Nothing on abdominal ultrasound at supposed to be 8 weeks

Missy1992

Reaction score
Yesterday I had an ultrasound and a private ultrasound place where they only do abdominal ultrasounds. Going off my last period I should have been 8 weeks 4 days yesterday. The ultrasound tech was not able to find the baby at all. She told me I shouldn’t worry because baby is still very small right now and I’d probably need a transvaginal ultrasound to find it. I’m not sure if she was only saying that to be nice and because she doesn’t want to be the one to tell me any bad news. I have an ultrasound scheduled with my ob on the 12th which will be my dating scan and I should be 10 weeks at that point. I am worried now that there won’t be a baby :nope: is it possible that baby is too small right now to find on an abdominal ultrasound? Or should I prepare myself for the worst?:sad1:

If you have long or irregular cycles you could be earlier than 8 weeks. With my first I had scan on abdomen at first and they didn't see a baby, so they did vaginal and saw healthy baby measuring 7+1. This time I opted to skip abdominal at 7.5 weeks because I didn't want to panic if we didn't see baby.

I have not kept track of my periods just before I got pregnant but they were usually pretty normal around every 28 days. If I am off on my dates I think it would only be by a few days if I ovulated late. I got a positive on a frer the day of my missed period but it was very faint. So I am thinking I could be a couple days off but not sure if that’d make much of a difference.

My frer had a positive 5 days before my AF due date. A frer on date of AF or missed AF is as dark as control or close to it. It sounds like you Od later and may be almost a week off on dates by your test. It's not uncommon to have an odd cycle.

I looked back at my test progression and the day after AF was due was darker than control. I will say a week makes a big difference in the early stages of pregnancy.

Thank you for your response. Maybe you are right that I O’d a little later and am not as far as I think I am. I had taken an frer a few days before I thought my period was supposed to be due but it was a bfn. So I probably was having a longer cycle the month I got pregnant.

I had an abdominal scan at 8w and 4 days and they were able to see the baby. It is definitely possible that you O'd a little earlier than you thought which might be why they couldn't see it!

If they weren't worried, they might not have a very powerful machine. It's not just bodies that ate different, it's age of tech in these places that factors in as well

If this is your first your uterus may just be tucked too low. Each subsequent baby after that will have your uterus rising faster in the beginning. This is my third and I saw baby abdominally at 7 and a half weeks, but who knows if we would see anything with my first at the same gestation.

This is my second. My first will be 5 in a couple months. Also I forgot to mention that when I was pregnant last time I was told I have a tilted uterus. Not sure if that would make it more difficult to see baby? My appointment with my ob is in a week and I am so impatient.

ya a tilted uterus could definitely impact things! I hope thats all it is!

Don't worry sometimes it happens 3-month ultrasound not clear everything. In my friend's case his wife known at 5 months that her baby has no heartbeats.

You can ready for both positive or negative results.

Sending you positive thoughts for your next scan Missy. Hopeful you receive fantastic news :hugs:

Thank you everyone for your replies! I just wanted to update I did have a scan with my ob and she was able to very easily find baby with an abdominal scan. Baby is measuring a few days off which puts my due date back a few days but that just makes me think I was right when I said I think I ovulated later in the cycle when I got pregnant.

Fabulous news! So glad it turned out this way!

Wonderful news!!! I thought that was most likely what it was and thanks for updating :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->