November 2012 Due Dates

no kidding! Its taking everything I have to not up and leave today...UGH. I'm slowly calming down but i'm not handling it so well.

I think in my workplace (okay, where I USED to work), if a manager was asked to keep something in confidence like that and then went and told everyone, they should be in some kind of trouble! Honestly. I'm sorry you're one HR person can't be counted on to help you. That's a crappy situation! I didn't tell at my work until I was around 11 weeks (eta: with my first). I think at the time I had a really crappy cold and my MS was reaching it's peak, so I was pretty miserable and wanted them to know I wasn't slacking.

yeah I wish I had waited. I just thought telling the one person who needs to know why I'm being the way I am would be a good idea. Obviously it was a MISTAKE...guess I'll know if there is every a next time...though my goal is to be a stay at home mom so hopefully I only have less than 8 more months to keep my head up. Thanks everyone for the support...makes me feel like I'm not overreacting. I just don't know if I should talk to her about it or not.

yeah I was upset when she told her friend who told a friend who told a friend who told me...but when she ANNOUNCED it at a MANAGEMENT meeting I wanted to cry. WHY would she do that? Its still so early!

Do think it stems from jealousy? Not that it's an excuse, but I can't imagine why one woman would do this to another woman??? It's really insensitive and unprofessional. Sorry you're dealing with this... you're a better woman that me! I would have flown off the handles and told my boss exactly how crappy I thought it was.

yeah I was upset when she told her friend who told a friend who told a friend who told me...but when she ANNOUNCED it at a MANAGEMENT meeting I wanted to cry. WHY would she do that? Its still so early!

Do think it stems from jealousy? Not that it's an excuse, but I can't imagine why one woman would do this to another woman??? It's really insensitive and unprofessional. Sorry you're dealing with this... you're a better woman that me! I would have flown off the handles and told my boss exactly how crappy I thought it was.

I don't know...she is old enough to be my mom. We have (or should I say HAD) a very good working relationship so I can't figure it out. I know she has a big mouth but I still thought I could trust her when it came down to something I asked her to keep confidential. Obviously I was mistaken.

Holls, I totally don't think you are over reacting. I think your boss needed to tell the HR team to ensure you're covered but it's HRs responsibility to be discreet. It's part of the job! I would have a little word with the HR Manager, even though she's friends with your boss. It's totally unacceptable. Just mentioned that you are upset as it's such a delicate time and you really don't want people to know. xxx

Like Bookity said, I've worked for several companies where this would be a serious disciplinary matter.

I know...At least give me two more weeks then I'll feel better...though I would have waited even longer than that to tell a lot of people here. I also just found out that I guess not only does everyone in the office know now this was a region wide conference call...so Everyone in the surrounding 3 states in our company now know!!!

I know...At least give me two more weeks then I'll feel better...though I would have waited even longer than that to tell a lot of people here. I also just found out that I guess not only does everyone in the office know now this was a region wide conference call...so Everyone in the surrounding 3 states in our company now know!!!

That's definitely illegal and grounds for firing.

Really? But if I can't turn to our HR manager than who do I go to?

Really? But if I can't turn to our HR manager than who do I go to?

The HR person is really the only one to talk to (IMHO). I can't imagine someone in HR dismissing feelings after a pregnant woman walks in and tells them they were offended by the sharing of private medical/health information. Can you imagine if (god forbid) the medical condition you were telling your boss about was cancer, or AIDS, and now it's been told to everyone? Spreading ANY kind of private information about someone's health condition is a violation regardless of the condition (even if it's a happy one like being pregnant :). It's still YOUR information, YOUR condition, to be able to share with people at YOUR leisure/when YOU are comfortable with it, not them.

As ridiculous as this sounds, it is possible the HR person and your boss don't know/can't comprehend that what they did was rude and violatory to you, so if you sit down and make them aware of how you feel and what they've done, it's possible they may understand and apologize. If you don't tell them, they'll never know how you feel.....what's obvious to you may not be to them (I only say this because I've run across one too many coworkers that are not the brightest crayon in the box).

Please speak up, if for no other reason than to put to rest your anger and not feel like your rights were trampled on. Sorry you have to deal with this now! :hugs:

xoxoxo

I estimate Nov 18th from my bbt charting. Cute little bitty scorpio. :D

Hollserna- This appears to be a hipaa violation. Your manager did have an obligation to alert HR due to this at some point becoming an FMLA issue. She also had a responsibility to keep this information private which she did not do. You have three options: Go to your HR Manager or find someone at the corporate level so that you feel protected. Option two is to be honest and upfront with your boss that she hurt you and what she did was inappropriate. Both options could turn a bad situation worse however. Finally, you can chalk it up to your boss being a social moron and try to move past it and assume that she just a bit too excited for you.

This is exactly why people don't say anything until they are further along. Some people just can't stop themselves from taking your good news and making it their own.

It definately is a HIPAA violation though, so if you wanted to do something about it, you absolutely can!

Thanks guys...guess I have to figure out what to do now. I'll keep you posted and keep our fingers crossed for me please!

Agh, my nose has become my daughter's favorite teether. I get close, she grabs my hair and throws herself at my face and bites down on my nose! There's no teeth broken thru yet, so it's not that bad... Yet. I imagine it'd hurt a lot when she has teeth.

Holls- keep us updated! I really hope that your boss didn't realize what a mistake she was making. And like Stephers said, definitely a HIPPA violation. And also with Halfthyme about how you might want to go about handling it.

Holls, I agree with Stephers. Talk to someone at the corporate level if you don't feel comfortable talking to the HR person in your office. I hope everything works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->