***November Sparklers 2012***(101)babies(14)angels**33 babies here

I've barely had any gifts :O I did get a couple of packages from my brothers with clothes. But mostly we just bought it all ourselves. We didn't go all out or anything, so it didn't end up being a huge amount. But our biggest purchase by far was a new dryer! lol

I am glad we are not doing baby shpwers here- I end up with lots of used stuff anyway :haha:

It's really interesting hearing ladies from the US talking about the preparations as they seem to be heavily dependent on baby showers. It's really not that common here in the UK although I think this may change as we're so heavily influenced by the States and anyone loves an excuse for some freebies :) As it's not the norm here, I find that there are a lot of hand-me-downs but also people being really froogle and just buying the necessities. Of course there are gifts when the baby arrives but generally it's toys and clothes. We are so lucky to have family with lots of older kids so we have been given so much stuff.

I agree F&C, I've never been to a baby shower although a girl at work is arranging one for me.
I've been given a few hand me downs and will probably get lots of baby clothes once the baby is born.

You're right F&C, we do heavily depend on the showers. We do get hand me downs as well, however we register for items that we'll use from birth through toddler years. For instance, learning toys, feeding accessories (spoons, plates, bowls, sippy cups, etc.), convertible car seats, umbrella strollers, etc. So we not only do we get things for infancy, but a good portion of the stuff we'll need through 2-3 years old. It'll be interesting to see if showers become more popular in the UK... I can't remember ever not having showers here but they're definitely more extravagant now than they've ever been.

I wish more gals here in the US would be open to hand me downs. The baby showers have gotten so fancy and I know a couple gals who would look down their noses at a hand me down. So many of the baby items last FOREVER but are only appropriate up to a certain age. We've tried to make it clear we love any freebies in good condition. :haha:

Silly.

I LOVE hand me downs! I'll take anything, haha. Well...given its in good condition and comes from a non smoking home...

I have bought probably 90% of his baby clothes used and I am so glad! I have TONS of clothing up to 6-12 months and have maybe spent $120 or so...

In Canada we do showers but they are nothing like some of the 80 guest, renting a hall type of thing I have heard about from some ladies on here...more like 20 ladies at my friends place :) Super fun, so awesome to see everyone and eat yummy food and talk about babies!

That's exactly how showers used to be here... just a few close family and friends at someones house with cake and punch... now we rent out a room for a restaraunt or country club and have the event catered. It's way too much in my opinion, but when someone is generous enough to offer to throw a shower for you, it's hard to say no to their over the top ideas. You ladies should see all the stuff my sister has together for our shower next weekend... it's plain ridiculous. I'll post pictures of the set-up if I remember to take some (LOL!). I'm sure it'll give you a laugh.

I agree that showers in the US have gotten a little out of control. Back "in the day", having a shower for subsequent children was a complete no-no, but now it's like ladies are having showers for every baby that comes along - 4th, 5th, whatever, let's have a party!

With our first, it was ALL hand-me-downs, with the exception of our crib. It was great. I haven't really had to buy anything for my son (Mrs. - yes, he's 10), until the last few years when the hand-me-downs come pretty worn out. My sister has a son 2 years older and 2 years younger than mine, so I get the hand-me-downs and then hand them right back. It's GREAT!!

DH and I are in a much better position financially this time, and there are a few friends having babies recently that aren't in as good of a position, so any of the hand-me-downs that have been offered this time around I have offered to one of my other friends (or family). So we've had to end up purchasing most of what we need. Most of my shower gifts were clothes, which is fabulous, but I still need to get all the little necessities like diapers, onesies, pacifiers, etc. and it's amazing me how fast that all adds up! I guess it's just such a shock this time around because we bought nothing the first time around!

But indeed, we're super lucky here in the states to have showers. However, I would never (and didn't this time) rely on my showers to get me everything I need. For me, it's an excuse to celebrate my LONG awaited little one.

I've been so lucky with hand me downs thankfully as god knows how we could have afforded it! I've never been to a baby shower but i think you may be right f&c about it taking off over here at some point as most of the girls in my ante natal class have had one. I like the idea of a small one to welcome the soon to be here baby as a little celebration.

I've bought everything new for this baby - knowing that we will be having another within 2 years, and they won't get the same luxury poor things :haha: xxx

I'm jealous of the big showers you girls over in the US & Canada have! We did get a few of the expensive bits (pram, car seat, etc) bought for us with DD by our in-laws and my parents so it wasn't too bad. This baby has all her sisters hand me down's and I've been doing some amazing preloved hunting on eBay and netmums etc, I've got so much great stuff (some brand new/worn once) and for so little. Could have saved a fortune if I'd done this with DD :haha: it's different with your first though, it's new and exciting so it's great getting everything brand spanking new from the shops!

Yes, happy weekend to all! It's a holiday weekend in Canada (our Thanksgiving) and we are fully loaded this weekend.

My parents are visiting today, and we are finally buying our stroller! It's a gift from them (a big one) and we decided on the Bumbleride Indie. It was down to that or the BOB. Anyone make the same choice?

Tomorrow we head on a little road trip to a family wedding, then a little further Monday for our turkey dinner!

Man, I will be exhausted by Tuesday!!!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
I woke up so happy at 7am after having the best sleep I've had in a long time! 3whole hours in a row! Haha sad when u get to the point where that is exciting!
I'm starting to finally feel better from this stupid cold so that is nice to, unfortunately my voice doesn't sound that good but I'll take what I can get!

I'm having my baby shower next weekend. I'm from Canada. It isn't going to be anything to extravagant, I don't think, my mom/aunt/friend are planning it so I'm not totally sure what is taking place. But I do know it's going to be at my aunts house with friends and family, ladies only. Baby showers are super helpful to get you started with at least all the basics, I'm glad we do them here. Im deff not aposed to second hand things! As long as they're clean, from a non smoking home(im super allergic and not good for baby) and in good shape I'm fine with it!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
I woke up so happy at 7am after having the best sleep I've had in a long time! 3whole hours in a row! Haha sad when u get to the point where that is exciting!

I think we'll all be there in a month :)

Happy belated thanks giving Gaia. Hope you had fun with your family.

My cold seems to be lasting forever too. It's worse at night and it's causing me to wake so between that and my hips I'm not getting much sleep. Still I read some of my journal and last time I was struggling a lot more so I know how lucky I am.

I think I have got to the point though where I'm having to rest a lot more and not do so much. I'm finishing work in a couple of weeks which will help and my dh has started helping with the baby room so we're finally getting there.

Yah F&C I am definitely at that point! Tired and needing to conserve energy :)

SO glad to be finished work, we got so much progress made on the baby room and baby stuff just in ONE week with me not teaching. We will easily be ready in another 3!

My massage therapist had the exact same due date as me with her son though...and he was born on Oct 19! So yah, that's crazy to me that really it could be anytime after that too...

Finally bit the bullet and got the stroller! Had to order it though and it's 4-6 weeks. I figure we won't be using it too much when the baby is in his first few weeks, we will likely use a carrier that early...

With our first practically all our stuff was hand me downs which was really appreciated at the time but now I kind of feel like I've missed out on picking our own stuff-especially as it is all coming out again soon. All this baby has had new is a hooded towel and a first outfit which is a babygro and vest.

F&C - I've got a cold going on now as well, better now than in a few weeks though

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"