had #3 Monday night and my other SIL is having her second June/July. They joked that I'm next. I didn't even know what to say.

So I'm just not sure how to keep this quiet if I have to do things a little differently for safety. Maybe not this lab, but maybe one of the others.

Suggestions?

I would be honest and tell the what is going on! I think this is the best for now to make sure you are relax about going to the lab!
Good luck

the uni/college are not allowed to let you work with any chemical dangerous to unborn babies... if you have told the course leaders, lab tutor and health and safety adviser they HAVE to do risk assesment

therefore wearing a mask in a lab thats been deamed safe will make you look mad... I do medical science and spent all day yesterday handelling unknown viruses with no mask as did the 5 other girls on my course that got pregnant and had babies and everyone has been fine, if any practical includes a 'dangerous chemical' you will be given a substitute to use that is safe

p.s... smell cannot affect anything except your own gag reflex

You don't have to tell anyone until YOU are ready :) It's none of their business. If you want to wear a mask, or even gloves for that matter, they don't need to know the reason why.

^ you should wear gloves in a lab... thats common sense

the uni/college are not allowed to let you work with any chemical dangerous to unborn babies... if you have told the course leaders, lab tutor and health and safety adviser they HAVE to do risk assesment

therefore wearing a mask in a lab thats been deamed safe will make you look mad... I do medical science and spent all day yesterday handelling unknown viruses with no mask as did the 5 other girls on my course that got pregnant and had babies and everyone has been fine, if any practical includes a 'dangerous chemical' you will be given a substitute to use that is safe

p.s... smell cannot affect anything except your own gag reflex

Thank you for that info!

DH just told me that the mask would do nothing so it'd be pointless.

It's chem 101 and the instructor said we really won't be doing anything dangerous. He even said that in micro we won't be handling anything too horrible.

I was just worried and taking extra precautions! I've been doing all the googling I can on this and it's been really hard to find any information, so I really appreciate this!

Oh, and everyone is required to wear aprons, googles, and gloves, so that should be fine.

I'm pretty sure there's no risk to your baby from being around HCl. If you get it on your skin you might get a superficial burn, and if you're really stressing about odour, you could ask to do your work under the fume hood, but aside from taking normal precautions (lab coat, safety goggles and gloves), you really don't need to stress about it. It only forms a toxic gas when mixed with certain other chemicals.

A fact that should help you relax a bit is that you already have hydrochloride acid in your body as it is part of your stomach acid. So chill. :)

you're welcome

if you have long hair you should also tie it back/up and tucked in the back of your lab coat... bunsens are hell for setting fire to loose hair and in micro your hair can go in samples and get contaminated if its long

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"